Jimmy "The Reverend" Sullivan

Re: The Reverand

One of my favorite bands. I think the drummer is the main attraction, but the guitarist does display some amazing talent. The singer isn't that bad, but sounds better when he screams. He can't scream now though because he had throat surgery.

The Reverend

Avenged Sevenfold's drummer. Most people might know their song Bat Country from MTV's TRL, which was recently the number one video. He is a very good drummer on all their CD's (Sounding the Seventh Trumpet, Waking the Fallen, and City of Evil). He's very creative and is excellent with his feet not only in speed, but rudimentally and rythmacally.

Anyone know his real name? I only know the stage names of A7X.

Last edited:
Re: Jimmy Sullivan

I've gotten into Avenged Sevenfold recently, and I must say I agree with you on how he puts the double bass in at some parts it sounds really sweet. Although far from my favorite drummer and band, they're both quickly rising on my list.

Based on "Bat Country" I think this drummer (stage names are the dumbest things in the history of music) is nothing more than a person who can play fast beats on a bass and has bad snare sound. Whatever happened to groove?

Re: The Reverand (Avenged Sevenfold)

Anyway: I happen to think the Reverand is just another Hardcore drummer. I don't feel he has brought anything new to the genre, and I don't think he is that good at hardcore drumming. He doesn't display any knowledge of other types of drumming (like jazz). Plus I think Avenged Sevenfold is the most ridiculous band in existance (who would give themselves stage names like that?)

- Marc

wontgetfooledagain said:
Based on "Bat Country" I think this drummer (stage names are the dumbest things in the history of music) is nothing more than a person who can play fast beats on a bass and has bad snare sound. Whatever happened to groove?

This guy is totally right; I hate his snare sound too!!!! The Reverand has no sense of grooves - Avenged Sevenfold are talented musicians separately (you can tell just by listening to them), but when they perform as a band, I hate it.

- Marc

tambian89 said:
This guy is totally right; I hate his snare sound too!!!! The Reverand has no sense of grooves - Avenged Sevenfold are talented musicians separately (you can tell just by listening to them), but when they perform as a band, I hate it.

- Marc
And I'm not even a drummer...though I was at one time.

tambian89 said:
Plus I think Avenged Sevenfold is the most ridiculous band in existance (who would give themselves stage names like that?)

- Marc

Just thought i would throw this out here, the reason for the weird stage names is becaue they were tired of people bothering them, calling them adding there emails etc. So they decided to make fake stage names... simple concept really, i don't think they were trying to be "cool" or unique. Just my 2 cents

tambian89 said:
He doesn't display any knowledge of other types of drumming (like jazz). Plus I think Avenged Sevenfold is the most ridiculous band in existance (who would give themselves stage names like that?)

- Marc

Well he's not in a jazz band, so its unlikely to be immediately obvious if he can play any jazz. And there are definately bands with much more ridiculous gimmicks than dodgy stage names. coughslipknotcough

Re: The Reverend

giant_mtb said:
Avenged Sevenfold's drummer. Most people might know their song Bat Country from MTV's TRL, which was recently the number one video. He is a very good drummer on all their CD's (Sounding the Seventh Trumpet, Waking the Fallen, and City of Evil). He's very creative and is excellent with his feet not only in speed, but rudimentally and rythmacally.

Anyone know his real name? I only know the stage names of A7X.

his name is Jimmy Sullivan
hes a very talented drummer but hes not incredible but i do have to say his drumming fits the music quite well plus as many have said he is quite underrated cause you hear everyone talking about travis barker but the rev can take him to town and back again so i hope he gets the recognition he deserves

No we are talking! This guy is great. Too bad he doesn't have 17 pages of discussion thread like some other guy that I've been known to criticize.

This is INTERESTING use of doubles and blasts and big tom fills. He is very musical, flamming across multiple drums and lots of dynamics. His drumming is very very very good! It is refreshing for someone to play this kind of music to give it some space and not just bash away with running 32nd notes and double stroke snare riffs for 3 minutes straight.

The Middle of "Beast and the Harlot" has serious chops.

My one complaint would be the heavily engineered drum sound on his bassdrums.

Last edited:

yeah, but because of the stage name he uses u cant find any info on this guy. its like calling himself "dude"

Re: Avenged Sevenfold

i just heard this band for the first time this past weekend, and must say i was impressed. i thought they had a good and unique sound, diverse tunes, and definite talent. i think they're coming around here soon, so perhaps i'll check 'em out.

always nice to hear of newer bands that are going beyond the same 'ole, same 'ole.

geez, i am really killin' time at work if i'm on page 14 of this section...

drumguyjrk said:
Hey Tambian89 i think your opinion hardly matters in a situation. Just letting your experience speak for it self. Granted that you can learn alot in a few years, there is still a lot of drumming knowledge that takes many years to gain. A drummer is a unique person and has the right to show it through their drumming. They have their own right to learn whatever they want, they have the right to play how good they want, and they have the right to incorporate what types of music they want. I think The Reverend plays pretty good.
Given the fact that his drum parts are not all the same and they fit the music. I think next time you say something about a drummer you should listen very closely to all their music before you judge them.

Ok: My opinion hardly matters......how? That's pretty rude of you to say; I did nothing to really attack him or you. Are you saying that because I've been drumming for just over 2 years, I have no right to express my opinion? Send me a person message if you have something against me or something like that.

I have listened to Avenged Sevenfold, and personally I don't like them. I have looked at the drum parts, too. In terms of creativity, everything the Reverand has played has been done before. In fact, Blake Richardson of Between the Buried and Me seems to do a better job than the Reverand does; Richardson is able to play in not only a more appealing manner, but has a better sense of grooves, as they are far more interesting.

Of course I realize a person can do whatever they want; I myself do it in my own band. I just think that the Reverand doesn't seem to incorporate other styles into his drumming, and his so-called "grooves" have been done before (listen to ...And Justice For All by Metallica, whom "A7X" cites as one of their main influences). Instead of attempting to encompass a wide array of styles, he sticks to typical hardcore grooves. I hardly consider him a bad drummer - he plays his style well - but I feel he gets far too much recognition, and is highly over-rated. His drumming is good, however, it is not a superior as everyone views it; he isn't that good where he deserves this recognition. When he can bring something new to Hardcore music (which Blake Richardson has done), then I will consider as great as everyone else seems to consider him until then, I don't.

- Marc

Last edited:
Re: Avenged Sevenfold

After being beaten over the head with tune on the local radio for the last two weeks I've been dying to bash this tune and FINALLY I can. What is up with the sound of his drums? The snare drum sounds completely awful. Bass drum(s) are poorly tuned as well. I also think that he's so busy trying to show off his chops that his kicks aren't on time. I also think he's not very clean in his playing.

There I feel better.

Digital said:
The drumming on Bat Country is just amazing

Yes! Yes! I love it. I'm glad I'm not alone in my dislike of this stuff.

tambian89 said:

- Marc

This is a jazz drummer's opinion after listening to the whole newest album.....
Drummer in question is very very good- great time, great part selection, nice touch for the music. Good technique, too. Not my style, but objectively speaking his playing is great and he's got a lot of stuff going. Keep on rockin' Reverend.
edit: I also think he's the tightest and most technically accomplished in the band... You can tell by his time. He carries that group, I think. Much like Travis Barker carries Blink.

I quite like the oomph in his snare drum. It's refreshing to hear something other than ultra-high pitched crakin' snares for once.

He could stand to have a little more snare sound and a little less "snares off" sound I suppose.

Are we listening to the same tune Stu? Bat Country? Good God man, if you thought the DW snare sound was bitchin' in the "baby drummer" thread, how can you like this snare sound?

Stu_Strib said:
I quite like the oomph in his snare drum. It's refreshing to hear something other than ultra-high pitched crakin' snares for once.

Its not possible to judge this this drummer by the song bat country. Their second CD waking the fallen, has amazing drumming throughout and I am blown away every time I listen to it.

Back