What would you do if you had all day, everyday off?

Snare

I just got out of school for the summer and noticed I have a lot of free time that I could use to improve my drumming, instead of lounging around.

I pretty much practice drumming (lax practice), listen to music on YouTube, and do Tae Kwon Do whenever I feel like it. I have a couple of summer assignments, which I could do anytime I feel like. (not that I'd wait my entire two months to start) And I'm doing some college visits here and there. I keep saying I'll get a drum instructor and start some serious practice in with my drumming and martial arts (outside of class), but that practice doesn't happen often enough. lol

Just curious, what would you do with 24/7 free time?

i think i would practice 4+ hours a day, hit music stores / pawn shops for 1 hour each day, go to jams 1-2 times per week & accept ALL gigs so that i am either jamming, rehearsing or gigging almost every day. gig $ would go to new/used gear or instructional stuff. internet drum surfing & dojo should fill up the rest of the time, heh.

That is too true. I always say I would be more productive if I had more time off, but when I get it, nothing seems to get done. I guess I become more motivated when I am very busy.

Ideally, if I had all the time off & I wouldn't be a lazy ass I would: Play as much as possible, work out everyday, get things done that I have not had time.

I personally am off school now too :)

I spend most of my day practicing drums, browsing drummerworld or talking to friends :p

The other time is spent whilst sleeping and eating ;)

George.

Sleep a hell of a lot, play with the kids, annoy the wife, work on all my little side projects, continue to not practice drumming.

I'd drink. I ran into a similar problem when my semester ended, went from 15hrs and a part time job to nothing. I suppose you could join a band.

Honestly, nothing. I'd sit around all day and do absolutely nothing.

Not working now, I ask myself this question every day.

My mornings are spent drinking coffee, surfing the net or doing chores. Go to lunch with the gf then typically head to my jam space until she's done work. Been playing lots of guitar, writing and arranging for the duo I hope to get off the ground with my gf.

Duo aside, we plan to travel. I guess for me that's the answer to "what to do when there's nothing to do". One of my favorite parts of touring with the band has been all these random places, sights and people that you never get to see enough of 'cause you've got to haul ass outta town early the next day to make you next gig. We're currently shopping for camper vans and hope to be on the road with no specific destination by the beginning of August.

Regarding the duo, tied in with the traveling - I'm imagining a scenario where once we get a set or 2 together, we can hit the road as performers and subsidize our travel expenses with gig income. That's the ultimate "what I'd do if I had everyday off" with a cherry-on-top / have my cake and eat it too scenario for me, we'll see if we can't make it happen.

Well I know acid lasts like 7 hours...

Well the only problem with visiting shops and stuff is
1. I don't have license or permit. Actually I start driving school in two weeks, so I'd have to put that plan off until next summer, assuming I don't have an internship.

Current schedule:
Wake up at 9:00 am, watch tv for a bit and eat.
10:00 am hop on the computer and do random stuff for an hour or two
12:00 play the set for like 2 hrs.
2:00 pm eat, do some of my summer assignments
4:00 start getting ready for my Tae Kwon Do classes
5:15 to around 7:00 pm I'm gone
7pm get home, take a shower and eat
8 pm to 11 pm relax via ipod, internet, maybe watch a movie on the huge tv in the basement or play the ps3.
If I'm awake any later I must have found something interesting on the internet or on the tv.
1am to 9am get my eight hours and repeat the process, maybe slightly altered by doing push-ups, lifting weights, going to the movies, mall, etc. Typical teenager lounging.

theindian same here, during the school year I'm always like "I'll try to do this during the summer break" but once it hits (and as you can see from my schedule) I'm like "....eh...I'll do it when I feel like it." lol

I would get more miles of my runs in.I run about 30 miles per week,if i was off id be doing 50 miles per week..Love running on the boardwalk right on the ocean.......next to playing drums its what i love..........

Hey, here's a whacky idea for starters - why don't you try looking for a f*****g job like the rest of us mugs? Just a thought. :)

If i had all day everyday off, i think i would have to just spend every minute of it talking to my one and only.
Couldn`t think of anything better i would or could do with my day.
Slushy i know, but who cares.

Fix my house up, go fishing, grow stuff, play drums, gig, rehearse, visit friends, travel, read, learn, DW, relax, camp, swim, cook, buy stuff, follow James around and yank his chain...

My schedule - I'm home from college in the same situation you are...

8:30am - eat, watch sportscenter
9:30am - game, and/or drum, and/or practice guitar (which is really hard...)
12:30pm - lunch
1:30- any number of things including playing badminton in the backyard, swimming, running, lifting, watch rescue me on netflix, watch some movie, hang out with friends, i have a baseball game to umpire quite often,
6:30 - dinner
7:30-12:00- relaxxxxxxxxx

If i had all day everyday off, i think i would have to just spend every minute of it talking to my one and only.
Couldn`t think of anything better i would or could do with my day.
Slushy i know, but who cares.

your drums talk?!?!?! damn that must be a nice kit.......

Spend more time with my kids. Improve my musicianship on the drums and maybe even volunteer to teach somewhere.

Back