My new (2nd hand) Sonor Drums

Mark_S

Silver Member
Here are some pics of the Sonor S-Class Pro I rescued from a damp barn on Friday. The shells all seems to be in excellent condition, some of the chrome needed some TLC after being stored for a while in a less than suitable place, but it's all come up nicely I think.

Toms are 10x9, 12x10, 14x14
Snare is 14x5
And I got 2 bass drums! Both 20x17.5 - which means I can be lazy and leave one packed up for gigging/recording.

I think it is from late 2005, no idea if they are German or Chinese shells but I'm not going to worry too much about that.

I unfortunately don't have much space in my tiny drum room so could only get pictures front on pretty much:

SonorAll.JPG

SonorClose.JPG

SonorTom.JPG

wow, those are eye popping. I don't know much about the Sonor lines, are these a mid level kit? Finish looks top of the line. So when you say rescued, I am guessing these were uber cheap. nice find.

I think Sonor classed it as mid-line, but many say it is pro standard. I know the shells cost about £2200 back in 2005 (though there was a premium on that finish).

No they weren't uber cheap unfortunately, but a fair bit under half the original cost. I mean rescued as in the current owner wasn't treating them very well by storing them in a barn, I don't think they even realised it was starting to attack the chrome. I could only see the kit via torchlight so I didn't see that at first. It's about as good as new now though with a days worth of elbow grease so I'm happy :) I can't find a single scratch or dent on the shells.

wow, those are eye popping. I don't know much about the Sonor lines, are these a mid level kit? Finish looks top of the line. So when you say rescued, I am guessing these were uber cheap. nice find.

They were actually Sonor's top of the line drums, besides the SQ2, until they upgraded the s class to the s classix. At least that's what I think, correct me if I'm wrong :)

Gorgeous finish. I would love to have a set like that. I love how the finish pops, like said above.

The S Class was a top line Pro kit, under the Delites and Designers in price point.
Made in Germany, they are Maple shells. Fabulous drums.
They are now called S Classix which I believe are Birch shells.
All in all, a VERY nice kit that you should hang on to. Excellent sound
Cheers
Phil

A seriously lovely kit. Sonor is probably my favourite mass-market manufacturer and those S-Classes really were something.

Thanks for your kind comments all :) I came that close to not picking it up because it was late Friday evening, it was 130 miles away, it was pouring with rain and I had a gig the next day. As soon as the guy told me I was welcome to come and fetch it though, I was straight on the phone to the bank to let me withdraw what I needed and off like a shot! I wasn't totally sure about the power toms either, but I figured the smaller 20" bass drum would allow me to position them just fine, which it does.

Very happy! :) And the other 2 drummers that played that night loved it too, though I did wince a few times when the sound guy was being careless during band change-overs.. it's definitely not a kit to regularly gig on those kinda nights if I want to keep it in good condition, but it was a special occasion.

Beauties! Aren't they Scandinavian Birch ? I really dig the finish on them...

Nah, they are Maple. I think it's the newer S-Classix that are Birch (not sure if they're Scandinavian).

Back