Mint 1973 Rogers complete with 602's

dave danger

Thought I would share this mint 1973 Mojave red kit that I picked up this week. Would appreciate any one with the knowledge to confirm the date and shed any further info on it. Bought in 73 for a 10 year old boy, played for 6 months and stored for 40years. Sizes are 20, 12, 13, 16 & 14 x 5.5 . Cymbals are 22/ 2600gms, 18/ 1600gms and the 14" hats. Everything is mint and looks like it was purchased yesterday.

Attachments

• bass.jpg
    bass.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 884
  • drum.jpg
    drum.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 902
  • drum2.jpg
    drum2.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 841
  • dumming.jpg
    dumming.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 1,066
  • floor.jpg
    floor.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 860
Re: Mint 1973 rogers complete with 602's

Wow. Just... wow. Looks like you just pulled that kit out of a time machine. Great find.

Yes, Mojave Red looks to be a '73 and later finish option. Script logo, so that's a pretty narrow time frame.

Those drums should have a 9/72 paper tag inside each one.

The snare is a 5x14. And, since I cannot see an oval badge on the grommet, I cannot determine what it is. Is there a paper tag inside? I believe it is a Powertone, eight lugs, chrome over brass. Knowing the serial would be interesting.

They look fantastic. Time Machine find.

john, thanks for the info, all have paper tags with "power tone" on them. Tags are mint. will try to get a few pics posted soon.

Pics of the tag inside one of the drums would be great. A pic of the tag inside the snare also.

Absolutely fantastic drums.

Are you keeping or selling?

Nice kit, A real museum piece. That kit just shouts 70's at the top of its lungs.
I like the hardware too.

I have too many kits so it will probably be going up for sale. Any thoughts on value if I sell as a complete kit including cymbals. It will obviously be a totally era correct kit

Granted these drums were never played, and weren't much loved other than someone insisted they were stored properly. Which I think was more accident than intention. But, it would be a real shame that, if in the name of value and what something is worth, they end up parted out so the lucky guy who found them can turn a profit. I wouldn't want to piss off the drumgods like that.

I have too many kits so it will probably be going up for sale. Any thoughts on value if I sell as a complete kit including cymbals. It will obviously be a totally era correct kit

This is something Steve Maxwell could help you out with; he is a Rogers aficionado!

Nice kit you have there.

GJS

Any thoughts on value if I sell as a complete kit including cymbals. It will obviously be a totally era correct kit.
Well, on that one, the balls in your court. Are you gonna sell it on eBay? Or Craigslist? Even Steve Maxwell sells on eBay. On eBay, you might get $2K. On Craigslist, some guy might offer you $500. It's all about who has the money, and who wants the kit. And what you're willing to let it go for. Here's a '72, on the Bay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-72-...=Vintgae_Drums_Percussion&hash=item338628b20f 2 days left ..... will anyone buy it?​

thanks for the feedback, I may drop Steve Maxwell a line and see what he has to say. Appreciate the thoughts and sentiments on parting it out and agree that it would indeed be a shame. On the other hand it would be fantastic if it goes to someone who recognises the uniqueness of it all & wants to keep it together. Bottom line if it stays with me it will spend may more days in storage rather than being played.

just looked at the labels on the Spanish good, mine are different, any reason?

Attachments

• tag1.jpg
    tag1.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 697
  • tag2.jpg
    tag2.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 674
  • tag 3.jpg
    tag 3.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 698
The Spanish gold kit is a 9/72,made between 1972-75,yours is a Fullerton,1969 - 1972.

Look at the coletes (mounting brackets) on your shells,if the collette is engraved with pat pending made in U.S.A. and the nose says rogers they are machined,later ones have no engraving and are cast, not as desirable.I think some of the fullerton drums have the machined ones.

Holiday Fullerton 69-70
Power Tone Fullerton 71 All drums including the Powertone snare. Exclusion, Dyna-Sonic
Powertone Fullerton, 69-70 Eight Lug COB snare only.

Early Fullerton also had some non marked machined collet tensioners.

Just as way of an update, Steve Maxwell provided some great info on the kit and cymbals with regards to value. The kit has sat untouched since I posted the pics and this has proved to me that it will see little use in the distant future. I am therefore planning to sell (hopefefully as a complete set) in the first instance. Thanks for all the help in ID'ing the kit. Great forum with a wealth of knowledge

Back