Heads for Ludwig centennial.......??

evans_69

Silver Member
Hi any ideas on what heads to put on a ludwig centennial , 24", 12" 16" setup.... Ive always used G2's or Emperors clears on my pearl masters and old premier and i love the sound of both. But i fancy trying some coated G2's or Emperors do you think the coated heads on this kit will go well or shall i stick to the clears.. and for the bass drum a choice between EMAD, Powersonic or Superkick thanks

Coated emps over clear ambs (or coated G2's over G1's for the Evan's folk) will work a treat on those drums. For the kick, I'd run PS3's on batter and Reso........maybe even a Fiberskin PS3 res for that vintage look. EMAD may work well too, but I've heard too many issues with them falling apart after 15 mins for me to ever consider one.

Get the clear emps over ambassadors.

Coated emps over clear ambs (or coated G2's over G1's for the Evan's folk) will work a treat on those drums. For the kick, I'd run PS3's on batter and Reso........maybe even a Fiberskin PS3 res for that vintage look. EMAD may work well too, but I've heard too many issues with them falling apart after 15 mins for me to ever consider one.

This is what I've always used on my kits (both the Remo's and Evans), including the Ludwig I used to have, with the exception of the Fiberskin - never tried one of those. I've been toying with coated Amb over clear Amb for my next set of heads, but yeah, always coated on tom batters for me.

Ditto for the EMAD - the foam retainer disintegrated within a week, which worked out nice since I think the sound improved! PS3 next time...

with the exception of the Fiberskin - never tried one of those.

Just bought a Fiberskin PS3 that I'm using for the reso.....I'm impressed with it.....nice low end boom yet relatively short sustain when combined with the clear PS3 batter. To my ear, the kick has never sounded so good. Was worried it may be more suited to jazz tunings, but I think it's gonna work a treat in a rock scenario.

EMAD falling apart? Never heard that before, my friend has an EMAD and he plays heavy metal, he's had his head for I'd say 4 months. I have the EMAD2 and I couldn't be happier with my bass sound, never had any issues with that head.

EMAD falling apart? Never heard that before,

Do a quick search....this forum alone is riddled with complaints that the plastic sleeve that holds the foam ring doesn't hold up. Never tried one Dips, so I'm no expert......but the negative coverage here was enough for me to stick with PS3's. Glad you're happy with yours though mate.

If you are a rock oriented drummer , I would stick to the two-ply heads.

nowadays there are a lot of interesting option like :

remo smooth white : if you want the sound between a coated and a clear head
remo suede : texture heads , I mean the head is texturixed , is not coat aplied on the head , so it last for much longer

my advice is to buy only one head , and try it , if you like it , then buy the heads for all your drum kit .this will save you a lot of money , and you will be able to hear the heads in your drum before you buy them

The wood quality, and edge style is the same Ludwig uses on the Classic Maple series.
You should be able to use any head you want on it.

ENRICO was right on when he said to try one drum and see what you like if you're experimenting.

I use a Coated Ambassador top, and Smooth White Ambassador bottom on my CM's and they sound fantastic.
I also play Rock, and I never have a problem with an Ambassador not holding up as well as an Emperor.

Have fun with the kit!

Hi, thanks for the responses, i have ordered some Evans G2 coated's.... i usually use clears but fancy trying them for a slightly warmer sound...... still un-decided on the bass head though... As for the EMAD debate i use them and i have had a couple where the felt ring splits but i just glue them back on again its not much of a prob really, its just over fussed about..... i fancy a pop at the superkick though any ideas if the 24" bass drum would be better with the superkick 1 or 2... ? thanks

Hi any ideas on what heads to put on a ludwig centennial , 24", 12" 16" setup.... Ive always used G2's or Emperors clears on my pearl masters and old premier and i love the sound of both. But i fancy trying some coated G2's or Emperors do you think the coated heads on this kit will go well or shall i stick to the clears.. and for the bass drum a choice between EMAD, Powersonic or Superkick thanks

The stock Ludwig reso bass drum head can be pretty dead depending on what you do with the batter. It's got a built-in power collar and a coating sprayed on. I'd experiment with the batter head, first. FWIW, my not-so-local drum shop had an SK-I batter with a Fiberskyn PS3 reso on a big ol' 24" BD. Pretty sweet.

EMAD falling apart? Never heard that before, my friend has an EMAD and he plays heavy metal, he's had his head for I'd say 4 months. I have the EMAD2 and I couldn't be happier with my bass sound, never had any issues with that head.

Check reviews at online retailers...

Just bought a Fiberskin PS3 that I'm using for the reso.....I'm impressed with it.....nice low end boom

Works nice as a batter head, too. I put the included stick on beater patch on it. Perhaps a little mellow, but not bad.

-Ryan

Works nice as a batter head, too. I put the included stick on beater patch on it. Perhaps a little mellow, but not bad.
-Ryan

Well you've got me there Ryan......I could have sworn it was your posts that prompted me to try one as a reso. I must have misread and got it all arse about..........No harm done.....love the sound I'm getting anyway!!

Cheers..

Well you've got me there Ryan......I could have sworn it was your posts that prompted me to try one as a reso. I must have misread and got it all arse about..........No harm done.....love the sound I'm getting anyway!!

Cheers..

Sorry! :)

I currently use it as a batter, and I like it... I think. ;-)

Though, I took some time to fiddle with the a giant bass drum at the drum shop using one as a reso, and it was really nice. So either way it seems like a nice head.

-Ryan

Back