Tim Waterson Here!

Hi Tim,
Could you expand a bit on why you have this opinion? I haven't tried the Trick and only messed around for a few minutes on the Axis. Just trying to get more info before I buy a direct drive pedal. I like that with these pedals I can get the single to start out (I don't play double bass yet) and expand to a double later.
Thanks
I try all NEW pedals when I can just to see but so far no one comes close to Axis
Tim

Hey Tim

I play heel up double bass and i can reach about 200-205 BPM single strokes but not for a whole minute, would you say the best way to play for longer would be to keep going till i burn out and keep doing that or do i need to go back to slower tempos that i can do for a minute and keep cranking up the tempo until i can do it for a minute?

Any advice on endurance past 200 BPM would be great thanks!

Hey Tim

I play heel up double bass and i can reach about 200-205 BPM single strokes but not for a whole minute, would you say the best way to play for longer would be to keep going till i burn out and keep doing that or do i need to go back to slower tempos that i can do for a minute and keep cranking up the tempo until i can do it for a minute?

Any advice on endurance past 200 BPM would be great thanks!
IMHO Learn to relax around 200 seems to be the tempo most drummers have more problems with as its the in between legs to anlkes transition speeed
The reason I focused on the TRANSITIONS so much on MY Techniques motions and appications dvd was drummers wanted to know the so called secrets to getting faster and still having control
I try to warm the muscles NEVER burn by playingLONGER for endurance but I always try to RELAX and guess what I just keep getting faster and I have more control.
Hope this helps
Tim
www.timwaterson.net

IMHO Learn to relax around 200 seems to be the tempo most drummers have more problems with as its the in between legs to anlkes transition speeed
The reason I focused on the TRANSITIONS so much on MY Techniques motions and appications dvd was drummers wanted to know the so called secrets to getting faster and still having control
I try to warm the muscles NEVER burn by playingLONGER for endurance but I always try to RELAX and guess what I just keep getting faster and I have more control.
Hope this helps
Tim
www.timwaterson.net

Thanks Tim

I guess relaxing is what does it and just out of curiosity have you tried the Sleishman twin pedal out before?

Cheers

Hi Tim i read back through your posts and saw that you have 3 different pedal set-ups, could you please specify a bit more on what is different on each of them and does practicing on all of these set-ups make a big difference when playing your desired setting?

Cheers

Hi Tim i read back through your posts and saw that you have 3 different pedal set-ups, could you please specify a bit more on what is different on each of them and does practicing on all of these set-ups make a big difference when playing your desired setting?

Cheers
My pedals are ALL set up differntly becasuse I dont want to get used to one setting I teach on ALL kinds of pedals and i want to ale to play without relying on MY settings.
Some pedals have loosest springs other are the tightest,some pedals are lonng swing of the beaters others are shorter.
If I were to play extremem music I would go with tighter springs and and shorter beater distance to the head
Tim

Hey Tim, I checked out your vid playing heel/toe with galoshes on... lol. You made it look as if there were nothin' to it. With renewed confidence I again tried the technique on my Tama single pedal and it actually sorta' bounced, actually three times. Then I went to my DW 4000 double pedal and I didn't have much luck using my heel, in fact often the beater didn't even reach the batter when using only my heel. I notice you say that you use different spring and distance adjustments (the 4000 doesn't have a 'distance' adjustment), which makes me wonder why the Tama pedal is more user friendly doing my sloppy rendition of a h/t than the DW (and yes, I will continue to practice it now that I've seen your technique)? I tried to get to your site so see whether you had any clues to tension adjustment, seat height, positioning, etc., but had to sign in to you tube and I don't have an account there. So I'm asking you here whether one pedal is inherently better than the other, or ????, or my footwear (I was wearing only socks on the Tama and boots on the DW). Any enlightenment will be appreciated...

TIm

Love the DVD! It's really helped by accuracy and strength on the bass drum...What type of beaters do you use on a regular basis, wood , felt, ??

Jason
jason Glad you like the dvd keep me posted on your progress.
for overall playing a variety of styles I like Promark Arcylic beaters very WARM sounding
The wood have a lot of attack and bounce a bit heavier
but for speed I prefer the AXIS marksman or Sonic Hammers.
Tim

Hey Tim, I checked out your vid playing heel/toe with galoshes on... lol. You made it look as if there were nothin' to it. With renewed confidence I again tried the technique on my Tama single pedal and it actually sorta' bounced, actually three times. Then I went to my DW 4000 double pedal and I didn't have much luck using my heel, in fact often the beater didn't even reach the batter when using only my heel. I notice you say that you use different spring and distance adjustments (the 4000 doesn't have a 'distance' adjustment), which makes me wonder why the Tama pedal is more user friendly doing my sloppy rendition of a h/t than the DW (and yes, I will continue to practice it now that I've seen your technique)? I tried to get to your site so see whether you had any clues to tension adjustment, seat height, positioning, etc., but had to sign in to you tube and I don't have an account there. So I'm asking you here whether one pedal is inherently better than the other, or ????, or my footwear (I was wearing only socks on the Tama and boots on the DW). Any enlightenment will be appreciated...
I spent a LOT of time explaining the transitions for the feet on the TMA dvd and once you learn the transitions between heel down, heel up, heeltoe,constant release singles vs doubles etc. it makes more sense and becomes easier to control your pedals.
Not to toot my own horn LOL BUT thisTMA dvd is the most comprehensive foot technique dvd on the market today.
Tim

Hi Tim,
congrats on your world record!!!

I'm pretty late with that, sorry. I stumbled across your YouTube tutorials several times and I can only admire when real pro drummers take the time to explain things in a clear way so others can benefit from you. Well, I'm envious of your feet, haha. I also appreciate that despite all that technical stuff, you stress the importance of making music - skills can be a great benefit (in fact, many things simply demand having good technique), but it's the balanced musical result which counts in the end.

(I'm playing for 1 year now and find doublebass fascinating, practicing for several hours per day, almost daily. My max speed: heel-up 240 bpm, heel-toe 260 bpm. My hands are way slower, haha.)

Back