Choosing new drumheads! Help!

Can anyone tell which do you think sounds better between the g2, emperor, and response 2 and why do you think it sounds better??

What's better - Trident, 5, or Orbit?
Do a search. Remo coatings suck, Evans are colder, Aquarian kicks butt but are sometimes hard to find or expensive in other countries. Buy one of each if you can and try them all.

Yeah i know there is no winner because everyone has a different opinion but i just want to know what are your opinions. And i dont think i can waste $45 by trying all three drumheads. Also buying aquarian drumheads wouldn't be a problem cause i would order it online through guitar center.

What drum head do you guys like best between the g2, emperor, and response 2 and why do you like it more compared to the others???

What drum head do you guys like best between the g2, emperor, and response 2 and why do you like it more compared to the others???

I love a coated Emperor. I'm definitely not an Evans guy for tom heads. As mentioned before in this thread, they have an annoying "aftertone" that I definitely do not dig.

I think after reading everything so far, you'd do well to get a hold of some Smooth White Emperor heads. They have a great tuning range, embody the best characteristics of both coated and clear and are one of the most durable heads Remo makes, imo.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I hadn't really though of those smooth white emperors before. I have read about the evans Aftertone here in drummer world but always thought it was just their drums that were ringy but now that you've said it again i think it's time i try some remo or aquarian, im thinking emperors still can't decide whether to go coated or clear, nice dark sound with coated or a nice modern sound with clear, hard choice.

Have you ever tried any aquarian heads?

I have tried Aquarian. I'm pretty indifferent about them since they seem to reciprocate the feeling with their tone.

Their tom heads are pretty one dimensional, pretty durable but definitely one-trick pony's, sonically speaking. They tune quick, take a decent beating but just never caught my ear enough to warrant a second purchase.

Their bass drum heads are super, though. You can't miss with a Super Kick, I or II.

Honestly, the majority of opinions offered here regarding heads probably come down to the individual's ability to tune a drum properly or the way certain heads work with their own kit.

As costly as it will be, you're probably going to have to try a few different heads and models before you find the one that pleases you. That's why I play a 4-piece kit...heads aren't getting cheaper.

It seems like you really like your emperors but how would you compare the sound from a clear emperor and a clear response 2 ( i would ask you to compare them also to a g2 but clearly they seem a step below because of their aftertone). Also a coated emeperor and a coated response 2. And thank you

It seems like you really like your emperors but how would you compare the sound from a clear emperor and a clear response 2 ( i would ask you to compare them also to a g2 but clearly they seem a step below because of their aftertone). Also a coated emeperor and a coated response 2. And thank you

I've generally never used clear Emperors except on my Vistalite kit. In broad strokes, I'd say that the sound you would get from a clear emperor would be 'cleaner' than a CR2. Most of the drummers I've recorded that dig on the Evans heads tend to tune them real low, almost to slack at times. They offer a bit more 'punch' but not a lot of clarity, imo.

I think that's why I champion the Smooth White Emperors. They are seriously one of the most versatile heads I've worked with. You can tune em' low, high, whatever. If you like em', even better. They last forever.

Thank you alot its still going to be a hard choice but you have defenetly helped out a lot and if you have any other useful information please feel free to post it on the thread. And thank again.

Another vote for coated Emperors or vintage Emperors here. I like the darker sound of the vintage Emps best, but the regular ones are great, too. I think they have the best balance of attack and full tone. I have tried Aquarians several times, several different models, and I just don't like them. They sound too dull to me. One dimensional is a good description. Evans G2s would be my second choice, but they don't have as full a tone to me as the Emps. Hope that helps, but ultimately you are going to have to take the leap and just try some out.

Honestly, the majority of opinions offered here regarding heads probably come down to the individual's ability to tune a drum properly or the way certain heads work with their own kit.

This is very true and I've had nothing but great results using Evans heads on most of my kits.

Dennis

Thanks, im really leaning to those coated emperor because it seems like its competition fall short ( g2 and response 2 ). If you have any more information feel free to post it, every bit helps. The only thing that holds me back is that i fear the coated drumheads might make my birch shells sound too melow and not modern enough, maybe take out to much attack on the other hand they will much darker, what do you think?? Do you think coated heads might do this? Hopeful not...

No, I don't think coated heads will remove too much attack. You can still get plenty of bite.

Ohh sorry Dennis, I posted before i saw your respond, what evans drumheads do you use?

No problem. On one of my kits I'm using Evans G2 clear heads over G1 clear on my toms, the bass drum's batter is an Evans EQ4. On another kit I have Evans G1 coated over G1 clears and also an EQ4 for the bass drum's batter. My third kit has Evans G2 coated over G1 clear resonant heads, again an EQ4 batter on the bass. I'm also using Evans G2 coated over G1 clear heads on my vintage kit, the 20" bass drum has an EQ4. On my other kit as of right now I have Remo coated Ambassadors over coated Ambassadors with a Remo (DW) batter head on the bass drum.

I've been using Evans heads for about five years. Before that it was always Remo. Throughout those five years, I only had one 10" G1 clear head that was defective because it was slightly unevenly mounted on its hoop causing a dead spot on the head. That was replaced by Evans.

Dennis

ThankS again to both of you for your responds, i think im going coated, now what company should i go? Dennis have you played coated emperors? If so why do you like evan's coated g2 better?

ThankS again to both of you for your responds, i think im going coated, now what company should i go? Dennis have you played coated emperors? If so why do you like evan's coated g2 better?

Sure, both the coated Emperors and coated Ambassadors for more years than I can remember. The only reason I switched from Remo to Evans is because I found that the coatings on the Evans heads hold up a bit better than the Remos. Some say this is nonsense, but for my style of playing it holds true. On a lot of my work I do use brushes and although I can get a better bite using some of the Remo heads, I never get small pieces of coating falling off the Evans batter heads.

Dennis

I don't play brushes so the coating getting chip away with the brushes won't be a problem, but when hit with a stick what are the sonic differences, is the emperor darker? Is the g2 brighter? Etc... Is one of them more lively or modern sounding? Is one duller than the other one... Cause i don't want my drums sounding dull. And thank you for the responds.

I don't play brushes so the coating getting chip away with the brushes won't be a problem, but when hit with a stick what are the sonic differences, is the emperor darker? Is the g2 brighter? Etc... Is one of them more lively or modern sounding? Is one duller than the other one... Cause i don't want my drums sounding dull. And thank you for the responds.

I really think you are going to have to try them to decide. They are different, but the differences are subtle and the type of drums you have and the way you tune will influence the sound. Get one brand this time, then get the other the next time. You really won't go wrong with either head. And you can decide for yourself what works for you.

Back