Elvin Jones

http://www.drummagazine.com/special/elvin-jones

"Take him out of the history of this music and suddenly you have nobody there to prove that drummers could play in rhythm and out of meter at the same time. You have nobody making the case that the drums could play with rather than behind a soloist. You have nobody pushing way beyond the beat, into texture and dynamic interaction, where drummers once scarcely roamed."

Can anyone recommend albums that are like "heavy sounds" with himself and Richard Davis? Love the sound of "raunchy rita". Any old fusion stuff?

Hi,
this is my first reply on here been watching the forum for quite a while and just decided to join. I'm doing a lecture on Elvin Jones, I was wondering if anyone knew what heads he used. I know he used coated ambassadors snare and toms any idea what the bass drum head is maybe ambassador? and what are the reso heads, diplomats/ambassadors?
Also does any one have any concepts that Elvin played with i.e one I picked up was that he would play a phrase on his bass drum and fill in all the triplet gaps with his left hand while playing time.

thanks

I personally like the album by Larry Young entitled "Unity." But anything Elvin touches is gold. Midas technique when on the throne.

Hi,
this is my first reply on here been watching the forum for quite a while and just decided to join. I'm doing a lecture on Elvin Jones, I was wondering if anyone knew what heads he used. I know he used coated ambassadors snare and toms any idea what the bass drum head is maybe ambassador? and what are the reso heads, diplomats/ambassadors?
Also does any one have any concepts that Elvin played with i.e one I picked up was that he would play a phrase on his bass drum and fill in all the triplet gaps with his left hand while playing time.

thanks

Yeah I heard about that concept, and have noticed it.

My favorite quote about Elvin:

"Just listen to any drummer before Elvin and any drummer after him!"
- Ron Carter

i love elvins playing i got to see him only once but it was amazing the sound from his ride was from heaven.

Hi,
any idea what the bass drum head is maybe ambassador?

thanks

I understand this post is about 2 years too late .....but here is your answer :)
elvinskick.jpg

I understand this post is about 2 years too late .....but here is your answer :)
elvinskick.jpg

Just stumbled on this.... Wonderful pic Anthony!

Elvin is / was / and still is one of the most gifted drummers ever. Music is better, drum history is changed because of Elvin - no doubt.

Just stumbled on this.... Wonderful pic Anthony!

Elvin is / was / and still is one of the most gifted drummers ever. Music is better, drum history is changed because of Elvin - no doubt.

absolutely D

we are lucky to have everything he left for us to listen to and pull inspiration from

I did not know which Elvin Jones thread to place this question in, I decided on this one since it discusses a lot of Elvin as a man, and not just his great drumming.

I like purchasing CD's and Records to listen to music. It gives back to the artists a little that way, I feel. Well of course we lost Elvin a few years ago, but his estate would most likely benefit from the purchases.

I purchased Bill Fresell with Dave Holland and Elvin Jones. It is not a bad CD but Elvin does not sound like Elvin on this CD.

I've read a few reviews of this CD online, but other then commenting on Elvin's playing no one gave a reason. I was wondering if anyone could shed some light onto this and what made Elvin play so different on this CD.

I did not know which Elvin Jones thread to place this question in, I decided on this one since it discusses a lot of Elvin as a man, and not just his great drumming.

I like purchasing CD's and Records to listen to music. It gives back to the artists a little that way, I feel. Well of course we lost Elvin a few years ago, but his estate would most likely benefit from the purchases.

I purchased Bill Fresell with Dave Holland and Elvin Jones. It is not a bad CD but Elvin does not sound like Elvin on this CD.

I've read a few reviews of this CD online, but other then commenting on Elvin's playing no one gave a reason. I was wondering if anyone could shed some light onto this and what made Elvin play so different on this CD.

if you listen to the record you can plainly hear that it is almost more of a progressive folk album than a jazz album

I was studying with Elvin during the time this album was recorded in NY and San Francisco ..... he enjoyed it very much... he loved stepping out of what was expected of him and playing what the music asked for .

Elvin said to me many times.... "play music man, just play music... don't play drums, drums are boring,... don't get all drummy play music"

can you imagine Elvin playing on Moon River on that album the way he plays on Resolution ???.... I cannot.... it would have destroyed the personality and integrity of the Bills work... and he knew that

it still sounds 100% Elvin to me .... his groans and growls are there... his intensity is there ....his little flows and tendencies are there...... it's all there just in a different mood

Elvin was a lot of things.... but a one trick pony he was not and this album proves that

fantastic drumming all over that record .... just amazing

if you listen to the record you can plainly hear that it is almost more of a progressive folk album than a jazz album

I was studying with Elvin during the time this album was recorded in NY and San Francisco ..... he enjoyed it very much... he loved stepping out of what was expected of him and playing what the music asked for .

Elvin said to me many times.... "play music man, just play music... don't play drums, drums are boring,... don't get all drummy play music"

can you imagine Elvin playing on Moon River on that album the way he plays on Resolution ???.... I cannot.... it would have destroyed the personality and integrity of the Bills work... and he knew that

it still sounds 100% Elvin to me .... his groans and growls are there... his intensity is there ....his little flows and tendencies are there...... it's all there just in a different mood

Elvin was a lot of things.... but a one trick pony he was not and this album proves that

fantastic drumming all over that record .... just amazing

Thank you both Elvin and "WhoIsTony?" for the drumming/ music lesson.

Back