Drum Instruction DVD & Book Reviews

NAME:
Unburying the Beater, by Matt Ritter

STAR RATING:
# # # # #

WORDED RATING:

An exceptional instructional DVD that doesn't repeat what's already out there. And even though it's been out for a few years, it's still fresh. A unique approach to bass drum technique that will at least make you think seriously about your own playing

TARGET AUDIENCE:

All drummers: for beginners to establish a strong foundation of bass drum play, all the way up to advanced, for those who want to add a new 'tool' to the toolbox. Also for those who are frustrated with their bass drum play, and drumming in general

PUBLISHED BY:

UnburyingtheBeater.com

DESCRIPTION:

One of my favorite drum instruction videos, Matt Ritter explains very logically how his "Unburying the Beater" approach to bass drum play can significantly improve your overall drumming, not just the bass drum. I've written a full review of the DVD, which you can read at your leisure. A must have!

NAME:
Unburying the Beater, by Matt Ritter

STAR RATING:
# # # # #

WORDED RATING:

An exceptional instructional DVD that doesn't repeat what's already out there. And even though it's been out for a few years, it's still fresh. A unique approach to bass drum technique that will at least make you think seriously about your own playing

TARGET AUDIENCE:

All drummers: for beginners to establish a strong foundation of bass drum play, all the way up to advanced, for those who want to add a new 'tool' to the toolbox. Also for those who are frustrated with their bass drum play, and drumming in general

PUBLISHED BY:

UnburyingtheBeater.com

DESCRIPTION:

One of my favorite drum instruction videos, Matt Ritter explains very logically how his "Unburying the Beater" approach to bass drum play can significantly improve your overall drumming, not just the bass drum. I've written a full review of the DVD, which you can read at your leisure. A must have!

Thanks for this review! I've been thinking if this DVD is worth. Now I'll get one. Thanks!

NAME:
Secret Weapons for the Modern Drummer - by JoJo Mayer

STAR RATING:
# # # # # (#)

WORDED RATING:
I took a quick look and didn't find anyone who has reviewed this DVD, so I figured I would correct this. I give this DVD an optional 6th star simply because it blew me away!

TARGET AUDIENCE:
All playing levels - Anyone looking to improve their hand technique.

PUBLISHED BY:
Hudson Limited

DESCRIPTION:
In this DVD, Mayer covers pretty much every good hand technique there is. Although this DVD is more encyclopedic than most others, Jojo really has a great way of explaining the techniques crisply and accurately. Plus the grooves he throws in really show off what's capable when you bust out the "secret weapons". Personally, I am just learning Moeller strokes (correctly this time around) but I know that there is so much more to cover. I can't wait to get to the push-pull, and one handed roll! Jojo is a phenomenal drummer and I have gained much from his instruction with this DVD.

DITTO....!!!!!

Just got this today and man can that guy play! 3hrs of good solid technique that is all explained VERY well. After viewing this vid I don't know whether to quit or push on.....lol
There's a LOT that a beginner like me can use and I'll have the vid when I progress to tackling the harder stuff. GREAT vid........imho

Is this book out of print?

The Technique and Mechanics of Rudimental Snare Drumming by Ken Mazur;
not sure if it is actually called The Technique and Mechanics of Competitive Rudimental Snare Drumming

I cannot find it anywhere online for sale (including the bay of E) and I cannot find a copy in the Toronto public library catalogue...

Tried checking University of Toronto Library as well...no such luck. Does anyone know of any good second hand music book shops online?

Ultimate Paradiddle Workout Video Series

Amaze Your Family, Friends, and
PRO Drummers alike with these Rarely Performed (or Seen) Drum Licks...

* Achieve TOTAL Balance of Your Limbs (4-limb Independence and Coordination)
* Master ALL movements around Your Drum Kit providing the ability to play ANY Drum Fill or Solo - TOTAL Flexibility
* Eliminate ALL Drumming Challenges - You will be able to say "What Weakness?"
* After accomplishing These Exercises You will KNOW that ALL other Drumming has Become Easy!
* Create a Mind-Body Connection that allows you to Simply THINK what You want to Play, and Your Body will INSTANTLY perform the Drumming!

Motivic drumset soloing.
Author. Terry O'Mahoney.

Recently I have begun using this book in order to teach students how to build creative solos based on ideas such as phrases played and built upon, call and response, logical construction etc etc. The above book has been useful in helping my endeavors.

The book is not for the basic beginner. I'd recommend at least a full 2 years of instruction or more before presenting it to the new drumset student. Intermediate drummers will benefit from this book having developed a degree of technical ability but unsure how to put it to use in solo form. More advanced working drummers may also find this text useful.

Although O'Mahoney plays the ideas on the CD in a jazz context, this should not limit the text to this or any one style. For example, rock drummers can use this text without any problem.

I highly recommend this book.

Possibly the easiest way for me to describe the contents is simply to list the contents chapter by chapter.

Chapter 1. Motivic development concepts.
1. Rhythmic motives.
2. Repetition.
3. Sequence.
4. Fragmentation.
5. Extension.
6. Augmentation.
7. Diminution.
8. Retrogade.
9. Inversion.
10. Embellishment.
11. Simplification.
12. Rhythmic displacement.
13. Summary.

Chapter 2. Musical concepts.
1. Orchestrate the melody.
2. Through-Composed solos vs. Motivic development.
3. Filler material.
4. Rolls.
5. Special effects.
6. Soloing over ostinato patterns.
7. Call and response.
8. Quoting.
9. Musical landmarks.
10. Odd groupings.
11. Polyrhythms.
12. Double time feel.
13. Varying rhythmic density.
14. Soloing in odd time signatures, (3/4, 5/4, 7/4)
15. Pick ups.
16. Ending solos.
17. Soloing over long musical forms.
18. Maintaining place in a song form.
19. Time solos vs. Outright solos.

Chapter 3. Additional concepts.
1. Abstract concepts/ideas.
2. Analyzing solos.
3. Sample drum solos.

Discography of motivic solos.

Does anyone have Keith Carlock's dvd 'The Big Picture'? I'm a fan of his playing and am thinking of getting it.

Also, Jojo's secret weapons was the greatest drumming video I have ever seen. It seriously added a whole new level to my playing and watching him play is seriously inspiring. Thanks Jojo!

Hello all.
I am new to this site, and drumming as well.

I have a couple questions that have to do with vids for beginners.
1. As a beginner, is it better to have an instructer as opposed to learning from vids so as not to develop bad
technique?
2. Is 41 too old to start playing drums?
3. Is Jojos secret weapons, and Pat Petrillos hands/grooves/fills really for true beginners?

Hello all.
I am new to this site, and drumming as well.

I have a couple questions that have to do with vids for beginners.
1. As a beginner, is it better to have an instructer as opposed to learning from vids so as not to develop bad
technique?
2. Is 41 too old to start playing drums?
3. Is Jojos secret weapons, and Pat Petrillos hands/grooves/fills really for true beginners?

1. Yes

2. No

3. Can't vouch for Petrillo's work, but it would be better to use Jojo Mayer's DVD under the guidance of a teacher, it goes into a lot of technical detail

If you can't get a teacher, try 'Getting started on drums' by Tommy Igoe, he's an excellent instructor.

1. Yes

2. No

3. Can't vouch for Petrillo's work, but it would be better to use Jojo Mayer's DVD under the guidance of a teacher, it goes into a lot of technical detail

If you can't get a teacher, try 'Getting started on drums' by Tommy Igoe, he's an excellent instructor.

Thanks Jonescrusher.
I purchased the T. Igoe, and was looking for the next step.
Thanks again.

Thanks Jonescrusher.
I purchased the T. Igoe, and was looking for the next step.
Thanks again.

Hi Thor,

I'm a beginner and have working from Petrillo's Hands, Grooves, and Fills and Igoe's Great Hands for a Lifetime and have gotten a lot from both. I would definitely recommend them.

Scott

NAME:
Learn and Master Drums

STAR RATING:
# # # # #

WORDED RATING:
A thorough, well thought-out complete drumming instruction course covering everything an aspiring drummer needs to get started playing drums; also for intermediate players wanting to hone certain skills

TARGET AUDIENCE:
Mostly for beginners, and to a lesser extent intermediate players but they certainly will also benefit; not so much for advanced players except to glean ideas from a fellow pro

PUBLISHED BY:
Legacy Learning Systems

DESCRIPTION:
I found this to be a great course, especially for the beginner, to hit the ground running as far as learning to play the drums. Instructor Dann Sherrill is a very patient and kind teacher interested in the student having fun while gaining the skills necessary to make drumming fun, with a solid foundation. In addition to teaching the basics, Mr. Sherrill shows how to use the newly acquired skills to play different genres of music, and what you need to know to play in a band setting.

Please read the complete review and see if it's for you! A very well put together program worth serious consideration.

I bought the Seth Davis DVD called the Moeller Killer. My advice: Save your money. For $60.00 you get a little stapled brochure of exercises and on the DVD you get about 2 min. of "instruction" followed by about 30 min. of watching him play the exercises in the brochure.
Granted, he has amazing hands, but when you look at the quality of JoJo's DVD or others that focus on technique, in my opinion, this DVD leaves you wishing you saved your money.

Hi Thor,

I'm a beginner and have working from Petrillo's Hands, Grooves, and Fills and Igoe's Great Hands for a Lifetime and have gotten a lot from both. I would definitely recommend them.

Scott

I strongly endorse Tommy Igoe's Great Hands DVD. I like it just for the fact that he encourages drummers to jam with each other on practice pads. Grab a friend and do a few bars of Stick Control! Develop your hands AND your ears! Four hands are better than two!

Is this book out of print?

The Technique and Mechanics of Rudimental Snare Drumming by Ken Mazur;
not sure if it is actually called The Technique and Mechanics of Competitive Rudimental Snare Drumming

I cannot find it anywhere online for sale (including the bay of E) and I cannot find a copy in the Toronto public library catalogue...

Try this link and see if this takes you anywhere.

http://www.rudimentaldrumming.com/rudrev.html

I found it on a wbsite called www.rudimentaldrumming.com. The page I looked at says the book is back in print but obviously I don't know how up to date the page or even the site itself is.

Let me know how you get on.

Al " I cannot stand the sound of bagpipes" from Scotland

Hello drummers!What do you think about dvd and book MUSICAL TIME by Ed Soph.It is interesting how he shows body motions,for playing drums and cymbals.I tried his system on jazz gig last saturday,and results was fantastic.I locked groove with contrabass player,and whole band was very happy.Listeners was happy too.But his system is based on Fred Hinger technique,great tympanist,who teach Ed,Glen Velez,Billy Ward...etc.Cymbal playing is different,because he is waiting with upstroke(he play first note of triplet,rebound one inch on second triplet note and pause and on third triplet note he move stick up,when play quarter note.On the snare too;bass drum is also coordinated with,too).Other drummers,including me was trained in Morello,Riley etc.technique,where stick rebound as fast as posiblle,on first note of triplet,when play quarter note.What is difference for you?

Back