Carter Beauford

Carter....just amazing, such a fine touch and his fills never sound busy and overdone...his groove, no comment....and his syncopated HH technique, killer, it inspired me alot, if you have a chance to see the video "under the table and drumming" he explains this approach and with a simple groove he incorporates HH variations and it brings so much color to the beat whcih technically is pretty straight forward...

....added to all this, his drumkit is sooo coooooool, I would love something like that in my house

well what can i say.
hes amazing. one of my biggest influences ever.
first heared carter with the dave matthews band and there another major influence on me.
first track i ever heared was "too much". if u havnt heared it, do so. u will understand wot i meen. i was instantly drawn into carters drumming and ever since i have studied his work.
dave seems to brings out his highest level of drumming with those grooves he gets going on. still havnt had the pleasure of meeting him yet or even seeing him live. one day guys. one day.
thats all we hope.
www.myspace.com/gazdrums1

Carter Beauford for president. Just think....some day, with lots and lots of practice.... I may never get the pattern that man lays down. He truely is amazing.

Hello Mr. Carter

First let me say I enjoy your music, and really love that kit. I'm a beginner, I just started playing a kit. I come a marching band background were I was taught to play I call it tight and I seem to brought this to my way of playing on a kit. I can't move to fast around it and my fills are slow and off timing. And my foot sits still to much. Any tips?

SlowFoot

Carter's work on the Central Park concert is especially good I think. I love how he works in the double kick to accent certain rythems. Most drummers in mainstream bands just don't know how to utilize the double kick and make it sound out of place, but Carter keeps it just right.

Hey guys im new to this forum but im a huge carter fan. Lets just say he gave the four stroke roll a WHOLE new meaning!

o yeah, and in response to the Dave "Carter Bueford on the drums!" quote...

it's "Carter BOWford on drums!" HAHA

The best there is right now in my opinion. Somebody told me they think Neil Peart is the best, which you can certainly make an arguement for. I thought about it and if you put Carter in Rush he could totally do the job, but if you put Neil Peart in Dave Matthews Band I'm not so sure it would work out. THOUGHTS?

Carter Beauford is far and away my favorite drummer, and has been for years. He has influenced my playing like no other. I have every song from every DMB album (studio AND live) stored on my computer. I can identify 99.9% of DMB songs within the first few seconds of hearing it. I can't get enough of the band, or of Carter's playing.

I love the 'jam band' sound that DMB produces, and Cater's playing is just unbelievable. If you haven't heard much of him, let me suggest the following tracks...

-Ants Marching (Live At the Gorge or Live At Folsom Field)
-Tripping Billies (Live At the Gorge)
-Two Step (The Central Park Concert)
-Warehouse (The Central Park Concert) (Towards the end he does this double-time feel...INSANE.)

I'm going to see DMB this July (my second DMB show) and I can't wait. If you have the opportunity to see this band live, GO. They are unbelievable in person. Don't miss an opportunity to see one of the greats behind the kit...

Garuda said:
11. Zildjian 13" A Custom Projection Hi-hats
spacer.gif

Is this still the main hi-hat he uses? Sounds awesome and I've been looking to get a new hi-hat soon.

Garuda said:
15. Zildjian 20" A Custom Projection Ride
spacer.gif

And this is still the main ride cymbal? Also sounds amazing.

Garuda said:
25. Zildjian 22" Oriental China Trash
spacer.gif

26. Zildjian 20" Oriental China Trash (piggyback on #25)
spacer.gif

27. Zildjian 20" Oriental Crash Of Doom
spacer.gif

Number 26 is what he uses most often, right? He crashes on that china for heavier feels, using it like a ride cymbal?

ajgdrums722 said:
Carter Beauford is far and away my favorite drummer, and has been for years. He has influenced my playing like no other. I have every song from every DMB album (studio AND live) stored on my computer. I can identify 99.9% of DMB songs within the first few seconds of hearing it. I can't get enough of the band, or of Carter's playing.

I love the 'jam band' sound that DMB produces, and Cater's playing is just unbelievable. If you haven't heard much of him, let me suggest the following tracks...

-Ants Marching (Live At the Gorge or Live At Folsom Field)
-Tripping Billies (Live At the Gorge)
-Two Step (The Central Park Concert)
-Warehouse (The Central Park Concert) (Towards the end he does this double-time feel...INSANE.)

I'm going to see DMB this July (my second DMB show) and I can't wait. If you have the opportunity to see this band live, GO. They are unbelievable in person. Don't miss an opportunity to see one of the greats behind the kit...

I was just listening to the Central Park concert yesterday actually. I love his drumming during the jam in 'Two Step', sooo amazing.

The Two Step version on the Central Park Concert is one of the most incredible drum performance I have ever witnessed/ heard !

Plus note that during the Jazz jam, people continue to dance, Carter can't help but being groovy and funky in everything he plays !

Check out also the Seek Up version on the live at the gorge dvd, just incredible !!!
The way he interacts with the keyboard player when he is playing the melody of the tune with his set of cowbells ( or whatever they are) and after the subtle triplets he does on his big ride cymbal !!! Tasty, delicate and marvelous playing all the way through !!!!

Those are the hats and ride he used on last summers tour. I have that projection ride and love it for larger venues, but it is quite a thick cymbal and cuts through the guitars in a smaller club. I really like how Carter plays both ride cymbals next to eachother. The projection on top of that other flat ride (no bell) with the short string of beads for sustain, is a great set up. When playing the projection ride pretty hard, it will just touch the other ride creating unique cymbal-on-cymbal sustains.

The china trashs together sound great and it is what he will use for his biggest crashes.

Hey one more thing Carter fans.... AOL Radio has the All Dave Matthews Band station back for a while! I've been streaming it for the last few days, damn I love Carter! AOL will play everything from live shows and studio tracks including a couple random solos, like the one at the central park concert.

Carter Beaufrt is genious! I love his drumming, and the music of Dave Matthews Band..
He is my boyfriend's favourite drummer, and I like him more and more too..
He makes the music groove..!

I just had the pleasure to see Carter with the Dave Matthews Band last night at Bonner Springs, Kansas at the Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre. A few friends and I drove 6 hours, around 400 some miles just to see DMB. Carter amazed me the entire night, he was just solid, tasteful, and simply amazing. The group had so much energy and Carter just layed it down. He is one of my favorite drummers and if you ever get a chance to see him live, DO IT!!!!

danielheier said:
I just had the pleasure to see Carter with the Dave Matthews Band last night at Bonner Springs, Kansas at the Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre. A few friends and I drove 6 hours, around 400 some miles just to see DMB. Carter amazed me the entire night, he was just solid, tasteful, and simply amazing. The group had so much energy and Carter just layed it down. He is one of my favorite drummers and if you ever get a chance to see him live, DO IT!!!!

Did they have a good setlist (not that any DMB setlist is bad)?

What songs did they play? Were you lucky enough to catch a Carter solo (I'm guessing prob. not).

I'm seeing them this Tuesday!!!!

im a big fan of carter and hes been one of my major influences over my years of drumming. He puts so much variety into his grooves with splashes and hihat off beats.

I'm not a fan of DMB, but Carter has a lot of skill. Anyone notice his hand speed? This dude has some of the fastest hands I've ever heard; he's just as fast (if not faster) than a lot of death and black metal drummers.

- Marc

Back