John Bonham

Re: John Bonham (Bonzo)

This is hilarious!!! I remember in the 70's, they had to book 6 nights at the old Chicago Stadium, they sucked so bad. No other band has ever booked that many nights in a major venue in Chicago. Not even close. I hope to be in a band that rots like that someday!

bigbang said:
sorry guys but i've held back long enough : don't get me wrong i love jb as much as the next person but the truth must come out 1) led zepplin was totally hated by the critics thru most of their career and the record buying community(remember i'm 43 years old so i have some memory left that the scotch wiskey did'nt kill)2) the most popular bands at the time where deep purple ,alice cooper ,black sabbath, sweet , the osmonds (ahhhh) , jackson 5 , grand funk ,sly stone, etc... remember i'm not putting them down.3) it really was'nt till the advent of f.m. radio and the classic rock format that things started happening for them (by this time jb had passed. sidenote : kiss was the most popular band in the world by then.Carmine appiece(i think i spelled his name wrong)was considered the far better drummer at the time.led zepplin was considered underground hippie music then and only appreciated by the sub culture.And we all know the story of jimmy page being the biggest thief of american black music. sorry to piss anybody off but that's the way it was in the 70's.....wayne

So you were 7 when LZ debuted?

sorry mr. bigbang, i don't agree with your statement. although it is known that they weren't especially 'liked' by the critics, i don't think they wered hated by them.

Bonzo said:
This is hilarious!!! I remember in the 70's, they had to book 6 nights at the old Chicago Stadium, they sucked so bad. No other band has ever booked that many nights in a major venue in Chicago. Not even close. I hope to be in a band that rots like that someday!

It was actually four nights, and it was in April of 1977. They also had a three night stay in January of 1975. Both of these Chicago stints weren't up to par because it was the beginning of both tours. By the end of April, they were playing better than they ever did in 1975, and for Led Zeppelin fans [or bootleg collectors], 1977 was probably thier worst touring year.

Actually I remember from an intrview with Ian Paice, he sayed: ''Led Zeppelin were never a live band, they worked incerdibly well in studio but live... that just wasn't their thing''
Edit: this is not how he sayed, that is how I remember, I will try to find that interview

I have to agree with Ian, when I listen to Deep Purple, then it is allways their live recordings, but when Led Zeppelin, then allways (70%) studio recordings. Well some of the live stuff is awsome, for example - Since I've been loving you (from the BBC sessions) on the studio record it is not even close as good as live

What? You guys don't believe Wayne on the 70's? You mean you don't believe a half-witted, middle-aged-raging alcoholic?

i believe all the things he said about jackson 5 and grand funk, and don't be so harsh about the guy.
i do like Deep Purple live than studio recordings as well. Personally Made In Japan is far better than Machinehead because it has far more improvisation and cool solos.

okay guys that's enough member bashing. everything here is opinion and need not be lead by IMHO or IMO. wayne stated what was true to him in the 70s. but it is a big world. let's get back and keep back on topic.

just spent an hour playing 'Darlene' from coda over and over again. i love that hihat accent.

also played 'fool in the rain' from beginning to end with bonzo and hooray, i made very few mistakes.

j

NUTHA JASON said:
also played 'fool in the rain' from beginning to end with bonzo and hooray, i made very few mistakes.

Now play with baseball bats to emulate his sound!

Re: When did you meet Bonzo??

A long while ago my dad brought home "Led Zeppelin I", It must of been the only thing I listened to for a month. From then on I gradually collected everything zeppelin I could find, (curently I have every studio record including The song remains the same soundtrack, and both the TSRS movie and the double disc footage...of course this took awhile to collaborate)...It just so happened that I had just started drumming then, so John Bonham inspired me to dive into drumming head first...I have "A thunder of drums" which just amazing book, i suggest any Bonham fan to get it. I'm still in awe of his powerful expertise.

Donovan

Re: 25 years now

Indeed R.I.P John (Bonzo) Henry Bonham. Watched the vids on that site ye posted and once again just amazed with his creativity and power.

R.I.P John.

Re: JOHN BONHAM'S THREAD

sorry guys but i've held back long enough : don't get me wrong i love jb as much as the next person but the truth must come out 1) led zepplin was totally hated by the critics thru most of their career and the record buying community(remember i'm 43 years old so i have some memory left that the scotch wiskey did'nt kill)2) the most popular bands at the time where deep purple ,alice cooper ,black sabbath, sweet , the osmonds (ahhhh) , jackson 5 , grand funk ,sly stone, etc... remember i'm not putting them down.3) it really was'nt till the advent of f.m. radio and the classic rock format that things started happening for them (by this time jb had passed. sidenote : kiss was the most popular band in the world by then.Carmine appiece(i think i spelled his name wrong)was considered the far better drummer at the time.led zepplin was considered underground hippie music then and only appreciated by the sub culture.And we all know the story of jimmy page being the biggest thief of american black music. sorry to piss anybody off but that's the way it was in the 70's.....wayne

that is biggest lie ive ever heard. Along with The Beatles, Led Zeppelin is one of 2 bands with 5 diamond albums, meaning sales of more than 10 million each. They are Led Zeppelin 4 (22 mil), Physical Graffiti (15 mil), Led Zeppelin II (12 mil), Houses of the Holy (11 mil), and their Boxed Set (10 mil). black sabbath,jackson 5 did not sell that many recrords. dont tell me they were not popular until after bonzo died. the crictics probley didnt like them that much, but thats probley because they were so different than anything else up there. and everyone knows the media sucks. come on the box set took out 50 cent in the record sales charts 20 years after they broke up.

Re: JOHN BONHAM

NUTHA JASON said:
yesterday was my 30th birthday and the 25th anniversary of john bonham's tragic death. a hero and a legend and sorely missed. perhaps in 5 years there will be a burning for bonham tribute.

i will be there.

j

Actually, I read that Mike Portnoy was part of a Bonzo tribute, to the point Tama made him a zep kit.

A drummer who's inspired everyone of us.....

RIP BONZO!!!

oh god am i gonna ket killed for this. first off john bonham was an amazing drummer. his right foot was indeed very fast and his triplet fills were vey impressive. he played a lot of really cool stuff. two things, however, bother me when i listen to zeppelin. one is personal, in that i'm not actually a huge fan of that kind of rock, though i'm not saying it's bad music. heck it's incredible. the second is this. moby dick solo is, in my opinion, slightly too long and slightly too dull. even the studio version. i can never be bother to properly pay attention to the whole thing, cos it isn't exciting to me. it doesn't seem to have a pulse to it. the fact that the concert version was half an hour makes it worse, though the video clips on this site did make it seem like a much better solo. i think the studio version was a mistake, and i personally prefer the guitar parts. don't kill me please.

WELL THEN EWANLAING!!!!! Nah just kidding I suppose we all have opinions, negatives, positives and basically judgements on songs (solos) whatever. I myself do like the studio recording of Moby Dick and could never get bored of it, even the live version for that fact (probably because Im still learning a technique off it which is stupidly difficult). Its my opinion on it anyway we are all different thats what makes us copy from each other (cheesy I know).

Back