Riffs That Make You Go "Oooh..."

I like the rhythmic riff off "I am a pig" by Rob Halford
but the guitar riffs at the beginning of
The Hellion/Electric eye by Judas Priest are amongst my favourites.

Edit:- Actually I like anything by Judas Priest
Glenn Tipton and KK Downing are the riff masters!

PRAISE THE PRIEST!!
YEAH!

I'm seeing them with Whitesnake for the 30th anniversery of British Steel tour!
=D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpZL8c1HIOY&feature=related

Hysteria is the most epic sing I've heard in my life, and that bass line line is like a train the whole way through.

omfg yes!! that bass line is epic!

i remember the first time i heard this song. sitting in my buddy's car on our way to a music store a few towns away. the whole band was in the car as we had a show that night and were grabbing some supplies, everyone had already heard the cd so i was the nub. after the previous song finished they paused the cd, looked at me and said "are you ready to have your mind blown?" of crouse my response was, "it's probably not that great, they sound like a thom yorke ripoff, but w/e" they all laughed and hit play. as soon as it started my jaw hit the floor. and i have been in love with muse every since.

One of my favorites is Hysteria by Muse.

Right on bro!
That bass riff is in a class of it's own.

When my bass playing son first heard that riff he went away and practiced it until he had it right.

It's the kind of riff you don't tire of because it builds so much expectancy.
Classy

Last edited:
I think there are so many riffs like this. Although Body Hammer is my favourite i think there are others which come really close in the metal section, the first riff in 'Now you've got something to die for' by LOG is one of the best i've heard in a while. On Devin Townsend's, Ziltoid the Omniscient the first proper riff in 'Planet Smasher' had me banging my head like mad lol and 'The Henchmen ride' by Testament is skull crunching. As for lighter stuff, 'Auberge' by Chris Rea has a fantastic slide guitar riff as does AC/DC's 'Stormy Mayday' which is phenomenal.

Most of RATM's riffs!
Facts of Life - King Crimson
Bottom (the heavy slow part, before and after Henry Rollins singing) - Tool
Sweet Leaf - Black Sabbath
Dream - Mahavishnu Orchestra
Sweet Young Thing Ain't Sweet no More - Mudhoney
Frances Farmer Will Have Her Revenge on Seattle - Nirvana
Ice Will - Knut
Wyriwys - Knut

My favorite are the riffs done in Alice In Chains. Like Them Bones Would? or Man In The Box

Rainmaker - Iron Maiden

New Dark Ages - Bad Religion

Both just punch you in the face.

I like the rhythmic riff off "I am a pig" by Rob Halford
but the guitar riffs at the beginning of
The Hellion/Electric eye by Judas Priest are amongst my favourites.

Edit:- Actually I like anything by Judas Priest
Glenn Tipton and KK Downing are the riff masters!

I fully agree, Judas Priest's riffs are amazing and raw. Screaming For Vengeance is an excellent album, I also like Bloodstone, Riding On The Wind, Take These Chains, You've Got Another Thing Comin'...

Other Priest albums with great riffs are: Sin After Sin, Hell Bent for Leather, Stained Class, Unleashed In The East, British Steel, Point Of Entry, Defenders Of The Faith, Turbo, Priest...Live, Ram It Down, Painkiller, Angel Of Retribution, Nostradamus.

Rob Halford bands: Fight (War of Words, has dark-metal riff), Halford (Crucible, has killer riffs).

Cheers,

pantera- stronger then all
pantera- walk
pantera- mouth for war
metallica- sad but true
megadeth- holy wars/the pushment due
alice in chains- junkhead (and a bunch of other songs on dirt)
meshuggah- bleed
these are some of the riffs that i think are killer!

All those Muse fans out there are you forgetting New Born?! Also Plug in Baby was the classic, not really one of my faves from them. I would agree with Hysteria though :)

Also it has to be Dream Theater, Overture 1928.

Deftones, My Own Summer.

And Dukes Intro by Genesis!

I LOVE the riff from "In The Name of God" by Dream Theater. Its like the main groove from the first two verses of the song before the huge instrumental part. Thats my fave riff ever. I also love the first riff from 'A Nightmare to Remember' also by DT off their new album, Black Clouds & Silver Linings

Immigrant Song - Led Zeppelin

Lady Evil - Black Sabbath

You Really Got Me - The Kinks

Pinball Wizard - The Who

Gimme Shelter - The Rolling Stones

Revolution - The Beatles

Symphony Of Destruction - Megadeth

non traditional:

the opening to william it was really nothing by the smiths
when the sun goes down by the arctic monkeys
the entirety of battles mirrored album
the faint's call call
kings of leon's king of the rodeo
death on the stairs by the libertines
bone machine by the pixies
radiohead's electioneering
so many more ha ha

and classic rock:
blue oyster cult - burning for you
boston's foreplay/longtime, more than a feeling, peace of mind

there are others, but they all seem kinda played out by now, or have been mentioned
i really dig the harmonized guitar lines they used to do back in the day

if i could get an indie rock band or a post rock band with some harmonized guitars... man i could die happy

Back