Help picking my 2nd instrument (BASS)

Just for catalog sake I would check out Musicians Friend to see what is close to your budget and read the reviews. you don't have to buy there but you will get an idea. then you can check eBay or Craigslist or your local stores. They have a ton of variety on basses with reviews.

The only trouble with maple necks is you can't clean them as easily, so they can end up looking a bit mucky...

Interesting I'm a bass player, taking up drums ...

I would suggest the Fender Squier Affinity series P bass, my guitar player has one and it's great.

I actually use my bass too help me learn drums, I use a Boss "looper" and record a bass line then play it back through my bass amp ...

The only trouble with maple necks is you can't clean them as easily, so they can end up looking a bit mucky...

It's all about finding the right cleaning fluids. I use whatever I think might work, often followed by a coat of beeswax. It works very well indeed.

It's all about finding the right cleaning fluids. I use whatever I think might work, often followed by a coat of beeswax. It works very well indeed.

Unless, of course, one desires that road worn look. I bury my Basses for months in the back yard to get that worn down finish. My drum sticks, too. I like all my wood warped, too.

BTW, Drumhead61, that is a very nice looking beginners setup.

But he, the OP, did say he doesn't need an amp since his band leaves their there so he can spend the money on a better bass.

I own a Luna Andromeda Bass and it works for what I use it for. (recording) It was only $200 when we got it, it was a discontinued model. It has active electronics in it and separate treble and bass knobs, which help to get sound you want without having to have another bass. 4 string is good to start on IMO. I have a Trace Elliot bass amp that works great for bass and/or keyboard.
I have played on Peavey, Ibanez basses as well and they are good too. I really liked the Peavey a little better though (can't recall the exact model, but it was expensive like $1,000 or more. I had thought of getting an Ibanez Ergodyne bass at one time, but passed. They have good reviews too.
What I have works great for what I do and I should mention that my old band's bass player played my Luna one practice and went out and bought one of his own.
The Luna has a thin neck but not a short scale bass. They are recommended for those with smaller hands.
Hope this helps

Rondo Music sells their SX line for cheap. P's J's. P/Js and more modern designs, mostly under $150. I've bought two, one for me and one for a gift, and I e-know a lot of people with them. They are pretty darn good. Not as nice as my Mexican or Japanese Fenders, but extremely formidable, for the price. I ended up putting Bartolinis and a BaddassII bridge on mine (castaways from other projects) and for about $400 total, it's now a monster.

With the money saved, pick up a Sansamp to run through your PA, you'll be golden.

Squier jazz basses or p basses would be a good start. the ones ive seen have all sounded great, especially for the price. if you can afford it, it might be worth putting a bit extra and going for a mexican one. Im not much of a bassist at all though. I know some of the yamaha basses are pretty good

So do you think I should get a short stack or long? People say it's easier to learn on a short one but is that really beneficial? Why not just learn on a long one since if I ever get good enough to play in a band or something the good sounding basses are probably long ones and it will be like starting over trying to get used to the bigger frets and stretching the small muscles even more to reach em.

I think I am gonna get a 4-string even though it sort of goes against the previously stated logic, I think it would be easier to go to a 5 string after learning on a 4, can you get more out of a 5 string or is it like adding another tom to your kit? it's nice but not really required.

Thanks for the input guys

Ya your not going to get an accurate answer on what bass to use here, the only place you will find that answer is at your local music shop that lets you try the equipment out of course. Btw learning multiple instruments truly does help drumming, I know from experience.... I can write full parts to songs out in my head put them to each instrument and it just helps so much. It is really such a gift and talent to be able to play multiple instruments and it helps so much in the writing phase.

I would also just recommend how many strings based on how complex you want the music to be or in my case how heavy :D...... I would go with a long either way as well.

So do you think I should get a short stack or long? People say it's easier to learn on a short one but is that really beneficial? Why not just learn on a long one since if I ever get good enough to play in a band or something the good sounding basses are probably long ones and it will be like starting over trying to get used to the bigger frets and stretching the small muscles even more to reach em.

I think I am gonna get a 4-string even though it sort of goes against the previously stated logic, I think it would be easier to go to a 5 string after learning on a 4, can you get more out of a 5 string or is it like adding another tom to your kit? it's nice but not really required.

Thanks for the input guys

No don't bother with short scale. No point really. 5 strings is a BIT like adding an extra tom but really it's different. If you have a smaller drum kit, you can play the same fill or whatever on less drums and it's not too much of a problem. But if you don't have the low B of a 5 string, you can't just substitute the notes on the higher strings and the bassline will sound a lot different. Whether it's needed or not depends entirely on what music you play. Generally the type of music that requires the extra low end is modern sorts of low tuned metal and also jazz. (you heard me)

Learn on a full scale. I like short scale basses, but that's a personal preference and it's easier to get hold of good quality long scale.

Back