Ludwig Classic Lugs

ricc333

Howdy friends. Just joined the forum. I like it a lot.

I have a problem I've been searching on for the past couple of days (which led me here) that I've found hardly any information at all about. I'm throwing a line out here to see if anyone knows of a place I can go.

I have a Ludwig 14"x6" Classic maple snare with 1-piece lugs. This pic shows the lugs in question pretty well.

product_image.php

So, one of the lugs has broken where the screws thread in to the lug. I've been searching high and low to find somewhere I can order a replacement with no luck. Does anyone know of such a place?

Thanks in advance.

For the older snares with a smaller one piece lug it's a P-2240-F

If it's an 80's-present it's a larger one (takes up most of the shell) it's a P-2239-C

You can probably Google those numbers and see a pic, or on the Ludwig site, any wood 6.5 would have the P-2239-C lug (or a tube lug).

Howdy friends. Just joined the forum. I like it a lot.

I have a problem I've been searching on for the past couple of days (which led me here) that I've found hardly any information at all about. I'm throwing a line out here to see if anyone knows of a place I can go.

I have a Ludwig 14"x6" Classic maple snare with 1-piece lugs. This pic shows the lugs in question pretty well.

product_image.php

So, one of the lugs has broken where the screws thread in to the lug. I've been searching high and low to find somewhere I can order a replacement with no luck. Does anyone know of such a place?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum.

A little tip- Lug breakage (especially LUDWIG) is generally kept hush hush here, like aliens and flying saucers most don't believe it exists, people accept it 'can' happen under extreme circumstances, but are reluctant to admit that in reality its more widespread than what is being reported. Lug breakage can be tender topic with the monkey metal faithful:)

Its good you reported only 'one' lug is broken, though if you haven't already, it'd be wise to disassemble and check all the lugs, if there happen to be others you can replace the lot all at the same time.

When you do find replacements, keep in mind that its stress over time that causes the lugs to break at the fastener point(s). So if the drum isn't being used for long periods (over a month), best to detune the heads.

Pocket: My apologies for the bad pic. I'm not too much of an expert in advanced forum-ing.

Karl: You are the man! That part number was what I needed. Found it almost right away. The pic you posted is exactly the right one. You saved me a lot of time.

Les: I know what you're talking about. I've broken a few lugs like that over the years, and I always get someone saying my heads are too tight. Truth is I don't really crank them down. Especially my main snare. It's just like cracked cymbals. You hit something enough times, it's gonna break.

I really appreciate you all responding and being helpful. I hope to repay the favor someday. Thanks very much!

No prob ricc.

What year spans has all the lug breaking being talked about been happening?

I understand that everyone has different experiences with gear, but seriously.

What years were your Ludwig's that had these problems Les (and ricc since you've had it happen too)?

You've said a few times that you sold off all your Ludwig gear years ago, so were yours 60's drums, 70's, 80's, 90's (1990 can be considered "years ago" now`--eessh)?

I'm not being an a-hole about it, and there's no "tone" to the question, I'd seriously like to know.

Do you know a bunch of other drummers this has happened to as well?
You are the first person I've ever heard say they've had multiple lugs broken off, or were (IYO) prone to breaking, so I don't know about the "it's kept hush hush" comment.

I'm very serious about having gear that is totally reliable, and if I thought Ludwig's lugs were "monkey metal" and prone to breaking, there's no way in hell I'd use the brand.

My oldest drum is a B/O (pointy badge) 3ply bass drum--don't know the year, clear interior (got it used in 1980, sold the other one in '89) and my first Acrolite is a 1975.

The other drums I have accumulated between 1989 to present.

I haven't had a problem with anything on any of them. Then again, I never have the coating come off my Remo heads either.

Maybe I'm just lucky?

What years were your Ludwig's that had these problems Les (and ricc since you've had it happen too)?

You've said a few times that you sold off all your Ludwig gear years ago, so were yours 60's drums, 70's, 80's, 90's (1990 can be considered "years ago" now`--eessh)?

I'm not being an a-hole about it, and there's no "tone" to the question, I'd seriously like to know.

Do you know a bunch of other drummers this has happened to as well?
You are the first person I've ever heard say they've had multiple lugs broken off, or were (IYO) prone to breaking, so I don't know about the "it's kept hush hush" comment.

I'm very serious about having gear that is totally reliable, and if I thought Ludwig's lugs were "monkey metal" and prone to breaking, there's no way in hell I'd use the brand.

I haven't had a problem with anything on any of them. Then again, I never have the coating come off my Remo heads either.

Maybe I'm just lucky?

The problem isn't specific to LUDWIG, I've had TAMA and other brands of monkey metal lugs fail through the years. I've even witnessed a screw pop off and rattled around the bottom of my 70' LUDWIG 26x14 (kinda like seeing fruit fall from a tree), that drum wasn't being played, sitting idle when it happened, this was in the 70's.

Age really isn't the issue and although you've never had a lug break on your LUDWIG'S you might be surprised to find one or two in the process of failing if you checked them out.

After my 26x14 popped off, I took all the lugs off and found two more ready to go and confirmed many others in different stages of deformity. I've posted pics of TAMA, YAMAHA monkey metal that's failed/broke, so like I said it isn't specific to LUDWIG, though I've personally seen more of the problem on LUDWIG drums through the years than any other brand, mine and other peoples.

The tunings on the failed lugs could've been said to be high, but a drum is a drum, its meant to be used. You won't find stress breakage with quality lugs, but then most manufactures don't use quality lugs, the companies that choose to use quality have done so for a reason, they've experienced the same breakage with cheap monkey metal and vow not to sell their product with crap material on it.

Tama's lugs back in the 80's were notorious for breaking, especially the good 'ol freedom lugs. I have an Imperialstar king beat where all the lug posts broke pretty quickly, although I did crank the tension really high back in the day. Pearl also had some snare lugs like that back in the 80's/90's. And, who can forget the good 'ol bread n butters? I think a lot of the old school lugs were made with that pot metal stuff that was more prone to breaking. Never had a problem with the imperial lugs, or long classic snare lugs, but I have broken a few bow ties- mostly due to high tension, and those were always the older ones.

Back