Investing drum and Hardware bags/cases

Hello everyone. So this is my first post on here, and I've never really done forums before, but I love drums, and talking about them. I also need advice, so any inputs will help

The time has come for me to buy some drum cases as well as a hardware bag. My band has been doing more gigs than usual lately which is awesome, but risking damaging my kit is not awesome.

The one problem I have is deciding on a hardware bag.

I have Six stands (1 hi-hat stand, 1 snare stand, 4 cymbal boom stands, along with two tom mounts for the stands, a throne, and double bass pedals)

I need a good hardware bag that can fit it all in. Soft, hard, doesn't really matter. As long as it's durable, can do the job, etc.

I've been looking at this Gator hardware bag that has wheels, a few handles, and tons of room (14x36 to be exact)

What do you guys recommend without breaking the bank?

Thanks very much!

Soft bags are good if you are going to be doing all the moving yourself. If your kit is worth saving and you don't want it damaged, get hard cases. A lot of cats like soft cases. They don't take up as much space when moving, they stow away easily and are less money.

I guess you just need to ask yourself if soft cases are going to provide enough protection for your kit and work for you?

Yeah, I'm looking at a Gator soft case now. It's not too much money, and it seems like it'll be plenty of room to fit 6+ stands as well as my throne and my pedals

It's 14x36 so I figure it'll work.

The 14x36 hardware bag may be a bit small for all of that hardware.
I fill a bag of that size with a round throne, hat stand, snare stand, single tom holder for bass drum mount, two straight cymbal stands, tom legs, and a single pedal. for my Jazz kit. I will also point out that I use only lightweight hardware.
I would go with a larger hard shell hardware case for the amount of gear that you have..
If you move your own gear then soft bags will be fine for the drums.
I move my kit about twice a week in softies with no problem.
I have done so for years.

Last edited:
Check out my hardware setup, and how I transport it:

http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195

I also like the SKB Freedom case, which is a hardware hard case with wheels. Instead of the "normal" hardcases that you have to lay on the ground and open up like a coffin, the Freedom case lid lifts off while the case is standing...you can pull your hardware out, stand by stand, while you and the case are standing. I use the Freedom case with my PA for speaker stands and mic stands. It's great, and would work great for drum hardware, especially if you don't want to collapse your cymbal stands...

Do you guys think a Hockey bag between $40-$60 would do the trick? There's a hockey store near my house, I'm thinking about checking those out. I was told some of their bags are really durable.

A hockey bag would absolutely do the trick. I use an Adidas gym bag, it holds most of my hardware.

Humes & Berg Enduro hard cases (not lined), and a Sea Bag for the hardware but that was a Iron Cobra Hi Hat Stand, 3 cymbal stands, & the bass mount, Kick peddle in a separate case...

Attachments

• Premier Genista Birch 4 Piece Kit (Copy).JPG
    Premier Genista Birch 4 Piece Kit (Copy).JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 6,041
Last edited:
I use Humes and Berg Enduro cases. They are TOUGH. I love them. And I'm in the process of finding a new hardware case. Right now I use a big blue plastic tote and it's too tall. And it's heavy. I can barely lift it myself. So I'm either going with a wooden trunk with wheels or a golf hard case or a legit hardware case.

I went with a large green bag I found at a local Army surplus store. It was only $20, pretty heavy duty canvas bag with backpack straps on it. It had worked pretty well for me.

Hey guys, one quick question.

Do you think with (6) cymbal stands (1) hi-hat stand (1) snare stand a throne and double bass pedals (separated) do you think this bag will do???

http://www.lacrossemonkey.com/lacrosse-warrior-equipment-bag-s1-blackhole.html

Thanks guys!!
You will want wheels on a bag that has to hold that much weight.
That is well over 100 LBS of hardware that you are carrying.
The bag for my Jazz kit with light hardware that I mentioned earlier weighs about 80 LBS.
Get something like the case that Caddy posted about.

I made one for about $30. I bought a big plastic box with a hinged lid at Wal-Mart and two bolt-on wheels from a hardware store. I used some wood I already had and installed the wheels on one end with long bolts. It is easy to roll and fits all of my hardware except the throne backrest. I did that about ten years ago, and it is still going strong. Peace and goodwill.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gator-GP-HDWE-Padded-Drum-Hardware-Bag-104134002-i1167071.gc

What about the 50" version of this? Do you think it'll be able to hold all of my stuff?

I've only heard good reviews on it.
You're not getting it, You have 6 cymbal stands plus a throne, hat stand, and two pedals. You need a hard case with wheels.
I have been playing and lugging kits around for over 40 years. I used to tour with an 11 piece kit with 6 cymbal stands both straight and boom.
I know how much hardware weighs.
My current 6 piece Rock kit with two double tom stands and 4 cymbal stands requires a hard case with wheels.

here is what i use. i put it on top of my my homemade drum box i and i can roll my kit in to the place in one trip

Attachments

• igloo_cooler.jpg
    igloo_cooler.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 5,759
That's a great but if you can find something with wheels it will be advantageous. As Bob said, you're not getting it; your load is a back breaking load. Caddy is right about the skb or some other wheeled container. I carried less than half that load over 10 years ago in a sea bag (which is that folded up green bag in the picture of my previous post). I'm not sure how old you are(22?) or what kind of physical shape you're in but that bag with just 3 cymbal stands, bass tom/cymbal mount, and the Hi Hat stand, was heavy and we're talking heavy. At that time I ran 5 miles on the beach 3 times a week, and was good for 100 push-ups a day; every day. Do yourself a favor and save up for something that has wheels.
Bob & Caddy are dead on here. Would NEVER try to carry that much gear now (actually I'm recovering from a car accident and couldn't carry that bag in my current physical state). When I was using that sea bag I was in excellent physical shape and it was still risky. Keep in mind, you CAN'T play if you're back is out or you're injured in some other way...

Last edited:
Back