Show your wood

I love the compressed solid maple on my DW Collectors Super Solid 5.5x14 snare!

Attachments

• dw super solid outside.jpg
    dw super solid outside.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 1,756
  • dw supersolid bottom.jpg
    dw supersolid bottom.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 1,716
Thanks Andy, yes that Bloodwood can make me sound like Stewart Copeland. Has a strange characteristic, I installed the heads and there was no low - mid tuning, it went from nothing to high end instantly, very weird. I am liking the simple softer woods for sound. It is fun to build with exotics, but nothing beats the Elm, or Walnut for nice tone. Because of this I am venturing into exotic wood veneer. Will be a learning curve, but I want the look of exotic but the sound of simple, if that makes sense.

I want the look of exotic but the sound of simple, if that makes sense.
Makes a lot of sense to me :) I even advise on our website that just because it's exotic or expensive, doesn't mean it necessarily makes for a good drum. For example, we build our classic range from English ash. In woody terms, a fairly humble species, but it has exactly the characteristics we seek for that range. Same with padauk. Ok, a slightly more "exotic" wood, but still not "right up there" in terms of price. Again, padauk delivers precisely the characteristics we're looking for. In both cases, the wood species also works well aligned to the particular shell construction method.

There are exotics that really work however. Woods that deliver a very useable "certain something" beyond their status & aesthetic. I'd put some rosewoods, cocobolo, ebony, purpleheart, satinwood, ovangkol, & a fair few others on that list. If you're going the veneer route however, it's really only aesthetic, availability, & stability that matter, & that opens up a whole world of choice, + economical too. By comparison to the equivalent in solid board, veneers are very cheap, even for the really expensive exotics.

I've lost count of the number of "exotic" drums (almost always snares) that sound like crap. Either because the builder has made little reference to the wood's qualities when deciding on construction, or the wood itself is just not a great tonewood. I've seen a lot of so called "purewood" ply drums that have utilised "exotics" too, & that's just plain wasting money right there. Bragging rights has a lot to answer for in the world of drum building crimes ;) ;) ;)

My real wish is that purpleheart wasn't purple. Stupid wish, I know, but it's colour really limits it's appeal. If you love maple, you"ll luuurrv purpleheart. Sonically, it sounds like maple, but on steroids, then throws a "I'm more maple than you" party just to push the point even further! Absolute bastard to steam bend though :)

Thanks Andy, yes that Bloodwood can make me sound like Stewart Copeland. Has a strange characteristic, I installed the heads and there was no low - mid tuning, it went from nothing to high end instantly, very weird. I am liking the simple softer woods for sound. It is fun to build with exotics, but nothing beats the Elm, or Walnut for nice tone. Because of this I am venturing into exotic wood veneer. Will be a learning curve, but I want the look of exotic but the sound of simple, if that makes sense.

It would be fascinating to see a stave drum with a veneer. Stave is so rare that no one can yet get past its nature - any stave drum must show its staves, the more flamboyantly, the better. That drives use of exotic and incredible looking woods, but limits offerings. How about plain-jane woods that impart great sound, but maybe don't look so dramatic? Why don't any of those go into stave drums? It's ultimately supposed to be about the sound, isn't it?

Don't get me wrong, I like ultrahard woods. I have an entire set of solid shell Cooktown ironwood - one of the few woods that sinks in water and they could survive a house fire. But I was jamming with some people on my mahogany congas (that's a rarity right there) and they remarked how sweet and gentle they sounded. So I am starting to think about softer woods and what they do for drums.

I look forward to seeing stave drums with veneers or *gasp* wraps. To my knowledge, no one has ever wrapped a stave drum, but it would certainly show that staves are becoming less freaky and exotic and more like any other drum, with a similarly wide range of sounds and materials.

I look forward to seeing stave drums with veneers or *gasp* wraps. To my knowledge, no one has ever wrapped a stave drum, but it would certainly show that staves are becoming less freaky and exotic and more like any other drum, with a similarly wide range of sounds and materials.

Part of the problem and reason you haven't seen it is because the wood moves, making it nearly impossible to put a wrap or veneer on it for fear of it cracking....

Part of the problem and reason you haven't seen it is because the wood moves, making it nearly impossible to put a wrap or veneer on it for fear of it cracking....

So the shell expands and contracts? even in a stave shell? Or do the shell just settle under the pressure of the heads and hardware? I'm thinking about veneering a stave shell, that's why I ask

So the shell expands and contracts? even in a stave shell? Or do the shell just settle under the pressure of the heads and hardware? I'm thinking about veneering a stave shell, that's why I ask

It shouldn't be a huge issue given that the moisture content is well-controlled in the construction process. Any change in humidity and temperature would have more probability of expanding or contracting a stave shell compared to a ply shell, though. A ply shell is barely wood any more after manufacturing, whereas a stave shell is much less processed.

It shouldn't be a huge issue given that the moisture content is well-controlled in the construction process. Any change in humidity and temperature would have more probability of expanding or contracting a stave shell compared to a ply shell, though. A ply shell is barely wood any more after manufacturing, whereas a stave shell is much less processed.

I agree, a stave shell is going to expand and contract more than a ply shell but come on, it can't be that much! Any amount of contraction enough to dislodge a wrap would probably lead the shell to come apart. Hell, even ply shells delaminate over time. I would think painting could possibly be off-limits, though.

People are still taken with the seeming novelty of stave. When things settle down, people will start wrapping and veneering stave shells like any others. That will open up new possibilities for stave construction, leading people to use woods perhaps not so visually dramatic, but more prized for their sonic qualities.

Here's one that I made for a local drum shop. It's a 14x6.5x5/16" thick blood wood with wenge keys and a beer tap throw with an African blackwood cap. Hand rubbed oil for the finish- that's it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 1,787
Last edited:
I made a stave shell by myself some years ago, and yes, they do expand significantly, especially when they are stored in a humid basement for example.. I ended up with a completely different sound, lol

I put some wax on the inside, it helps a bit and seems to retard the process where the wood is absorbing the moisture.

Stave builder, your snares look great! I am pretty sure they even sound like they look.

Here's one that I made for a local drum shop. It's a 14x6.5x5/16" thick blood wood with wenge keys and a beer tap throw with an African blackwood cap. Hand rubbed oil for the finish- that's it.
Oooh- expensive, & heavy :) I love the honesty of the finish, as it proudly displays the obvious skill that went into this drum. Blackwood tension knob is a nice touch too.

Oooh- expensive, & heavy :) I love the honesty of the finish, as it proudly displays the obvious skill that went into this drum. Blackwood tension knob is a nice touch too.

Thanks, KIS. I am very happy with this finish, too. It's very thin and close-to-the-wood, almost as if there is no finish, but it is smooth and soft and had quite a high quality feel about it. I will surely be using this finishing process again.

I made a stave shell by myself some years ago, and yes, they do expand significantly, especially when they are stored in a humid basement for example.. I ended up with a completely different sound, lol

I put some wax on the inside, it helps a bit and seems to retard the process where the wood is absorbing the moisture.

Stave builder, your snares look great! I am pretty sure they even sound like they look.

Interesting, I had no idea stave expanded so much. I think regular applications of linseed oil or Watco could preserve the wood by displacing water and eliminating moisture-related swelling. On the other hand, I wonder what effect those oils have on the glue.

Interesting, I had no idea stave expanded so much. I think regular applications of linseed oil or Watco could preserve the wood by displacing water and eliminating moisture-related swelling. On the other hand, I wonder what effect those oils have on the glue.
No affect on glue bonds. Once those bonds are made, nothing's getting in there. Accurate machining is the key to a good stave construction.

Stave doesn't swell any more than any other non ply wood shell (steam bent, segmented, hollow log).

Here is a stave shell snare I drilled and assembled. I got the shell from Fierce Drum Co. (http://www.fiercedrumco.com) and hardware from Ego and Precision. The shell is 14x6.5 Padauk with maple re-rings... Yes, the wood is really that red. Only a clear protective coat applied. Truly unique intense sound...
Padauk5.jpg
Padauk6.jpg
DSCN1031.JPG
DSCN1032.JPG
Andy, I'm sure it's no Guru, but it'll have to do for now!

Yes, the wood is really that red. Only a clear protective coat applied. Truly unique intense sound...

Don't put yourself or your drum down man, that looks beautiful!!! I love the colour of padauk, & I love the colour it ages to too. You'll find it will go gradually more brown over the years, but still retain that "burnt" glow.

As for sound, there's a reason we chose padauk for our Performance range Origin series drums ;) No one here knows this yet, but we've also chosen Padauk for our new series stave snares, so "chosen well have you, young Skywalker" :)

Treated in the right way, it's one of the kings of tonewoods for me, & it's character is suited perfectly to stave construction, or the other way around :) Either way, it's just a heady combination of punch, bite, & articulation, but with multiple flavours lurking underneath. Padauk likes to work :) :) :)

Only slight negative I can see is what appears to be minor lug splay, but that may just be the photo. In close up photo's with a standard point & shoot lens, it sometimes happens.

If I may make one suggestion, if you get the chance at some stage, try it with "S" hoops. IMHO, they go together beautifully.

Huge enjoyment is coming your way for sure. Nice job man, nice job!

Here is a stave shell snare I drilled and assembled. I got the shell from Fierce Drum Co. (http://www.fiercedrumco.com) and hardware from Ego and Precision. The shell is 14x6.5 Padauk with maple re-rings... Yes, the wood is really that red. Only a clear protective coat applied. Truly unique intense sound...

Wow! Intense color, totally natural. Love it and good job on the finishing and assembly. If I may ask, what did the raw shell cost, how much for hardware, etc.? I have been thinking of doing something like this.

Also, what brand is the throwoff? I have one exactly the same I got on Craigslist and I love it, but there's no marking. Kind of like a Trick and infinitely adjustable.

Only slight negative I can see is what appears to be minor lug splay, but that may just be the photo. In close up photo's with a standard point & shoot lens, it sometimes happens.

If I may make one suggestion, if you get the chance at some stage, try it with "S" hoops. IMHO, they go together beautifully.

Thanks man. You're right, there may be a minor lug splay. Even in person, it's so slight that I'm still not sure! haha

How would you say the S hoop would act as opposed to the 2.3 triple flange?

Wow! Intense color, totally natural. Love it and good job on the finishing and assembly. If I may ask, what did the raw shell cost, how much for hardware, etc.? I have been thinking of doing something like this.

Also, what brand is the throwoff? I have one exactly the same I got on Craigslist and I love it, but there's no marking. Kind of like a Trick and infinitely adjustable.

Thank you. I believe this shell was $230 shipped. Just contact Josh. Really good prices and build quality. He added the re-rings at no cost. I believe he has shells on ebay all the time too.

Concerning the throw-off, I believe it's just Ego Drum Supply brand. It's a great throwoff, as you said, because it holds its tension in any position.

Edit: I found Josh's ebay store here. It looks like the shells are cheaper than I thought. He also offers custom builds and layout/drilling. Great option for a DIY project.

Last edited:
Thanks man. You're right, there may be a minor lug splay. Even in person, it's so slight that I'm still not sure! haha

If the lug splay is so slight that you're undecided whether it's there or not, then it's nothing to worry about. There's quite a bit of play in the holes on most triple flange hoops, & just that alone can cause the tension screw to wander outwards slightly.

As for "S" hoops, we just find they work especially well on stave drums, & certainly padauk stave :) They will give you a slightly more focused sound compared to triple flange, a little more control of ring near the rim, & greater tuning accuracy. Think in terms of heading towards the sound difference you get between triple flange & die cast, but much nearer the triple flange end of the spectrum. There's something that's just a bit "cleaner" about the sound, & sympathetic to a stave shell character.

Thank you. I believe this shell was $230 shipped. Just contact Josh. Really good prices and build quality. He added the re-rings at no cost. I believe he has shells on ebay all the time too.

Concerning the throw-off, I believe it's just Ego Drum Supply brand. It's a great throwoff, as you said, because it holds its tension in any position.

Edit: I found Josh's ebay store here. It looks like the shells are cheaper than I thought. He also offers custom builds and layout/drilling. Great option for a DIY project.

Yes, the Ego is similar to the Trick throwoff.

That's a decent price for a stave shell. Great workmanship isn't free.

Back