Help picking my 2nd instrument (BASS)

N

nhzoso

I decided to take up the Bass guitar as my 2nd instrument, hoping it will help my drumming more than anything but ya never know. Can you folks recommend a decent starter Bass? I am thinking just a 4string but I dont know anything about guitars so not sure what to look for (pickups, neck material, tuning ease etc) I would estimate my budget at $300 tops and would also like to get an amp although it is not required right away so if I can get a better Bass then I really would rather have that than a package deal. Also what is a good dvd/book to start out with?

Thanks

I've always liked Ibanez for bass, their budget ones are pretty decent. I'm not so keen on Squier.

For that money, to be honest, you'd be best off just trying a few out and seeing what works for you.

I decided to take up the Bass guitar as my 2nd instrument, hoping it will help my drumming more than anything but ya never know. Can you folks recommend a decent starter Bass? I am thinking just a 4string but I dont know anything about guitars so not sure what to look for (pickups, neck material, tuning ease etc) I would estimate my budget at $300 tops and would also like to get an amp although it is not required right away so if I can get a better Bass then I really would rather have that than a package deal. Also what is a good dvd/book to start out with?

Thanks

You could always pick up one of those pocket amps that you can attach to your belt. I think those are pretty cheap.

Maybe you might be able to find some sort of rental deal. At my local music store, i rented a guitar and amp. Either both were 25$ per month, or the amp was 25 but they gave me a really cool deal. Lets say the amp was worth 200$, after 8 months of renting, i gave the store 200$, so at that point they let me keep the amp. (i dont remember the numbers clearly enough but thats how it worked, and maybe you can set something like that up).

I suggest you go used--check craigslist, or better yet--local pawn shops. I hear a LOT of starving musicians are selling/hocking gear, and you could save some major bucks.

Good luck on that venture, and plan on getting some serious fingertip callouses to go with your drumming callouses! Let us know how you do.

Cheers,
C. P.

Maybe you might be able to find some sort of rental deal. At my local music store, i rented a guitar and amp. Either both were 25$ per month, or the amp was 25 but they gave me a really cool deal. Lets say the amp was worth 200$, after 8 months of renting, i gave the store 200$, so at that point they let me keep the amp. (i dont remember the numbers clearly enough but thats how it worked, and maybe you can set something like that up).

This is a good idea, but...

You could always pick up one of those pocket amps that you can attach to your belt. I think those are pretty cheap.

You'd barely hear the bass through one of those...bass is something for which a good amp is almost more important than a good bass. A $5000 bass through a $50 amp will sound cheap. The other way round, great big bassy sound!

The reason I dont need an amp right away is because my band practices in my basement and they leave all the amps and PA here so I can just plug into those for now.

Oh I see. Well, in that case it's really up to you as to what you like! What kind of music are you going to be playing?

I did the same thing a few months ago. I bought a cheap dean for about $100. I haven't had any problems with it, and I'm only using ot for learning on, not worried about gigs. I haven't bought an amp yet either (have a PA) I know my bassist friends would get on me about tone, but right now I'm not worried about playing out with it.

As far as learning to play, if you know some basic music theory you're set. Once I knew what to tune the strings to (EADG) then realized each fret is a half-step, you can find any note you need. I have a friend who learned to play bass just by ear playing along with the radio. It's fun stuff.

I own a Yamaha BB414. It is a great bass for the price and as everything Yamaha, well built and solid. Sounds good and plays well, although I've done some work on mine to lower the action further than the factory setup (that included lowering the pickups slightly as well). Nothing too fancy, but covers most sonic basses, is well made and plays well. Highly recommended.

Jazz and Precision Basses are great. I'm wanting a black P-bass with a varnished maple neck (and black scratch plate) at the moment, but I'm not sure they fit within the $300 price range? What kind of prices are the Mexican basses going for in the US?

Yeah, I had to edit that, as I bought my MIM Standard J Bass 3 years ago, and see that Fender has literally skyrocketed on the price of those. Now they go for as much as I paid for a Marcus Miller J Bass back in 2003. Ridiculous!

Although, this Squier looks real nice, and checkout the reviews:

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Vintage-Modified-Jazz-Bass?sku=519639

I would get that one, if I were looking for a first bass now.

Last edited:
I tend to find the Squiers are very variable. Some are really great instruments (an old friend has a Squier Strat he bought about eight years ago that is FANTASTIC) and some are really rather poor. With that said, if you're a dab hand with a soldering iron and work out how to set things up, Squier instruments can be modified.

BTW, the P Bass you refer to is probably around $700 USD for a Mexican made vesion.

I love the varnished maple fretboards, myself, especially on a J or P bass, but also on Strats and Tele's.

Maple fretboards are the way forward. Birdseye maple on my Strat. B-e-a-utiful.

Back