Here is a compilation of videos of those covering his playing:

Teddy Z

98z radio drum off winner

12 year old Sara

Nick Ceasarz

Spirit of the radio Neal Braatz

Exit stage left Sillers

Subdivisions cearrbhach

The point of this is, among drummers to emulate there seems to be more drummers trying to play like Neil Peart on youtube than any other drummer.

Have you heard of Pauliewanna? He should be on youtube, somewhere. The man's actually pretty good. I love him, in that non-romantic sort of way.

There was a grittiness to that era. Compare the sound of permanent waves of fly by night to the overdone (IMO) vapor trails. There is more edge, and more bite. I am also a huge fan of the underrated era from signals through Test for echo.

I think when all is said and done, the most slam comes from the 1st era. I was just listening to xm/sirius Rush deep cuts. They played everything from "lakeside park" to "Xanadu." The 1st era for me was the more primal in terms of both energy and visceral impact.

Ah, i liked the crudeness of the Rush-Hemispheres Era. There's some really good stuff in there. I Think I'm Going Bald is quite an underrated one in my opinion, as well as the first half of Before and After. (Seriously, I really want to find a way to loop that part of the song. It's so good.)

Here's a funny little story about I Think I'm Going Bald. Apparently at the time, Alex Lifeson (who had long beautiful golden tresses) was paranoid to the point of obsession about going bald. He used all sorts of hair products in the hope that it would never ever ever go away. For that reason and this, I've officially make it Alex Lifeson's theme song.

Balding blondies aside, yeah, the Rush-Hemispheres era was good. Permanent Waves I kind of set on it's own. It's the transition from Rush's first era into the second. Now Moving Pictures to Grace Under Pressure, that stuff was also good, but I think a bit too popular among Rush fans.

But Power WIndows, that's where it's at. Power Windows is quite possibly their best album IMO.

After Presto, though, I think they started heading down hill. Each album of course has its own good songs, but as a whole, each album wasn't that great. Doesn't make them bad, they just weren't Rush's best stuff.

But Power WIndows, that's where it's at. Power Windows is quite possibly their best album IMO.

After Presto, though, I think they started heading down hill. Each album of course has its own good songs, but as a whole, each album wasn't that great. Doesn't make them bad, they just weren't Rush's best stuff.

Presto to me, was "Show don't tell" and...those other tunes I could care less about. Superconductor was ok, but largely, the first Rush album with a lot of forgettable material. Geddy even complained about the poor original mastering of that album.

I have seen pauliewanna in passing a couple times. He is an excellent drummer, one of the best Peart cover drummers.

Ah, i liked the crudeness of the Rush-Hemispheres Era. There's some really good stuff in there. I Think I'm Going Bald is quite an underrated one in my opinion, as well as the first half of Before and After. (Seriously, I really want to find a way to loop that part of the song. It's so good.)

Here's a funny little story about I Think I'm Going Bald. Apparently at the time, Alex Lifeson (who had long beautiful golden tresses) was paranoid to the point of obsession about going bald. He used all sorts of hair products in the hope that it would never ever ever go away. For that reason and this, I've officially make it Alex Lifeson's theme song.

Balding blondies aside, yeah, the Rush-Hemispheres era was good. Permanent Waves I kind of set on it's own. It's the transition from Rush's first era into the second. Now Moving Pictures to Grace Under Pressure, that stuff was also good, but I think a bit too popular among Rush fans.

After Presto? What about Counterparts? That was a fantastic album. Heavier and really aggressive. Maybe I like it so much because that was the first Rush concert I went to (strangely enough, the "bootleg" drum solo is on his Anatomy DVD (from the Palace of Auburn Hills, MI). That bootleg has been around for over 10 years even more strangely. Primus opened for them and the mighty Tim Alexander played Spaghetti Western for a good five minutes before Claypool and Lar came on stage. My first introduction to huge stadium sound (his amber colored Pork Pies with twin 20x20 bass drums, simply unreal.)

Anyway, sorry for that wonderful memory, but Counterparts is pretty awesome IMO.

Absolutely, ZZ! Counterparts is one of those "not heard much about" gems that is a joy to listen to.

Cut to the Chase
Cold Fire
Stick It Out
Alien Shore
Double Agent

...all my personal favorites.

Definitely an under-rated Rush album. Neil is just so strong on this one. ;-)

RUSH a farewell to kings
I really like this album, songs like A Farewell To Kings, Xanadu (intro, I love it.), Cinderella Man, Cygnus X-1, Book One: The Voyage, Closer To The Heart...

Also I enjoy Caress of Steel, Grace Under Pressure, Hold Your Fire, Vapor Trails.

All The Best,

Wow, I love how this thread's going! I'm here to post solo number 6 on the countdown towards Neil's best solo, but first I'll comment briefly on what's been mentioned here lately.

I definitely love Counterparts. Neil was at the top of his game at that point before experimenting more heavily with the traditional grip and what not. (Double Agent? I mean, c'mon, who plays drums like that? Just sick!)

Other albums I love which for some reason seem to be underrated are Caress of Steel (The Necromancer and The Fountain of Lamneth are just great songs), and Signals, which I think is actually one of Alex's best albums (although the guitar may have been recorded a little low). And of course, Neil excels in all of these.

I've posted number 6 on the countdown towards Neil's best solo:

Neil Peart's Solos Ranked - Number 6

Let us know what you think! Number 5 should be posted soon.

Hmm.. my favorite work of Neil's ends with Test for echo. After that, the stuff is not quite as appealing. See, that's what happens when you give up Ludwig for DW. That can cause artistic compromise. <evil grin>

TFE has a really dark and compact sound that I really like. After that, the only tune Rush has made that really sticks with me is "One little victory". The instrumentals after TFE are very good though.

Hmm.. my favorite work of Neil's ends with Test for echo. After that, the stuff is not quite as appealing. See, that's what happens when you give up Ludwig for DW. That can cause artistic compromise. <evil grin>

TFE has a really dark and compact sound that I really like. After that, the only tune Rush has made that really sticks with me is "One little victory". The instrumentals after TFE are very good though.

Oops! I forgot to mention that I really, really like Snakes and Arrows! It's almost like a comeback CD. To me, every song is very listenable (whereas from at least Hold Your Fire on, several tracks have been only so-so).

Oops! I forgot to mention that I really, really like Hold your fire! It's almost like a comeback CD. To me, every song is very listenable (whereas from at least Snakes and arrows, most tracks have been only so-so and forgettable).

Fixed, and I agree with this sentiment. :)

Side one

1. "Force Ten" (lyrics: Peart, Pye Dubois) &#8211; 4:31--SUPERB
2. "Time Stand Still" &#8211; 5:09--SUPERB
3. "Open Secrets" &#8211; 5:38--VERY GOOD
4. "Second Nature" &#8211; 4:36--VERY GOOD
5. "Prime Mover" &#8211; 5:19--VERY GOOD

[edit] Side two

1. "Lock and Key" &#8211; 5:09--VERY GOOD
2. "Mission" &#8211; 5:16--VERY GOOD
3. "Turn the Page" &#8211; 4:55--VERY GOOD
4. "Tai Shan" &#8211; 4:15--SUPERB
5. "High Water" &#8211; 5:33--VERY GOOD.

DAMN great album!

Snakes and arrows OTOH (of course this is IMO...)
1. "Far Cry" - 5:18--good, but mostly memorable for the reverb effects
2. "Armor and Sword" - 6:40- so-so
3. "Workin' Them Angels" - 4:46-so-so
4. "The Larger Bowl (A Pantoum)" - 4:04- very good
5. "Spindrift" - 5:23- so-so
6. "The Main Monkey Business" - 6:00- very good
7. "The Way the Wind Blows" - 6:28-so-so
8. "Hope" - 2:01-so-so
9. "Faithless" - 5:30-so-so
10. "Bravest Face" - 5:11-so-so
11. "Good News First" - 4:50-so-so
12. "Malignant Narcissism" - 2:15-good
13. "We Hold On" - 4:11-so-so

Overall, nothing *really* sticks with me like past Rush. In fact, "One little victory" sticks with me more than anything on this album. Another word for "so-so" is "forgettable" and for me, S&A really is forgettable as a whole.

Last edited:
Fixed, and I agree with this sentiment. :)

Side one

1. "Force Ten" (lyrics: Peart, Pye Dubois) &#8211; 4:31--SUPERB
2. "Time Stand Still" &#8211; 5:09--SUPERB
3. "Open Secrets" &#8211; 5:38--VERY GOOD
4. "Second Nature" &#8211; 4:36--VERY GOOD
5. "Prime Mover" &#8211; 5:19--VERY GOOD

[edit] Side two

1. "Lock and Key" &#8211; 5:09--VERY GOOD
2. "Mission" &#8211; 5:16--VERY GOOD
3. "Turn the Page" &#8211; 4:55--VERY GOOD
4. "Tai Shan" &#8211; 4:15--SUPERB
5. "High Water" &#8211; 5:33--VERY GOOD.

DAMN great album!

Snakes and arrows OTOH (of course this is IMO...)
1. "Far Cry" - 5:18--good, but mostly memorable for the reverb effects
2. "Armor and Sword" - 6:40- so-so
3. "Workin' Them Angels" - 4:46-so-so
4. "The Larger Bowl (A Pantoum)" - 4:04- very good
5. "Spindrift" - 5:23- so-so
6. "The Main Monkey Business" - 6:00- very good
7. "The Way the Wind Blows" - 6:28-so-so
8. "Hope" - 2:01-so-so
9. "Faithless" - 5:30-so-so
10. "Bravest Face" - 5:11-so-so
11. "Good News First" - 4:50-so-so
12. "Malignant Narcissism" - 2:15-good
13. "We Hold On" - 4:11-so-so

Overall, nothing *really* sticks with me like past Rush. In fact, "One little victory" sticks with me more than anything on this album. Another word for "so-so" is "forgettable" and for me, S&A really is forgettable as a whole.

Now you know I'm gonna chime in a little here about S&A. S&A is hardly forgettable...FORGETTABLE???? Wow! Never would expect to here that said about S&A.

I love The Larger Bowl, TMMB, TWTWB,BF,GNF, MN, and We Hold On is, imo, Superb!

Also, the bass drum part in A & S is sweet! The off-beat drum line in Faithless is cool. The hard rock beat of FC is memorable.

And Hope is a great acoustic number. Alex is awesome on this one.

But forgettable?? That is WAY too harsh of a description, trkdrmr. But if that's how you feel...so be it.

Not that this rebuttal is a surprise. ;-)

Now you know I'm gonna chime in a little here about S&A. S&A is hardly forgettable...FORGETTABLE???? Wow! Never would expect to here that said about S&A.

I love The Larger Bowl, TMMB, TWTWB,BF,GNF, MN, and We Hold On is, imo, Superb!

Also, the bass drum part in A & S is sweet! The off-beat drum line in Faithless is cool. The hard rock beat of FC is memorable.

And Hope is a great acoustic number. Alex is awesome on this one.

But forgettable?? That is WAY too harsh of a description, trkdrmr. But if that's how you feel...so be it.

Not that this rebuttal is a surprise. ;-)

Again, no band is perfect. Not every album any band does is a total monster. Calling "HYF" so-so is an equally undeserved slam.

The reflection of Rush tunes that don't sound catchy to me is not a critique of the musicianship or drumming. It just reflects that I have yet to drive around town and have anything from S&A stick in my head like other Rush material. I have tried concentrated listening, background listening and S&A slides off me like teflon. I just can't get into it from any perspective that I try, the material just doesn't grab me.

Meanwhile, "Fly by Night" and "freewill" are songs that are cemented into memory, masterpieces that they are. I am starting this week practicing vintage Rush on the kit starting with fly by night.

Again, no band is perfect. Not every album any band does is a total monster. Calling "HYF" so-so is an equally undeserved slam.

The reflection of Rush tunes that don't sound catchy to me is not a critique of the musicianship or drumming. It just reflects that I have yet to drive around town and have anything from S&A stick in my head like other Rush material. I have tried concentrated listening, background listening and S&A slides off me like teflon. I just can't get into it from any perspective that I try, the material just doesn't grab me.

Meanwhile, "Fly by Night" and "freewill" are songs that are cemented into memory, masterpieces that they are.

Yea, well the fact is that Rush is certainly a band of genius(not only MY opinion), and they will always be held to a VERY high standard. Their new stuff will ALWAYS be compared to what they've done in the past. And that's been the case with them as far back as I can remember.

I've gotten past comparing what they've done in the 70's/80's/90's,etc...to what they do now. and just try to listen to what the music is...TODAY. And I can appreciate the path that they've chosen to take with their specific genre.

They are NOT creatures of repetition. As a matter of fact, that's what drives them to keep recording and touring. Changing and moving on to a different direction. That's what I really respect about them.

And that's no different with what Neil tries to do. He even says that on his 2 DVDs. Always open and looking to explore something new and uncharted. Like he says, "Adding to the toolbox".

I can definitely accept your thoughts and opinions on what you like and dis-like. You have every right to feel the way you do. And, believe it or not, when someone has a difference of opinion about what Neil Peart is all about, I do process what is said/written. But it does seem to me that NP gets unwarranted critiques from some that don't really make a point to back up what they say. Comparing him to Vinnie, or Jo Jo, or Joe Schmoe. Or saying he can't play jazz. I mean, come on! That's not a point at all. Neil is a progressive rock drummer. Probably the best ever. And I don't think he's trying to be a jazz drummer, people. What? He's not allowed to get together with Cathy Rich to remember her father and get some drumming greats together to perform in memory of him? Please. :-|

I've said this before and I'll say it again...it's human nature for us to find some fault with those that are held to a higher esteem. Rush and NP have always been targets for this kind of "crosshair" critiquing.

There's only one way to go when you're at the top of your profession and some enjoy trying to chop you down for whatever reason(s).

Last edited:
Referring to older efforts. I don't see S&A as radically different from vapor trails, certainly not the paradigm shift that Signals represented from the preceding era.

Vapor trails hold significance for me, and it is memorable because of the comeback aspects. Most of the songs evoke images from the book Ghost rider. They also have a deeper significance to me. "One little victory" sticks because it evokes moving forward, even by one small (triumphant) step after an unimaginable tragedy or defeat. "Vapor trails" evokes images seen while travelling the healing road.

Now please, sell me on S&A. What makes it great? I am not being sarcastic here, because I just don't "get" this album. I want to like it, but I have not found a reason to.

Referring to older efforts. I don't see S&A as radically different from vapor trails, certainly not the paradigm shift that Signals represented from the preceding era.

Vapor trails hold significance for me, and it is memorable because of the comeback aspects. Most of the songs evoke images from the book Ghost rider. They also have a deeper significance to me. "One little victory" sticks because it evokes moving forward, even by one small (triumphant) step after an unimaginable tragedy or defeat. "Vapor trails" evokes images seen while travelling the healing road.

Now please, sell me on S&A. What makes it great? I am not being sarcastic here, because I just don't "get" this album. I want to like it, but I have not found a reason to.

Dude, I'm not gonna try to "twist your arm" to like S&A. You have EVERY right not to find it to your liking. It's ok. Really. ;-)

But I feel that Nick Raskulinecz,(Foo Fighters producer) don't ask me to pronounce that, added a new and different spin on Rushs' current sound. Like Neil says, and I tend to agree(big surprise, huh?), Nick challenged them to elevate themselves "individually" to create a different combined experience. And Rich Chycki(Aerosmith/Mick Jagger) added his expertise with the engineering and mix.

Not necessarily elevating the "physical" part but the emotional one. And I believe that they achieved this. Though, it may be more subtle to some ears as it is to others.

To each is own, brudda. ;-)

Oh, and...

btw, Ghost Rider and Vapor Trails SHOULD evoke the same images due to the fact the book and the lyrics were penned during the same time of Neils' healing process after losing his daughter THEN his wife ten months later. :-(

It was all the similar emotional struggle he was experiencing while trying to continue with two of his life-passions...writing non-fiction and putting lyrics on paper for song.

Also, I highly recommend Ghost Rider: Travels on the Healing Road. A fabulous memoir of tragedy, grief, healing and hope.

Awesome read!

Last edited:
Oh, and...

btw, Ghost Rider and Vapor Trails SHOULD evoke the same images due to the fact the book and the lyrics were penned during the same time of Neils' healing process after losing his daughter THEN his wife ten months later. :-(

It was all the similar emotional struggle he was experiencing while trying to continue with two of his life-passions...writing non-fiction and putting lyrics on paper for song.

Also, I highly recommend Ghost Rider: Travels on the Healing Road. A fabulous memoir of tragedy, grief, healing and hope.

Awesome read!

Yes, I have read all of his books, I know his history. That was the "unimaginable tragedy" I mentioned. But the concept is universal for picking yourself up again, and getting on your feet.

I have a couple rush biographies as well. I was shocked to see Rolling Stone finally interviewed them. And Stephen Colbert is obviously a big rush fan, seems how they appeared on his show exclusively.

Neil claimed that vapor trails (lyrically) wasn't personal, but that's too transparent given the parallels to his book.

I wish he still played Ludwig.

Snakes and Arrows was ruined by the producer, plain and simple. Vapor Trails was ruined by the mastering.

All in all Test for Echo and Counterparts sound the best overall.

Snakes and Arrows was ruined by the producer, plain and simple. Vapor Trails was ruined by the mastering.

I read that the forthcoming Rush compilation has remastered material from VT.

Again, another adjective(ruined) that I totally disagree with. You may wanna think again.

Come on ns(though I love the name), that's what you have to contribute as your 2ND POST on this forum? Hmm... :-|

Ruined??

It must be me, 'cause I don't know where they come up with this stuff? Though, Mr. ns may be in disguise as someone that doesn't wanna be noticed. ;-)

Back