RenaissanceMan

1968 Ludwig Clubdate

DSC02926.jpg

Mapex MBirch

DSC02980.jpg

Mapex Saturn

DSC03079.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice kits. I like the Saturn best. Which one do you favor?

Very nice kits. I like the Saturn best. Which one do you favor?

Thanks. The Ludwigs and the Mapex are very different, so it's really difficult to say which I like "best". It really depends on the sound I'm trying to get. Overall, I'd say that the Saturns are my favorite. They sound incredible mic'd up on stage. Getting ready to pull the trigger on a Ludwig Keystone kit.

I guess the bonus of buying smaller kits is that you can buy more of them. :) I like the Saturn best. Gee I wonder why.

I guess the bonus of buying smaller kits is that you can buy more of them. :) I like the Saturn best. Gee I wonder why.

There is a logic to the smaller kits. The Clubdate kit is configured as it originally was back in '68. The Mapex MBirch is a rehearsal hit. The Saturn is one of my gigging kits. It's a 2 up one down that is easy to set up and tear down. My new Ludwig kit is a 1 up 2 down that also is easy to lug around. To me, huge kits are not great to gig with. I'm past the point in my life where I want to move around, set up and tear down a huge kit every weekend. Too much work. Plus.........really.........how many of those drums actually get banged? Really.

There is a logic to the smaller kits. The Clubdate kit is configured as it originally was back in '68. The Mapex MBirch is a rehearsal hit. The Saturn is one of my gigging kits. It's a 2 up one down that is easy to set up and tear down. My new Ludwig kit is a 1 up 2 down that also is easy to lug around. To me, huge kits are not great to gig with. I'm past the point in my life where I want to move around, set up and tear down a huge kit every weekend. Too much work. Plus.........really.........how many of those drums actually get banged? Really.
I am not doing a lot of moving around right now, but you are right about smaller being easier. My gigging kit is going to be a 6 piece which is the bare minimum I want to play, and yes I will beat all of them. I hate to leave anybody out. :) It really depends on the style of music being played.

I love the Club date kit.

Yeah, I love that kit. I don't play it that much anymore. That picture is actually not the right one. If you notice, I put the wrong floor tom there for the picture. The lugs are different and its not part of that kit. I wasn't paying attention when I pulled the floor tom to put the kit together for this pic. I've got the correct picture somewhere and I'll have to change it here.

My gigging kit is going to be a 6 piece which is the bare minimum I want to play, and yes I will beat all of them. I hate to leave anybody out. :) It really depends on the style of music being played.

Very true. BTW, a 6 pc kit is not that large and certainly is manageable.

Very true. BTW, a 6 pc kit is not that large and certainly is manageable.
3 up, 1 down, all hanging, snare and bass seems to be what I use the most, for drums.
2 crash, one ride, one hat, for cymbals. Maybe China depending on if a song needs it.
One rack, with everything memory locked.
Stool.

This would be bare minimum for me.

3 up, 1 down, all hanging, snare and bass seems to be what I use the most, for drums.
2 crash, one ride, one hat, for cymbals. Maybe China depending on if a song needs it.
Stool.

That sounds like a very nice set up!

Arrived today:

Ludwig Keystone Series in Oyster Mint Glass.

24x14, 13x9, 16x16 & 16x18

DSC03115.jpg

DSC03116.jpg

DSC03117.jpg

DSC03118.jpg

DSC03119.jpg

Very nice, one kit better than the next. The new ones are my favorite this time.

Current kits, and soon to be for sale YRC about 4.5 yrs old in piano black; 16x22 /9x10 (twice) tuned obviously different, 14x14 fl.(legged).
Premier Signia trying to get info on when they were first made, this s an early version because theres no tom supports mounts on the tubes. /9x10/10x12/12x14 (legged) 16x20 the color is called Amythest.
Thin 6ply Birch to thin 5ply Maple is a nice change but I think both of the kits are outstanding in their own rite. I wanted a change from the 22 and was first looking for a 20 or 18 in a YRC, but then decided to try a maple kit because I haven't owned one in over 30 years.
The YRC have been mass produced for some time now but as far as Birch shells are concerned I've only played and heard two offerings that I felt were great sounding and thats the YRC and Eames Finetone. I bought a Pearl Masters Birch ( 6ply) a few years back an was extremely disappointed in them and as soon as I set them up and played them they were for sale that night. Others I've played had some attack and a little punch but were void of bottom end. The YRC & Eames have plenty and as far as setting up mics these kits reproduce themselves with the minimum amount of EQ, both are a soundmans delight. I'm a better player for owning both of those high quality kits. Doc

Stool.

Terry Bozzio over here...

To the OP, those are some beautiful drums you got there. The Club Date is my favorite, I really like old school Ludwigs, there more recent offerings on the other hand...

That said those Keystones also look fantastic. Not as big of a fan of the Mapex, they seem a tad sterile looking to me in all honesty, but to each his own.

Back