Acceptable reasons for you to get up from the drums mid song?

We nearly quit a gig before it even started. The area set aside to accommodate us was not nearly big enough for our equipment - we had to negotiate more space. But I can't remember getting up mid song. We've had some false starts over the years, in which the guitarist butchered the opening chords or riff, and shut the song down until he got it right. That was embarrassing.

Have not done that yet on the drums, but I used to do alot of live mixing and one night almost ended when I pulled the faders down and turned off the board because I was heavily insulted by the band leader. He screamed things into the mic that I don't want to repeat here.
Unfortunately I have zero tolerance for such behavior.

It took quite some time for him to apologize, so more than half of the audience had left already. Most of the rest were booing, too.

I have never experienced something like that again.

When I saw the thread title, this is the first thing that crossed my mind:

Derrick M air.jpg

This is my friend Derrick Martin (aka D'Mar). He toured with Little Richard for many years and learned the art of showmanship. Grooves like a freight train and is a trained percussionist. But he is better known for this stunt of leaping up on the drum kit. Cat seriously knows how to "get on up".

MAD, this is simply your best work yet. The most astounding fact is that the sandwich appears to be meatless, and I am in fact, a vegetarian. You are obviously omnipresent.

The caption should probably read: "**** you guys, and this song, there's a sandwich over there."

Last edited:
I've never walked out during a show before, but I've definitely wanted to in the past. The singer had the heroin nods during the set a few times and it nearly came to blows I was so angry at him. Realistically, I just can't see leaving in the middle of a song ever.

Although, one time at a party I fell off the back of the stage. during a song. Believe it or not, a kiddie pool margarita does not lead to a better performance.

I've never gotten up during a gig, nor has any band member ever done so. However, a few years back in one of my old bands, we were auditioning a new bassist. Prior to coming out he decided that he wasn't happy playing the bass lines written so he came in and started playing his own bass lines he'd written for the music. This completely messed with the flow of the song and none of us were happy.

The guitarist and I got over it pretty quick and we finally got the guy to do the proper parts but our singer couldn't get over the guys arrogance. Within 3 songs and much heated conversation between our singer and the bassist, he was packing up and was gone without another word. He just stopped playing right in the middle of a song and started packing his stuff away. Was quite funny.

Back