jammin sam drum wrap?

zuexeus

after haggling with them on the phone for 10 minutes i just get frustrated and hang up. then their sweet talking sales rep calls me a few weeks later and asks me if i'm still interested, and i begin to think that they aren't that annoying. then i call back and it starts all over again.

i was trying to get them to send me pre-cut wrap that would cover my shells from edge to edge but they keep asking the same stupid question, "are you measuring the drum with the heads on?". the answer is always "No!" it's like they are stuck in a feedback loop! the shells i'm currently recovering are 9"x13" and a 16"x16" raw wood shells, so it's not like i'm putting wrap over wrap. i've seen a guy that redid his drums with wrap that was 1/4" short from the bearing edges before, and it looked like total crap. plus i'm gluing the wrap, not taping it.

maybe i should just get it from somewhere else? anyone ever deal with these people?

You know what? I had a hard time dealing with them too! A couple years ago I ordered some precut wrap and it was like it was a hassle for them to help me on the phone. I never would've thought about that if you hadn't have said something, but now that I'm thinking about it I would heartily discourage you from dealing with them. There are other wrap companies out there and I want to formally NOT recommend doing business with them... The product is fine, but the way they treat people SUCKS!

yea... i got samples from precision, drum foundry, drummaker and jammin sam. the samples from precision and drum foundry scratched too easily (it's the mirror chrome wrap). i think drum maker and jammin sam get there stuff from the same manufacturer, so i'll probably just going to get full sheets from drummaker.

Wow, that's really odd. Very recently I purchased wrap from them and they were VERY helpful. I will say they are extremely insistent that you get exact measurements down to the 16th of an inch, but I'd rather them be very particular than someone not caring and then I get sheets that don't fit. I know about a handful of drummers who use jammin same religiously and swear by them. My sheets were pre cut with their high bond adhesive already attached. Made my work sooooo much easier and everything fit great. I guess it's possible you guys might have just had some bad reps.

Yeah I got the precut sheets with the adhesive as well. Like I said, the product was fine, but the attitude was totally uncalled for.

the retarded question "are you measuring the drum with the heads on?" kept coming up over and over again. i would give them the exact measurements OF THE SHELL, but then they reverting back to that stupid question.

did your precut pieces go from edge to edge or were there gaps?

The pre-cut wrap (when measured properly) stops short of the edge of the drum in order to allow the head to sit flush with the bearing edges. There was a few millimeters between the end of the shell and where the bearing edge starts. It made sense to me and you can't see the gap when the heads are on. I guess the short answer is yes, there was a small gap.

i was trying to get them maybe a 1/16" longer so when i freshened up the bearing edges on the router table after wrapping, everything would be flush, but no deal.

Yeah, I don't see how they can be so harsh about this whole measuring thing. Its not like it should matter to them if you mis-measure. I would just do your edges before, or just give them what you think the size will be afterward. If you screw it up, its noones fault but your own, and its not the end of the world anyway... Post pics of the re-wrap when you get it done.

I have dealt with and have know Sam for 20 plus years. I have never had any problems with dealing with him. The quarter inch from the bearing edge that you talk about is to compensate for when you put the drum head on. I have also been recovering and reconditioning drums for about 20 plus years. I've used both glue and tape. Also have not had a problem with either one. If it was me I'd ask him to send some samples of what he has (if he still does that) and it usually comes with instructions. He also has a video about wraping drums and maybe that might help settle the confusion.

I've only bought from Jammin Sam a few times but both times went smoothly. He lives in Phoenix so I deal with him face to face.

If you wanna save cash, deal with people who speak TERRIBLE English, and cut your own from sheets call Canal Street Plastics. They are cheap, but you need to do the cutting yourself.

I've ordered from Jammin Sam. I don't know where the disconnect could be. When I called them I gave them the dimensions and told them what I needed. They pressed, wanting to know the EXACT depth of my drums, but I told them to just ship the standard sizes and I'd trim as needed. They took a credit card and I received the product a week later. Fast and easy in my experience. I also didn't experience any smooth talking salesman. This being said, I am in sales, so maybe I'm immune to some sales techniques.

It should be easy. You tell them what you need and they fill it. What is the issue you are having?

I recovered a bass drum and two toms several years ago, and Jammin' Sam was quite helpful. It was a good experience for me. Peace and goodwill.

Last edited:
I just tried doing business with jammin Sam but this guy is SO negative! Everything I tried working out with him was No - No - No!! Then he calls me in the next few days to see if I wanted to order his coverings. What??

This guy is a complete MORMON (remove the 2nd M)!! BUYER BEWARE!!

I recovered my Rogers Holiday a couple of years back using Jammin' Sam material. I placed the order with Sam personally. The transaction went very smoothly. Very positive experience.

From this:

To this:

I would do business with him again.

I just tried doing business with jammin Sam but this guy is SO negative! Everything I tried working out with him was No - No - No!! Then he calls me in the next few days to see if I wanted to order his coverings. What??

This guy is a complete MORMON (remove the 2nd M)!! BUYER BEWARE!!

This guy is going around to different forums and blasting Sam. Hard to take someone seriously who's just ranting and giving no specifics.

And just curious...why not use the word "moron" rather than injecting a potential lightning-rod religious aspect? I think I know who the moron is...

I've bought wraps from Sam twice. Positive experience.

Back