What electronic drums do you love most?

FrankMatlock

Hey,

I'm a big electronic drum enthusiast and would like to get to know more about YOUR experiences with them.

Do you own any? Have you used any other kits?

Did you enjoy playing with them? If you could change one thing about them, what would it be?

Cheers!

I have a Yamaha DTX500...or DTXpress full kit...it was like $650 new, say, 3 years ago. For quiet practice at home, to me, it sounds great and has the features I need it to have to be an effective tool. The pads, being that it is a more economical kit, are stiff, but to me they feel good and give a good approximation of a real drum.

I have access to a Roland TD-20 full kit and of course that is an awesome setup....but for the cost and the use, the Yamaha has exceeded my expectations,

I have made a few, very few, upgrades. I bought an Alesis cymbal pad and put it on a stand to be my ride, I put the floor tom pad on a snare stand to get rid of one rack arm and I'm going to put the snare pad on a snare stand

Hi from Athens,
my setup:
module:td-4 roland
snare : td-125,toms : pd85 x2,floor tom : pdx-8,kick:kd-9,hihat:vh-11,crash1:cy-12rc,crash2:cy-8,ride:cy-15
hardware: bass pedal : pearl p900,hihat stand : pearl-1000,throne Pearl d-1000
monitor:medeli ap30

Attachments

• image_25441.jpg
    image_25441.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 1,027
  • image_25438.jpg
    image_25438.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 1,067
  • image_25442.jpg
    image_25442.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 1,070
  • image_25439.jpg
    image_25439.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 1,055
I've had a Roland TD-8 then Roland TD-10. Then went to a Yamaha DTXtreme III

Had a Roland TD-20x module for several days (long story)

Currently have a Roland TD-30 Module with various Roland pads and Yamaha cymbals.

Heard good things about the 2Box but I like the GUI on modules, tuning and EQ options etc are a breeze on high end Roland modules.

Totally blown away by the TD-30, cymbals, kicks and snares etc are simply incredible. Roland have eliminated that horrible 'machine gun' tom fill too in the 30

One thing I do not understand with Roland, Yamaha and even 2Box is why do they not even attempt to try to make the cymbals like acoustic cymbals. The High end Roland CY-15's etc, if they can make them black, why not paint them gold or bronze!

It's one major gripe for me, I play live with my TD-30 module and have converted my acoustic kit with Piezo sensors etc purely for cosmetic reasons...........the cymbals looks s*** to me and things like Gen16s os smarttrigger are just too dear for cosmetic reasons

I use electronics to do what you can't do with acoustic drums. I have both a Roland and a Yamaha, that I don't use anymore.​
What I do find intriguing is the old Tama Techstar TS305. Six channels of analog synth. I have one of those.​
I also own 2 Korg Wave drums ..... 2 Mandala V1's ..... and a Roland SPD-S. I prefer using electronics with acoustic drums, or at least acoustic cymbals and snare. More hybrid than straight electronic.​

I'm with Harry. I used to own a Roland TD10 but now would use electronics to get sounds I can't get any other way. If I find some old Simmons or Syndrums, or Synare modules on eBay, I may get one or two.

Been playing/owning many kits so far ...
Currently in love with 2box :)
Always been a Roland man myself but have been hearing nothing but good things about the 2Box from those in the know. Can you elaborate on what makes these so awesome? (Seriously need to upgrade from the TD10 at some point)!

Mine! LOL I have only been seriously drumming for little more than a year and have the Roland TD 30KV set. I feel like I need a few more years to appreciate all they have to offer

I love my fully expanded Octapad! It is especially great at 4AM!
I can also incorporate it into my acoustic setup for hundreds of sounds live.
This takes the place of a gong, chimes, congas, vibraslap, rainstick, and lots more!

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 944
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 939
Always been a Roland man myself but have been hearing nothing but good things about the 2Box from those in the know. Can you elaborate on what makes these so awesome? (Seriously need to upgrade from the TD10 at some point)!

One of the main advantages for me is:
- since I'm using VST's exclusively for many years (no sounds from modules) - it's the ability to load the samples directly in the module. So that means no dependency on the laptop, its power, RAM, drivers, ASIO, ...
Just power ON and play all those wonderful sounds/samples!

I'm a Roland TD-30 man. I love it so much I bought two:

twins-o.gif

Attachments

• image_25379.jpg
    image_25379.jpg
    585.1 KB · Views: 996
I have had various Roland kits and also modules including Td 9 Td 15 and Td 30 but Now I using and love the 2 box module with a a to a converted set of Ludwigs and they blow the Roland's away with the cleanest and most real drum sounds in the marketplace bar none! 2box!

I had owned a Roland TD 5 in the early's and didn't like it very much, hated the rubber pads at the time on this kit. I am a confessed Acoustic drum set fan, but recently purchased a Roland TD 11KVS . I was initially interested in a Yamaha 502 series kit. I loved the DTX silicon pads and the acoustic drum sounds in the DTX 500 module. I hated the fact that all the pads were not the silicon pads and the tom pads were rubber pads. This was a deal breaker for me so I bought the Roland kit since all the tom and snare pads were mesh pads and not rubber.

The sounds and tracking on the TD 11 are leaps and bounds better than my old TD 5. I have had the kit about three weeks and it is strictly for quiet practice in my Townhouse. I love the coach features . They really get your time up to speed in a hurry !

Now that the production and distribution has loosened up. look heavy into 2 Box and if you dont want the whole kit put some mesh heads on any acoustic kit with some decent triggers and just get the module and you wont believe how good they sound . It is an open sound module so what you can do with importing your own sounds is limitless. I just got bfd 3 and Addictive drums and they sound even better than the stock kits. I had a roland td 30 and I thought it was awesome , but after using my 2 box with my rolands and some good triggers, the sounds from 2 box blow the rest away, Check out Scott from cymbalism music . He is the best. and he know'w what he is talking about

It's no secret I love my Roland TD-30 / TD-9 kit. I would have no other!

Back