I need invincible headphones!

Migaluch

Recently my 10th pair of headphones has broken and my parents have gone over the edge with buying me headphones after they break. I too, am tired of my headphones going out and i am in desperate need of headphones that wont break with normal use. Anyone have any suggestions? Price is probably not an issue if my parents know these will be the last pair they have to buy. Thanks!

BTW, what do you guys think of the Beats by Dr. Dre over ear headphones. I tried them on at an Apple store and they were the best sound i have ever heard, but at $300 they are a tad expensive...

What kind of headphones are we talking about?
Listening to i-pods? reference headphones? stage headphones?
in ear headphones? closed back? open back?

how much are you willing to spend?

For semi-invincible, yet reasonably priced, check out those Vic Firth headphones (you see 'em at Guitar Center). Good sound isolation for playing. I swear by my Ultraphones by GK Music, but those are expensive ($300 when I bought mine).

For general critical listening, the Sony MDR-7506 is a best bet. We use those everywhere at Disneyland for listening and those are the cleanest I've ever owned (the insides of my Ultraphones are the same parts, too).

If you want in-ear earbuds, look at the Shure SE115 clears, good isolation and very sturdy compared to other buds. But also, like the Sony's, cost around $100. The really sturdy Shure in-ears would be something like their old (now discontinued) E2c or SCL2 ear buds. If you can find those, the price just goes up.

I don't know what you've been using, but if you've been buying new phones all the time because you're breaking them, either they are too cheap and you need to spend the right amount, or you're too tough on them and need to exercise more caution. Good luck!

I use Beyerdynamic DT-100 Studio Headphones for er... Just about everything... recording my little studio, when I used to host a radio show, working on post-production, and on my electronic kit etc.

Expensive but there's a reason they can be found in recording studios all over the world. Great sound reproduction, great isolation, virtually indestructible and every bit is available as a replacement part.

Not too good for the iPod tho :D

Yeah i need headphones for iPod listening, but i only buy in ear headphones because i like the sound isolation for drumset playing. I have been using basic Sony headphones since i got my iPod, but the ears always seem to stop working. Recently i was using a pair of skullcandys, and they lasted me about 3 weeks.

ill check out some of your guys suggestions. :D

Sorry for asking the obvious question - but what in the heck are _you_ doing that's killing your gear?

You do realize that with any headphones (as well as earbuds amd in-ears) you need to handle them by the earpieces not just yank them around by the cord, right?

Most headphones that cost more than $10 can last for years - not weeks.

But to answer your question - there is no such thing as invincible headphones - as they all have cords which are always susceptible to mistreatment - including ALL of the nice beefy sounding and constructed models folks have recommended earlier in the thread.

David

if your blowing them, try turning and gain, bass, treble or any EQ off. heavy bass can cause a clipped signal, which will kill a speaker ( which is essentially as a headphone is) if yous killing them that often then this is the reason id say.

Back