Trick Dominator Double Peal

Just looking for information on the slave pedal, and if it plays and feels exactly like the main/right pedal....There drive shaft is supposed to erase this (according to the description and on the pro 1-v).

Just looking for information on the slave pedal, and if it plays and feels exactly like the main/right pedal....There drive shaft is supposed to erase this (according to the description and on the pro 1-v).

The reality is no double pedals slave feels 'exactly' like the primary/main (unless you get into a design like this).

We accept that our other-foot is not a strong as our main kicker. 'Stronger/weaker' may not be the right words though. Our HH side foot in reality is not as dexterous as our kicker in most cases, it can in a lot of instances actually be 'stronger' than our kicker foot, but most often times not as dexterous.

If you're looking for some kinda 'weaker foot shortcut to equality', you should be looking the slave pedal actually... not the slaves ability to feel like the primary, but the slaves ability to be adjusted to your lesser foots ability.

Don't look for the slave to feel exactly like the main b/c your feet aren't at the exact same levels of execution. So in essence, "Ask not what your slave can do for you, ask what you can do to your slave to make your weaker foot feel comfortable."

You see double pedals marketed with pictures showing them adjusted in symmetry, i.e. beaters the same angle etc. its mainly done for marketing purposes (symmetry sells) not as an example of how you would adjust the pedal(s).

The left foot being weaker has nothing to do with this post, and should be applied elsewhere. I've tested pedals out with my right foot playing the slave soo I can compare feels. If u have suggestions on which double pedal is the closest to accomplishing equal feel in both slave and the regular pedal, if the trick is good at doing this, please reply.

This is one of those 'it ain't gonna happen', no slave pedal feels like the main, its just not reality. If you're asking people what slave feels the most like the main, then like every other pedal is going to be subjective. Id be looking for the main pedal you like the feel of most, then adding parts if needed (better drive shaft, different springs etc.) that will make the slave feel acceptable.

Although you asked the original question, you're not the only one that's going to be reading this thread, its what makes these forums great, everybody can get a little something out of all the varied responses, or at least we like to think that way. So the left foot stronger/weaker may not apply to you, but someone reading this thread may get something out of it and there's nothing wrong with that, the more information the better.

This is one of those 'it ain't gonna happen', no slave pedal feels like the main, its just not reality.

If you take a look at the trick website for the pro 1-v, they state that they've made that pedal feel exactly the same for both pedals. Close your eyes, and you would sware you were playing two single pedals. Then again, both pro 1-v and the dominator are supposed to be two seperate pedals linked with a zero backlash, free floating driveshaft that is supposed to be the reason both of these pedals feel the same for the slave and the main pedal.

This is one of those 'it ain't gonna happen', no slave pedal feels like the main, its just not reality.

If you take a look at the trick website for the pro 1-v, they state that they've made that pedal feel exactly the same for both pedals. Close your eyes, and you would sware you were playing two single pedals. Then again, both pro 1-v and the dominator are supposed to be two seperate pedals linked with a zero backlash, free floating driveshaft that is supposed to be the reason both of these pedals feel the same for the slave and the main pedal.

PEARL probably says the same thing about their DDRIVE double. Keep in mind everything you read from manufactures that entails 'selling' a product is nothing but a claim, you the buyer are the only one who can decide what's reality.

Advertisers hope you're not aware of this fact and willfully trust they're opinion, their product claim(s), happens all the time, its called getting screwed.

Any double pedal connected by a shaft will not feel the same as the primary w/o a shaft, its just not possible, it can feel real good compared to what's out there, but never the same. This is my opinion of course, I've been playing double pedals since the mid late 80's If I never played a double pedal in my life, I might probably question the whole slave feeling the same as issue.

When double pedals first hit, no one questioned the slaves lack of response, it was what it was, you just tried to make it work.

I've purchased the Trick pedal and the slave is not as responsive as the main pedal, like how it is with most double pedals. This is what I expected unfortunatley, though I haven't made any crazy adjustments yet......

Anyway, it's cool that this pedal has a footboard adjustment on it. Major downside???
When you adjust this your changing the angle of the direct drive linkage and it affects the feel of the pedal. By raising the footboard it seems to make the pedal have a heavier, harder to play feel, especially when you raise it significantly.

Another thing I've noticed is that the footboard seems thicker than most, and is pretty heavy prob because of the material it is made with.

I have a Pearl DD and the slave pedal does feel almost exactly the same as the main one.

I've purchased the Trick pedal and the slave is not as responsive as the main pedal, like how it is with most double pedals. This is what I expected unfortunatley, though I haven't made any crazy adjustments yet......

I found mine to be as responsive as the main pedal. I would assume though that you've got to lose perhaps a tiny bit of response based on the path the energy travels:

Slave footboard -> 1st U joint -> shaft -> 2nd U joint -> Main post -> slave beater ... You probably lose some response since it's traveling through joints, connections and other metal. I myself didn't notice any loss of response. There is definitely no lag (or none that I can detect) from the U joints and drive shaft. I know that if you position your pedals at sharper angles, they're not as responsive and perhaps more lag too. I have mine barely angled, not exactly straight though.

Anyway, it's cool that this pedal has a footboard adjustment on it. Major downside???
When you adjust this your changing the angle of the direct drive linkage and it affects the feel of the pedal. By raising the footboard it seems to make the pedal have a heavier, harder to play feel, especially when you raise it significantly.

This screwed me up at first, since I went from a shortboard (DW9000). I have mine just a tad above the middle setting. Seems on these pedals, it's harder to play if you raise the pedal angle. But that has a lot to do with the pedal you've used before. My steep learning curves were the longboard and direct drive.

Another thing I've noticed is that the footboard seems thicker than most, and is pretty heavy prob because of the material it is made with.

It's pretty light pedal overall (at least when I hold my DW9000 in the other hand). They use some aerospace, alloy, alum, billet thingy combination. That light alloy has much to do with it's strength and price. They're not cheap!

I'm hoping that in 3 years, much of the response is still there from slave to main. That was the main reason I bought this pedal. I believe much of that would be based on the u joints and shaft. Amazing pedals though after you figure them out.

I found mine to be as responsive as the main pedal. I would assume though that you've got to lose perhaps a tiny bit of response based on the path the energy travels:

I have the driveshaft set up almost perfectly straight so I know it has nothing to do with the angles. If you release both of the pedals at the same time, when the beaters are resting against the drumhead, you'll notice the right beater continues to move freely while the left (slave) beater comes to a stop a couple of seconds before the right.

If you're talking about the travel of energy, look at where the energy needs to go for a standard slave pedal, as you mentioned in your post.Slave footboard -> 1st U joint -> shaft -> 2nd U joint -> Main post -> slave beater ... It has to travel through the whole driveshaft and into the connection on the main pedal. (My theory as to where this slave lag comes from)

I have the driveshaft set up almost perfectly straight so I know it has nothing to do with the angles. If you release both of the pedals at the same time, when the beaters are resting against the drumhead, you'll notice the right beater continues to move freely while the left (slave) beater comes to a stop a couple of seconds before the right.

You're absolutely right about that test. Funny, because I thought I was the only one that would bother to do that. I believe the Master beater continues to move because there is nothing else attached to it like: 2 U joints, shaft, slave pedal. If you separate the 2 pedals and put the beater back on the slave, they'll probably keep moving for the same time. Also, you'd have to keep the tension the same on both spring cams whether connected or separated. So if tested freely by hand, then yes there is absolutely some resistance and drag.

If you're talking about the travel of energy, look at where the energy needs to go for a standard slave pedal, as you mentioned in your post.Slave footboard -> 1st U joint -> shaft -> 2nd U joint -> Main post -> slave beater ... It has to travel through the whole driveshaft and into the connection on the main pedal. (My theory as to where this slave lag comes from)

Well, I agree with your theory. Most dual pedals with a slave and U joint shaft are probably going to lose some energy during its travel to the master post. Then the next question might be: "Can I actually hear a difference when I'm playing double bass beats or rolls?" I actually do notice a slight difference, mainly because the master beater is positioned closer to the center of the bass drum batter than the slave beater. Force and impact appear to be the same.

I myself didn't detect any play or lag in my set up, which was my biggest concern. If you put both pedals on a table and hold the slave beater while pressing the slave pedal, it should be a pretty tight response. This test I did do right when I got the pedals. Any pedal will give you lag and play if the U joints are not tight. These TRICKS appear pretty tight. I know today the tolerances are pretty darn tight. My concern would be after 3 years. I've walked into every local GC and noticed all double pedals are thrashed there with so much play. I guess that would happen since everyone that goes there stomps on them.

Back