Neil Peart's Drum Sets

Re: Neil Peart's Drum Set's

I'll take the one I can get the most money for!!! That guy must have extremely long arms and obviously be a contourtionists!!!!! How the hell do these guys utilize all that gear. I understand the "show" aspect of rock n roll concerts but every drummer knows thats just over kill and theres no need for a pop drummer to set that stuff up other than a visual effect. I just recently had a friend send me a clip of Mr. Peart playing jazz on a 5 piece set and he was very solid and very thorough. I just looked at a Rush video with one of those over kill set ups and honestly hes less proficient and who wouldn't be hahahaha!!! Decisions Decisions what the hell to hit next, if I roll down to the right to fast I just might fall out of this set up.........oh well its just not me but I am happy he doesn't destroy anything at the end of the shows......................he doesn't does he?????? Doc

I'll take the one I can get the most money for!!! That guy must have extremely long arms and obviously be a contourtionists!!!!! How the hell do these guys utilize all that gear. I understand the "show" aspect of rock n roll concerts but every drummer knows thats just over kill and theres no need for a pop drummer to set that stuff up other than a visual effect. I just recently had a friend send me a clip of Mr. Peart playing jazz on a 5 piece set and he was very solid and very thorough. I just looked at a Rush video with one of those over kill set ups and honestly hes less proficient and who wouldn't be hahahaha!!! Decisions Decisions what the hell to hit next, if I roll down to the right to fast I just might fall out of this set up.........oh well its just not me but I am happy he doesn't destroy anything at the end of the shows......................he doesn't does he?????? Doc
No Doc, he doesn't. He is more mature than that. When you are good you don't have to break things to be noticed. Believe me he uses it all and has lots of fun doing it. :)

I personally like Neil's drum sound more on those older recordings as well...
Me too. Not a big fan of his DW sound at all. Maybe I could send him a picture, and sound sample of mine and get him a new sponsor. :)

great thread,

I have the superstar floating on the lake store banner hanging in my studio.

I would have to pick the superstars, for me that is the quintessential Peart kit.

the DWs are worth more though ;-)
Only in dollar value.

Karl mentioned the wood-finished Tama kit that came after the Slingerlands. I have to say, I LOVED the concert tom sound he got out of that kit! They were tuned really high and had just the right blend of brightness and woody tone (listen to the solo on Exit Stage Left).

I like the look of that candy-apple red Tama, too, but I never liked the sound as well. Whether studio or live recording, they always sounded a bit sterile or something to me.

For overall kit sound, my ear loves the red DW kit on Test for Echo, too. But I miss the small concert toms.

I've always been partial the cherry red Tama Artstar prototype kit.

Although it was several years before I realized the Mahaogany finish Tama Superstars were actually a different red kit, given back in 81/82 my only reference point was when ever MTV would play a Rush video, and on the Exist Stage Left videos, there so many red lights on stage, it made it difficult to differentiate the two.

And Neil was playing the cherry red artstar protoype kit the 1st time I saw Rush live, on the Power Windows tour.

Although I admit the R30 anniversary kit is a close 2nd. I was surprised he retired that one.

I'd like them better if they were Ludwigs. Nice fanboy thread.

HYFtourkit1.jpg

PRESTOtourkit.jpg

rush-discography-19742008-6.gif

The Pink-ish white and Purple kits Ludwigs were actually the same drum set. Neil had the pink-white kit re-finished in purple.

Neil then went to a blue Ludwig kit when he switched to a single bass drum kit.

My choice would begin single bass drum Blue Ludwig kit with the gold lugs and hoops that he used on Roll the Bones.Runner up would be his Blackchrome Slingerlands.

My least favorite is the snakes and arrows kit, I find that just hideous.

One of my local drum builders - had a couple of Neil’s kits ( Blue Ludwig Roll the Bones kit and the Plum/Purple coloured kit he used with the Buddy Rich band ) . The Blue Roll the Bones kit had all the gold plated hardware with it and was up for sale ( since sold for huge dough). I believe he is keeping the Plum/Purple kit .

Last edited:

My choice would begin single bass drum Blue Ludwig kit with the gold lugs and hoops that he used on Roll the Bones.Runner up would be his Blackchrome Slingerlands.

My least favorite is the snacks and arrows kit, I find that just hideous.
I agree on the snakes and arrows kit. I had a chance to buy the replica snare and just couldn't do it because of the color.

My least favorite is the snacks and arrows kit, I find that just hideous.
Sorry I missed that one.
neil_d13.jpg

I really like that one also.

That one and snakes and arrow I just find ugly. Too busy for my taste with all the graphics . The R30 kit the logos blended a little better.

This one I actually like because, even though it is busy, it really does a great job of capturing the steampunk look - a case in which more is better! IMO

Well, Neil always had flashy drumkits, but from a cosmetic point of view, I prefer the double bass kits, they feel like I could play on them, not like the current ones.

Back