POLL: During what decade was the best music produced?

Well, all the music being produced today has been influenced by all the music in the past. It doesn't matter if it's pop, jazz or metal, in my opinion. But then again, the music being produced today will influence the music of the 2020's and 2030's and so on.

Personally, I'd say the '00's. Bands like Opeth, Tool, Isis, Truckfighters, Cult of Luna, etc. all influenced me so I feel like they're the best. But of course, I'm conflicted because I don't want to say that Lil' Wayne and Katy Perry are the best.

So...I'm just going to say all decades that human beings existed. Problem solved!

For me,it's tough to say since I listen to just about everything....with some exception.Most, but not all modern stuff just dosen't do it for me.I guess I'm a child of the 60's, 70's so those decades seem to have the most impact on my musical taste,except disco or R&B from that era.

I still listen to classical,swing,jazz,blues,Mowtown,soul,funk and country.

Steve B

For me,it's tough to say since I listen to just about everything....with some exception.Most, but not all modern stuff just dosen't do it for me.I guess I'm a child of the 60's, 70's so those decades seem to have the most impact on my musical taste,except disco or R&B from that era.

I still listen to classical,swing,jazz,blues,Mowtown,soul,funk and country.

Steve B

Whenever I take music quizes, I do great from the 1960s through the 1980s, then my knowledge fizzles out in the 1990s and beyond. :(

The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Cream, The Who, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Santana, Led Zeppelin, The Doors, Simon & Garfunkel, Genesis, Yes, Deep Purple, Jethro Tull, The Grateful Dead, Crosby-Stills-Nash & Young, Ten Years After, James Taylor, Buffalo Springfield, The Byrds, Van Morrison, Bob Dylan, Country Joe & The Fish, Jefferson Airplane, Black Sabbath, Free, Derek & The Dominos, Blind Faith, Traffic, Joni Mitchell, Richie Havens, John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, Fleetwood Mac, Donovan, Albert King, B.B. King, Buddy Guy, Sly & The Family Stone, Otis Redding, Aretha Franklin, Big Brother & The Holding Company, Janis Joplin, Kris Kristofferson, Leonard Cohen, Joe Cocker, Bert Jansch, Humble Pie, The Herd, The Nice, Stevie Wonder, James Brown, Marvin Gaye, Joan Baez, Canned Heat, The Soft Machine, Procol Harum, Pink Floyd...
Some of them started before, some of them blossomed at that time and some of them made their best work later but...you could hear ALL OF THIS PEOPLE in the 1966-1970 era. ¿Do I need to say more?

Whenever I take music quizes, I do great from the 1960s through the 1980s, then my knowledge fizzles out in the 1990s and beyond. :(

Exactly..............I probably couldn't name 20 bands from the mid nineties til now................guess I'm stuck in the past

proof I'm stuck in the 60s-80s, what is EDM?

I'm right there with you but I'm going to guess Electronic Dance Music? If that's it then, yeah...but no thanks!

The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Cream, The Who, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Santana, Led Zeppelin, The Doors, Simon & Garfunkel, Genesis, Yes, Deep Purple, Jethro Tull, The Grateful Dead, Crosby-Stills-Nash & Young, Ten Years After, James Taylor, Buffalo Springfield, The Byrds, Van Morrison, Bob Dylan, Country Joe & The Fish, Jefferson Airplane, Black Sabbath, Free, Derek & The Dominos, Blind Faith, Traffic, Joni Mitchell, Richie Havens, John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, Fleetwood Mac, Donovan, Albert King, B.B. King, Buddy Guy, Sly & The Family Stone, Otis Redding, Aretha Franklin, Big Brother & The Holding Company, Janis Joplin, Kris Kristofferson, Leonard Cohen, Joe Cocker, Bert Jansch, Humble Pie, The Herd, The Nice, Stevie Wonder, James Brown, Marvin Gaye, Joan Baez, Canned Heat, The Soft Machine, Procol Harum, Pink Floyd...
Some of them started before, some of them blossomed at that time and some of them made their best work later but...you could hear ALL OF THIS PEOPLE in the 1966-1970 era. ¿Do I need to say more?

Say - Moody Blues.

The best decade for music was the decade in which the best drummer in the world recorded.

Hits microwave and fridge, then Lazyboy.

Last edited:
Decades when the best music was produced?
1730's-50's.. 1780's...... 1880's....1900-1950? Then rock comes in and the standard of writing goes way down for a bit with some bright spots here and there. gonna go with 1911-1960 as the time when the best American pop music was written. Jerome Kern,Irving Berlin,George Gershwin et al...yeah...... second half of the 20th century wasnt nearly as good musically as the first.

Back