lets see some yamaha recording custom kits

Am I the only one who finds the excessive lug hardware on recording customs unsightly? It also seems like all that metal would choke the sound of the drum. Don't get me wrong, I like Yamaha stuff. I just don't understand the reason behind slapping so much metal onto high-end wooden drums.

I guess it's good for recording? Haha, my Stage Customs from the late 90s have that same connected lug design (the one in my profile picture). I don't mind it.

Here are a few shots of my kit that I snapped this morning. I have Evans G2 Clear over Black Resonant. I highly recommend this combo, it sounds absolutely amazing!

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    138.2 KB · Views: 5,600
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    132.5 KB · Views: 3,264
Am I the only one who finds the excessive lug hardware on recording customs unsightly? It also seems like all that metal would choke the sound of the drum. Don't get me wrong, I like Yamaha stuff. I just don't understand the reason behind slapping so much metal onto high-end wooden drums.

Agreed.

It's a personal taste thing, but they remind me of a marching snare drum.

Also, with the current way drum companies are trying to "sell" the idea of minimizing shell contact to achieve maximum sustain and tone, having large lugs seems to directly contradict this idea.

Last night I saw a big band and the drummer had a RC custom kit in an aqua finish. The drums looked amazing but they sounded like wet cardboard boxes. I couldn't see what heads he was using and it also sounded like they were tuned waaaay too low.

BTW, I'm a Yammie man myself, I'm not knocking RC drums.

Here's what I am playing right now: 20x14, 12x10 and 13x11.

I know the toms are close in size but I can get a LOT of tonal space between them - although I AM looking for a 10 and a 14 or 16 ( So if you are in the UK, hit me up if you want rid )
The snare is a Pacific maple with wood hoops, and it IS lovely, but I just sold it and and looking for a Steve Gadd maple or birch. There are a couple on ebay uk but a little pricey - we will see at the end of the week though :)

Cymbals are a mix of Sabian and Paiste and the hardware is a real mishmash. I used to use Signias and nothing else until I tried a Hire RC at a charity gig and fell in love: it's more controllable than the Signias and less "shouty" Much as I love the Signias the RCs have better manners and suit my current band's music that bit better.
I could play them all day. we recorded with them last week and that little 20 incher has SO much weight, it's perfect.

20160915_193238_zpsbhmtpdqj.jpg

Back