John Bonham

The Crunge still blows my mind. I think Bonzo and JPJ were the best rhythm section ever in rock. Just listen to the Lemon Song.

And the people said...."AMEN!" Probably the simplest and most accurate statement I've heard in a long while on this 'puter thang.

does anybody know bonham influences? tnx

I have read several articles where they talk about Bonham's influences. In one of these articles Robert Plant talks about how Bonham was amazed with and very much influenced by Buddy Rich, he felt that the drummer for Jethro Tull whos name escapes me right now, was the best rock drummer that England ever produced. And later on he used to go see Billy Cobham play and was a big fan of his playing. Growing up he really loved the big band drummers. And was also influenced by Ginger Baker to some extent.

I have read several articles where they talk about Bonham's influences. In one of these articles Robert Plant talks about how Bonham was amazed with and very much influenced by Buddy Rich, he felt that the drummer for Jethro Tull whos name escapes me right now, was the best rock drummer that England ever produced. And later on he used to go see Billy Cobham play and was a big fan of his playing. Growing up he really loved the big band drummers. And was also influenced by Ginger Baker to some extent.

It might be Barriemore Barlow. The drummer you may be thinking of, pcmckay.

Or...Clive Bunker.

;-)

JB meant Barlow. Barlow & Baker were the cats amongst his peers,he thought were good. He also knew all along that he was very good.

I also forgot to mention Cozy Powell. Powell and Bonham were good friends and he was another peer of Bonzo's that he respected as well. And yes Carmine was another peer that he respected, when Vanilla Fudge was the headliner for one Zeppelins first tours Carmine and Bonzo were always trading ideas. And Carmine is responsible for getting Bonham the Ludwig endorsement.

The guy he truly enjoyed jamming with was the drummer of Bad Company ( forget the guy's name...)
Simon Kirke I think that's the spelling, Bad Company was one of the first bands too be signed on LZ record label "Swan Song"

Bonzolead

I'm new to drumming, apart from a kit as a three year old (nearly 40 years ago) and have to say thanks for all the contribtions to this thread. I've read a few posts from the start and end and will go through the rest of it at some point.

JBs sound, pocket, feel or whatever you want to call it, has always been my main attraction to Led Zeppelin and reading this thread has reconfirmed that he had something relatively different and special.

I'll be looking around the forum for guidance in learning but thought I'd sign off with this link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlkJC6eoKeA
I did a quick search for The Senators and got no results here, so enjoy John Bonhams first recording.

Coming up, I was enthralled with John Bonham and Neil Peart at the same time...I think it was a pretty good way to learn. One drummer influences you to try anything, the other influences you to know where to put the things you've tried and learned.

Thank you John Henry Bonham.

Does anyone know what sizes Jason plays? I read a feature on him in an old Modern Drummer right before the '07 reunion and said he uses a 26" but aside from that show, most photos of his kits don't appear to be 26".

Thanks for any info on this mild curiosity.

I recently played a show with Jason Bonham and Foreigner and his kit was a vistalite Ludwig kit, 12" rack tom, 16" and 18" floor toms and a 22" kick drum I believe.

143ztlj.jpg

Back