What was it like switching from drumming in High school to college?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snare

Just a question that popped into my head while I was watching some video of the drummers at the college I want to go to. The college isn't nationally known for music or anything, but the arts culture is pretty lively there. I was thinking that it would be strange hopping from percussion section leader in high school to having to wait in line behind better or more experienced musicians in college. Do freshmen typically get to play at colleges with atleast decent music programs? I've really been making an effort throughout high school to become good at playing almost every percussion instrument (until recently, mallet instruments). Yesterday, our marching band became the best band with 30 or less people in the state. It would just be weird having to step down a peg when I go to college in 2 years.

Last edited:
Well, sounds like you are afraid of the "big fish in a small pond" syndrome and losing that sense of accomplishment that being section leader brings you. Don't worry about it. It's not a competition, it's about educating yourself. No matter how good you are, there is always something to learn and someone to learn from. I learn new things all the time and I've played for 25 years. I don't plan on ever thinking "Well, that's it. I'm done. I know everything now.".

Also, and I hesitate to bring this up, but your tone in your post could be interpreted as a little bit ... egotistic (that's the word that comes to mind for me). Sure, going from being the top guy at a small high school to being just another freshman is going to be weird, but how you react to it is what counts. No one is going to care that your school got X award, or that you placed 2nd chair at the state solo contest, what they will care about is, "can this person play the music at a college level?". Practice, learn, and absorb everything you can from everyone you can. It's OK to be honest and say "I think I'm a pretty good musician", it's different to say "[I'll be stepping] down a peg when I go to college".

"The only real wisdom is knowing you know nothing" -- attributed to Socrates

Last edited:
Have you seen the movie Drumline? Go polish the drums. All schools are going to be different so you need to be loose and play it by ear.

completely botched the thread and meaning of my posts. Apologies.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back