Seeking lightweight quality pedal with ...

Well I never!!.....Where Pol, where?? I'm yet to see a Trick pedal in Oz (I'm sure they're out there......somewhere, but a lazy bugger like me has never sought one out. If it ain't on the shelf at Billy Allens [like it btw] or Drumtek, I'm bound to miss it).

Bermuda took me on stage a few hours before the gig and invited this substandard stick-wielder to sit at his kit (he really is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet). He had a Trick pedal and it was love at first tap ... something like Unfunkyfooted's response.

Will have to see which online shops will cater for us boondockians.

It's a funny thing. I've been going through a real head trip since trying the Trick. On one hand I figure that Papa Jo and the old jazz wizards did all their marvellous stuff using basic pedals so there's no reason why it shouldn't be possible for me to at least be okay-ish with my Dixon.

On the other hand, I've never felt confident with kick drum playing and lately had a real crisis of confidence with my right foot and I could do with all the help I can get. The last time I really felt comfortable and confident with a kick was last year at Hyde's (extensively) trying out the TD20 and that mesh head forgave all my "sins" (ALOT of them, anyway).

The Trick pedal on Bermuda's kit felt something like that to me ... except that his Buttkicker scared me half to death and I got off the kit pronto after a few tentative taps - lol

Thanks for the pics and info, Denis. That's the one ... smoooth!

Well I never!!.....Where Pol, where?? I'm yet to see a Trick pedal in Oz (I'm sure they're out there......somewhere, but a lazy bugger like me has never sought one out. If it ain't on the shelf at Billy Allens [like it btw] or Drumtek, I'm bound to miss it).

Yeah, the Yanks will ship here.....they love us remember. They find us "quirky" and "somewhat backward", yet are still mildly amused by our nature.........much like a developmentally challenged "little brother". :)
There's heaps of online stores that are shipping to Oz now. Musicians Friend have just joined the ranks too, I note. There's a guy who used to be a member here called JustDrums (Shane)......he told me once in a post that he dealt into Oz often and made a point of noting his reasonable rates.

I'm pretty sure that Drum Power out in Bayswater have them... although it might be a bit out of your way, not sure where you are in Melbourne? They're about ten minutes from my place. Then again, I've not been to Drumtek yet, so...

I'm thinking that US prices are usually heaps cheaper than out here and it would be cheaper to buy a Trick pedal from a US retailer than the handful of Oz retailers who may stock them. As it is, Guitar Factor never got back to me.

Can anyone recommend a good US online retailer who stocks Trick single pedals and would deal with the unwashed masses downunder?

I bought mine from Dales Drum Shop in PA, USA, but I don't know how far they ship.

Dennis

I'm thinking that US prices are usually heaps cheaper than out here and it would be cheaper to buy a Trick pedal from a US retailer than the handful of Oz retailers who may stock them. As it is, Guitar Factor never got back to me.

Can anyone recommend a good US online retailer who stocks Trick single pedals and would deal with the unwashed masses downunder?

check your inbox.

PFOG, take note of the link!

These guys will probably be cheaper there than in Oz shops now that our dollar has moved beyond parity (apologies to our balance of trade figures) - even with the $60-something shipping.

PFOG, take note of the link!

These guys will probably be cheaper there than in Oz shops now that our dollar has moved beyond parity (apologies to our balance of trade figures) - even with the $60-something shipping.

Ah but Pol.......you're not paying attention. As posted by yours truely back in post 58:

There's heaps of online stores that are shipping to Oz now. Musicians Friend have just joined the ranks too, I note. :)

Unfortunately, they still don't stock Brady!! The only thing I truely need (read; want, desire, covet.....anything but need) is a 14x6.5 Jarrah block Brady. Get that on board and this happy camper will never need for anything save for heads and sticks again.

Unfortunately, they still don't stock Brady!! The only thing I truely need (read; want, desire, covet.....anything but need) is a 14x6.5 Jarrah block Brady. Get that on board and this happy camper will never need for anything save for heads and sticks again.

hey pfog, http://www.facebook.com/redrockdrums?ref=ts this guy makes custom block snare drums, out of jarrah and 1 other kind of wood. you should check him out too. pricey though ($800~ iirc for a 14x6.5)

Hi Unfunky

Here's the Trick pedal update. I'd found a setting that I like - not all that far from the preset, just a bit looser. It gives total control over pedal angle and internal spring tension.

Still getting to know it and get my (unfunky) right foot happening but it's a big improvement. I was thinking of changing from my Vintage Bomber beater to a standard felt beater but the only thing in the shop was a DW.

I'd read in a review that the hole for the beater in the Trick fits any beater. Not true. Just spent $50 on the DW felt beater and it's too big for the hole :( I bought a file and sandpaper and will see if I can whittle it down a bit. The felt is harder than my old Speed King too, which isn't ideal for me.

Polly, I really thought I was the only one using the Vater Vintage Bomber. I've had mine for well over a year and I love it - works with all my bass drums (a 16" and 2 different 22"s). Do you run your bass drums wide open? That's the best solution for the sound I want with the beater.

Theoretically I want the kick unmuffled - since it's a 16" I'm trying to get some body in the sound and the bomber helps that (though I'm failing, as per the posting on Mr Snuts's Wiki thread). The bomber Is also more forviving for a leadfoot in quiet music, a legacy of my rock days.

However, an open, less defined sound can get a bit messy with our bassist's tones (who isn't always the cleanest player and the challenge for all bassists is to get the unused strongs to shut up). So I've had to do some muffling. Also physically, I think I function better with the feel of a felt beater and now that I'm used to playing quietly i think I can play one without being disruptive (famous last words).

I am sure many people have already said it, but the Ludwig Speed King! It one of the most basic pedals, theres not much to them, just a frame and such, but they are one of the most popular pedals ever. They dont use a spring, so they are supposed to be easier to hit fast with. And they are very smooth. I tried one and at first it was wierd, the mallet went way back, and it felt like a gas pedal of a car, the angle was deeper than most pedals, thus you had to push further with your foot, but was it ever smooth! THey run for about 150 bucks.

Back