Remo Vintage A's

ludwigvondrumcrazy

Just a head’s up, pun intended, Remo is expanding the Vintage A line to include a 10”, 12”, 13” & 16” to go along with the 14” (Batter) that they started offering last year. The Vintage A’s are a 2-ply (7.5 – 3 mil) coated Ambassador similar to Remo’s first plastic head so is basically a reproduction that, in my humble opinion, is a nice cross between a 1-ply (10 mil) Ambassador and their 2-ply coated Emperor (7 – 7mil.)

When these new sizes will be available I can’t say with any certainty but it should be soon, so soon in fact that I have already pre-ordered some of the new traditional sizes to go along with the supply of 14’s I picked up late last year. Because these were intended to be a limited time offering in celebration of Remo’s 50th Anniversary (2007) I took no chances and stocked up before they were discontinued so I was glad to see the line carried on and get expanded…………

LVDC

Hello Ludwigvondrumcrazy,

I'm wondering why you refuse to answer my e-mails.
If I've said something wrong, please tell me and we could solve the misunderstanding.
I'd like to keep you as a nice overseas friend and exchange ideas about drum restauration.

Koen, Belgium

Just a head’s up, pun intended, Remo is expanding the Vintage A line to include a 10”, 12”, 13” & 16” to go along with the 14” (Batter) that they started offering last year. The Vintage A’s are a 2-ply (7.5 – 3 mil) coated Ambassador similar to Remo’s first plastic head so is basically a reproduction that, in my humble opinion, is a nice cross between a 1-ply (10 mil) Ambassador and their 2-ply coated Emperor (7 – 7mil.)

When these new sizes will be available I can’t say with any certainty but it should be soon, so soon in fact that I have already pre-ordered some of the new traditional sizes to go along with the supply of 14’s I picked up late last year. Because these were intended to be a limited time offering in celebration of Remo’s 50th Anniversary (2007) I took no chances and stocked up before they were discontinued so I was glad to see the line carried on and get expanded…………

LVDC
That's good news. I did pick up a Vintage A for my Supra, but didn't like it on the snare. I've always preferred the Ambassador on snares. But, I popped that sucker on my 14" DW keller-shelled tom and it sounded pretty sweet. I think these will be great on toms.

Yea man! The Vintage A's are a nice head indeed. I bought a 14" for my Ludwig Acrolite and love it. Good feel and perfect tuning.

Good to see they expanded it.

Remo is expanding the Vintage A line to include a 10”, 12”, 13” & 16” to go along with the 14” (Batter) that they started offering last year. The Vintage A’s are a 2-ply (7.5 – 3 mil) coated Ambassador similar to Remo’s first plastic head so is basically a reproduction that, in my humble opinion, is a nice cross between a 1-ply (10 mil) Ambassador and their 2-ply coated Emperor (7 – 7mil.)LVDC

Thanks for the information! What head would you suggest using on the resonant side when applying the Vintage A's on the batter side of Toms? I'm currently running Coated Emperors over Coated Ambassadors.

Hugh

Thanks for the information! What head would you suggest using on the resonant side when applying the Vintage A's on the batter side of Toms? I'm currently running Coated Emperors over Coated Ambassadors.

Hugh

Most guys today use clear 10-mil single-ply resos such as clear Ambassadors or Evans G1s. They are suitable for just about any batter head.

Some do use coated resos for a warmer, drier sound. The coated resos were part of Bonham's sound.

Thanks! While we are talking heads, and this is a bit off the subject, but I recall hearing Bob Gatzen talkig about how a thinner head is actually less resonant. Has anyone else noticed this?

Mike

Yeah, I found that on my drums too.
Not only less resonant, but a quicker sound--which is different than "less resonant".

They were drier sounding for me too, which can be good at times.

I pretty much stick to Coated Amb. top, Clear Amb. bottom.

They just work for everything I do, sound great, and they tune up easy.

I'd try the vintage A's on my kit if they had an 18" size readily available.*
I could probably order one, but then I'd have to wait... and who wants to do that!?!

* see how I got the post back on the thread topic?...pretty slick huh!

:p

It was too dead on mine too!
I have the Hammered version--6.5

And kinda dead on the Classic Maple 6.5 too.

I'd try them on the kit, but I'm happy with the standard Ambassadors.....

Update: While I can't say for sure about the 13 & 16" I know for a fact that the 10 & 12" are now available. Some arrived at a friend's shop the other day........

When the other sizes do show I'm going to eventually give them a shot (batters only) on my 1971 Ludwigs even though I've pretty much gone back to my roots of using the regular Ambassador's for most of my Kits. I tried all kinds of different heads from different Companies but found myself going back to where I started, coated Amb's over coated Amb's........

LVDC

Update: While I can't say for sure about the 13 & 16" I know for a fact that the 10 & 12" are now available. Some arrived at a friend's shop the other day........

When the other sizes do show I'm going to eventually give them a shot (batters only) on my 1971 Ludwigs even though I've pretty much gone back to my roots of using the regular Ambassador's for most of my Kits. I tried all kinds of different heads from different Companies but found myself going back to where I started, coated Amb's over coated Amb's........

LVDC
Please do give an update LVDC. I was actually thinking of trying some CS clear black dots on my ' 71 kit. I assume these would be great for unmiced, louder blues/rock?

LVDC

Think i may put in an order for a set even if i dont use them now, for future use - especially if they are limited time offering.

Does anyone know if the 10" & 12" are still availble? Where did people order them from?

They should be since they just became available a couple of weeks ago, which could pose a problem finding them, especially on-line if retailers haven't updated their web-sites recently.

Any Remo Dealer should be able to get them for you...........

LVDC

As of today, 04-30-2008, the Vintage A's should be available through any Remo Dealer in 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 15", 16" & 18"...........

LVDC

I bought a 13 inch Vintage A last night at GC so the heads are out and on dealers shelves.

This head went on a 13 X 6.5 brass snare. I couldn't play it due to the hour, but did get to tap it lightly to tune it. It has a slightly drier sound than a regular Ambassador. Not as much as the Evans dry heads though.

As others have said, this might be a good choice for aggressive sounding metal snares.

Back