Speed King or Pearl P2000?

Animalll

I no longer want to play a chain driven pedal, and want to try out something more direct like the Speed King or the P2000. What are your experiences with these 2 pedals good or bad? These fit into my price range, and would like to hear what you have to say.

Thanks.

Wow, two completely different pedals.​
The Speed King ... a classic pedal .... that has certainly stood the test of time. Simplicity at it's best, or worst. All depends if you like it, or not. Very little adjustment can be done.​
The Pearl, as a modern pedal ... not quite infinite adjustability ... but almost.​
What you really need to do, is get your feet on both pedals, if that's possible. You'll know immediately if the Speed King might work for you. I used to play one. My first good drum pedal. But nowdays, I've put so many miles (and other pedals) between me and the Speed King, I'll stick to my Yamaha Direct Drive. The Speed King, just part of my pedal collection now.​
The Pearl, mess around with it enough, and you might get it to feel like a Speed King ... but in the long run, the Pearl is gonna give you way more options. It's just a matter of "do you need those options"?​

Yeah thats the problem.... I've already exhausted my search in all the music stores. All they ever seem to carry is your $90 chain pedals (and that's all i've owned). I can't ever seem to find a music store that carries anything different. I am just trying to find a "quicker" pedal.

Well, quick ... Ian Paice and Carl Palmer, back in the "old days", both played Speed King pedals ... and those guys got pretty quick ... for single kick players. I've modified my Speed King (even though I don't even play it, that much). I put a floor plate on mine. Kinda brings it into current pedal technology. It's the same basic thought that DW had, with the 5000. Early 5000 pedals were really "not much more" than a Camco pedal bolted down to a floor plate. And from there, DW kept tweaking it, 'til it got where it is today.​
If you don't wanna drop large cash on a new Speed King, pick up a used one off eBay. See how you like it. If you hate it, you can sell it on eBay, and get most, if not all, of your money back. Same is probably true, of the Pearl. I bought both of my Yamaha Direct Drive pedals off eBay, and my Sleishman twin pedal, and my Speed King, and my Ghost, and my DW5000. No problem with any of them.​

Attachments

• 135-3599_IMG.JPG
    135-3599_IMG.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 1,013
  • 135-3598_IMG.JPG
    135-3598_IMG.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 1,144
I bought a new Speed King a few years ago and the action is fantastic. In my opinion it is best for speed in jazz situations instead of rock. The finish quality is really disappointing though. The surface is tarnishing (black and silver) and even the mounting screw is tarnished. When not in use, it is stored in a small bag inside the bigger hardware bag. I am very disappointed. I've never had this happen before and I've been drumming since the 1960's. I do not recommend it. Go with Pearl or Yamaha instead.

Well, quick ... Ian Paice and Carl Palmer, back in the "old days", both played Speed King pedals ... and those guys got pretty quick ... for single kick players. I've modified my Speed King (even though I don't even play it, that much). I put a floor plate on mine. Kinda brings it into current pedal technology. It's the same basic thought that DW had, with the 5000. Early 5000 pedals were really "not much more" than a Camco pedal bolted down to a floor plate. And from there, DW kept tweaking it, 'til it got where it is today.​
If you don't wanna drop large cash on a new Speed King, pick up a used one off eBay. See how you like it. If you hate it, you can sell it on eBay, and get most, if not all, of your money back. Same is probably true, of the Pearl. I bought both of my Yamaha Direct Drive pedals off eBay, and my Sleishman twin pedal, and my Speed King, and my Ghost, and my DW5000. No problem with any of them.​

I have no idea why but that is a really good looking pedal. I would love to try that out....

I recently pick up a vintage Speed King off of ebay and after a week of playing it I must say that I am in love! The pedal does need a tune up, but I really like the feel of it. I have recently been using a DW 5000 that is only about 6 months old and then Iron Cobras before that. I dont know if its because I am more used to chain driven pedals but the Speed King is my favorite pedal that I have played. I also really like the fact that it is a longboard. Even though I dont do heel toe technique I like having the bigger foot board.

Harry Conway how did you make that base plate and how did you attach it to the pedal?

If you have a machine that cuts metal, making the plate ain't that hard. Best to make a paper, or cardboard template first, however. Or, easier (labor wise, get a donor plate from another pedal).​
If you notice, just forward the upright posts, and inboard, two bolts. Those go up into and through the forward part of the pedal. Countersunk on the bottom, so the pedal lats flat on the floor. And a simple washer and nut up top fastens it all together. Towards the back, a single bolt (again countersunk) goes thru the original frame/strap.​
And then two holes drilled directly below the twin post uprights, so you can adjust spring tension without removing the plate from the pedal.​

The P2000 comes in chain and belt-drive varieties. When you said "something more direct", were you referring to the P3000 Demon Drive, which is a direct-drive pedal?

I've just bid on my third or fourth speed king... they're noisy, sloppy, lack any sort of adjustment except tension... but could Carl Palmer and John Bonham be wrong? I love my PDP B.O.A. but the speed king probably is just as fast... I'll try to throw a better video up sometime this month... but here's an old one I did (forgive my lawn mowing shoes). I've got a good head on the Vistalite now, so I'll record a better sounding one.

http://youtu.be/0YhPHHYEetI

Back