Isolation Headphones

JazzStudies14

So right now i have the Vic Firth SIH1 Stereo Isolation headphones, and basically they are broken down and no longer work. Though when i had them even though the isolation function was great, the actual audio was almost impossible to hear over my drumset. My birthday is actually tomorrow and my parents are getting me a new pair as a present.
Ive looked into Direct Sound headphones and such, but my question is what would you guys recommend and why would you recommend them. Let me know what you have and works for you. I could spend up to like 300 bucks.
Thanks Again
!
!

I use Sony XB-500 Headphones. They have a really clear sound and really makes the bass stand out( which is a huge plus for me.) They also have really soft and comfy cushions around the ear pieces so it block out alot of sound and makes them comfy to wear!

I got them for $130 and havn't looked back since!

Although if i had $300 to spend i'd look at Shure 850's. those are some sweet headphones!

Cheers and Good luck!
Brady

I have a lot of different types of headphones, but the two I usually use when I'm tracking drums are the Sennheiser 280 or the Audio Technica M50. The Sennheisers are about $100 USD and the Audio Technica are about $150. The Sennheisers have very good outside noise rejection which they claim to be about 31 decibels and their frequency response is pretty good. The Audio Technica has a smoother frequency response but just a bit less rejection. So I guess it depends on your style of playing. If you're a hard hitter, maybe the Sennheisers would be a better choice.

Dennis

There are a few threads on this...

I've found that the GK Music Ultraphones are the best-sounding, best-isolating phones around (and yes, I've owned the Direct Sound and Metrophones, the nearest competitors, though hardly comparable.)

They're $220-230, and you can only get them online at www.gk-music.com

Yeah, they're big and goofy, but they're the best.

Bermuda

I've found that the GK Music Ultraphones are the best-sounding, best-isolating phones around (and yes, I've owned the Direct Sound and Metrophones, the nearest competitors, though hardly comparable.)

Bermuda

Hi Bermuda

So strange: Want to buy these headphones, went to their website, gave all my information, a paypal-field comes up saying shipping free to Switzerland. Could'nt believe, wanted to aks about - but all attemps, also to contact ends up with a nonacceptance from them, because my activities are considered as spam. They send me to a next page, there the same, so i end up in internet-nirwana, lol....

Bernhard

Bermuda

I swear by these things. I originally bought them for mixing live bands here at Disney (especially when you have to mix from behind the band!). These are awesome.

I called Gordy Knutsen about them and he told me they're basically the Sony MDR-7590 stereo reference headphones put into Pelco shooting headphones. So, next time you got a hankerin' for shootin', at least you can listen to Mozart!

Bermuda

+2 20charactersover and over

I called Gordy Knutsen about them and he told me they're basically the Sony MDR-7590 stereo reference headphones put into Pelco shooting headphones.

Peltor... correct. He originally made them with the Sony 600 elements, which were considered pro studio phones, although I never liked them. He later started using the elements from the Sony 7506 (which also happen to be my favorite home phones.)

Considering the muffs are $30 and the phones are $100, I don't think his price is out of line at all. I use them onstage and for every session. I'm surprised that studios don't keep at least one pair on-hand for the drummer.

Bermuda

Hi Bermuda

So strange: Want to buy these headphones,

It's worth a call or email to them, the info is on their site. Gordy and his wife have always been very helpful and taken my credit card info over the phone.

You will absolutely love these phones!

Bermuda

Peltor... correct. He originally made them with the Sony 600 elements, which were considered pro studio phones, although I never liked them. He later started using the elements from the Sony 7506 (which also happen to be my favorite home phones.)

Considering the muffs are $30 and the phones are $100, I don't think his price is out of line at all. I use them onstage and for every session. I'm surprised that studios don't keep at least one pair on-hand for the drummer.

Bermuda

I stand corrected. Peltor and 7506. I was trying to remember the numbers at work and came home and lo and behold - Bermuda is right! I also have the regular 7506 headphones in my studio, I love those headphones too. Best $100 I ever spent on those.

Back