60s/70s Speed King - any down sides?

imispgh

I am looking in to buying one because I am 6'7" and have a large foot. I figured the lack of a heel plate (sort of) might help? Plus I have heard these pedals are great and the old ones are better than the new ones. Bonham can't be wrong - right?

I've played brand new Speed Kings, 60's Speed Kings, 70's Speed Kings, WFL Speed Kings.....as far as I'm corcerned, it's all the same pedal.

I used to have a couple Speed Kings thinking that Neil Peart couldn't be wrong. But then it occurred to me that NP could be wrong, and I don't use them anymore (either does he!).

They do have their own feel. I've played enough other pedals by now that I like much better. It may have been a superior design at the time, but not anymore, IMO. There are other "longboard" pedals out there you should try.

I played speedkings in the 80's good pedal however maybe not the most durable. At least the older ones, haven't played on the newer ones.

I had a 70's Speed King that came with my Kit.
1st. They Squeak, Not the fastest pedal either.
I also saw a friends break live onstage (i was on the side.)
I would go to a Music/Drum Store & try every pedal
that you could.. - there are so many NEW items out there.
(if there isn't a store nearby, check out what local drummers
are using & ask if you could try them.)

good luck

I've got one as well, used it for about 4 months. Honestly it's a great novelty item and piece of history to have around, but it's not the most practical pedal. My biggest problem was that it's a "collapsible" pedal. You can slide off the linkage that keeps it all connected (my apologies, that's a horrible way to describe it). A good base plate would help make it a lot more sturdy.

ha ive just listened to since ive been loving you and ive always heard the squeek but never reliased what it was....thats made me laugh! quite good that you can hear that actually, in some ways i suppose!

Got a 80's Speed King...plus the squeek. Good idea in theory but could never make it "not squeek". Took it apart, lubed every possible joint, no luck.

Back