Canopus Lightweight hardware/ Gibraltar/ Dw

slingerlandfreak

Hello everybody.
I am pretty tired from carrying heavy hardware to gigs and back.
I want to buy whole new lightweight hardware set but i want to read your experience and advices with these 3 manufacturers with their lightweight flat base hardware.

Canopus: http://www.maxwelldrums.com/hardware-canopus-c-189_193.html

Gibraltar: http://www.music123.com/Search/Default.aspx?internal=1&src=gibraltar+flat

Dw: http://www.maxwelldrums.com/hardware-hardware-c-189_111.html

For me in this case price is not question, i want to pick lightest and best quality hardware that would work for me.
Very important part is hi hat stand and here i need really help because i can not try it.
I play most jazzy things but pop-rock stuff too, so it should be of course durable for normal playing.
Thank you very much

Gibraltar all the way. I purchased the entire Gibraltar lightweight 8600 series hardware for my new jazz kit and couldn't be happier. Found the matching discontinued lightweight bass drum pedal in the series too without the full foot plate you see in the current model at a local auction house recently. Very well made and good quality parts and well priced.

The Canopus and DW were well out of the question based on performance versus their very high price for either one here in Canada.

I've not seen the Canopus hardware but both the DW and Gibraltar light hardware is good stuff. I prefer the DW but mostly because all my other crap is DW so I like the idea having extra cymbal sleeves, felts and wing nuts (which I already have) that matches my current hardware.

Not really important, but.. I have several Gibraltar accessories (clamps, arms, etc..) all great stuff.

If you don't need the flat base,you might also consider Yamaha. I owned it previously and was very satisfied.

Thank you Steamer, Gibraltar costs less money then dw or canopus, great to hear that is very well made and of course lightweight.
How is it with hi hat stand,smooth work,durable, does it make noise by playing?

The flat base high-hat stand is very smooth with no sounds. Pretty cool design with moving dual plates instead of a chain connecting to the upper drum key adjustable sliding tension shaft. Hardly takes up any space on stage with its flat base legs and has a built in sliding {for wood or carpet} dual spur plate.that REALLY works, SOLID!

Good stuff............

Gibraltar and DW Fb stands are great stuff. I have experience with both brands.

When I bought a "full set" of light hardware, I went with the DW because of the memory locks and the cymbal space feature--plus, every other DW hardware piece I have is rock solid after many years. So is the Gibraltar stuff, but their FB's don't have the locks.

I have the light version of the 5000 two leg stand and it's been great.
The 7000 single brace leg DW is great feeling, but it's not quite as light as the FB.

The 5000TL hat stand I got WITH the cymbals on it is a lot lighter than just the hat stand I was using (Gib Liquid drive--great, but heavy!).

If Steamer said the Gib FB hat is great and smooth, I'd believe it, their stuff is super. I bought my son a Gib FB snare stand 3 or 4 yrs ago, and it's been solid.

I found the FB DW hat stand to be too wobbly for me, since I play rock, and we get pretty raucous at times. I just didn't like the movement.

The straight DW FB cymbal stands hold my 20" and 24" cymbals totally solid, and I don't have any fear of them not holding up or falling over (a heads up to you hard players out there sick of heavy stuff too!).

I use a FB snare stand for my tom and it's very solid as well. No problems. I would have gotten one for my snare too, but it doesn't go low enough, so I got a 7000.
It's pretty dang light, and very solid.

One neat thing about the Gib FB stands is that they have a key lock at the bottom of the stand to really lock it down, but that may or may not be of use to you.
The Gib Brake tilter is great and super secure. I found the felts hold the cymbal just enough to move and feel good too.

DW or Gib....both have great things about them, so you can't go wrong with either IMO, but the memory locks were a must for me, so I went with the DW stuff.

Good luck in your choice!

Back