Heaviest/most powerful beaters?

Silverfox

Currently I use the little rubber axis beaters on my longboards--although I want to replace them with something much heavier. I'm still trying to decide between felt and wood--although I'll probably just go with whichever provides the best attack. I'm stuck between choosing the DW Drum Workshop SM102 Large Felt (or wood) Bass Drum Beaters, Danmar Bass Drum Beater 206 White Felt (or wood) beaters, and the iron cobra beaters in either felt, or wood.

The most disappointing thing is that the weight of each beater isn't listed, and I really just want the heaviest, most powerful beater I can possibly get--even to the point of being ridiculously large. I hit very hard when the music calls for it, and would have no issues with speed or control with a huge beater. My spring tension is maxed, and I have the beaters angled far back for maximum power. Among other things I'm looking into is getting heftier springs, and as with the beaters, I want the absolute most monstrous things I can get my hands on. ;)

For several years I used the Danmar Red Ball wood beaters. Those things are hefty. I switched to a lighter beater about three years later and use the Danmars for when I absolutely, positively have to drive the kick hard.

I have the Trick Dominator beater. I like it, but the beater that came with my DW 5000 pedal is much louder on the plastic side. Also the Dominator squeaks a little bit if you bury the beater in the head. Not very noticable in high volumes, but it can get annoying at lower volumes.

Hmm, it's not possible to get those dominators in felt, is it? Or at least heavy metal covered in felt would be perfect to me.

From hat I hear they're actually very light. Another option to try is to wrap your wood beater in wool yarn so you have the attack you need and the option to lightly tap the kick when needed. I tried this on an Axis plastic beater. Went too large the first time around and it sounded a bit too boomy. Recently just for kicks I removed much of the yarn and it actually sounds pretty good for what I do.

This video provides a very good step-by-step on how to wrap a mallet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_owCyBPS7I

Pro mark used to make a square wood beater. Seen here...

attachment.php

I really just want the heaviest, most powerful beater I can possibly get--even to the point of being ridiculously large.

AXIS SONIC HAMMER is the heaviest beater I've encountered,and I have weighed them. Im not going to search, tho there was a thread years back about beaters and their weights. I have the SONIC HAMMERS weight listed there along w/some others- SLUG I think(?)

You can always use beater weights and there's beaters available with removable weights in the head.

Below is a pic of a ROOLO beater weight, pretty sure the first beater weight accessory... came out in the mid 80's.

The weight distribution is what makes a pedals feel. Is it top heavy, is the weight greater on the cam, or foot board?

The optimal balance exists, it just needs to be identified. Its loosely being considered in pedal design. Like a mid-engine auto handles/feels differently from a front/rear engine auto.

Chain, strap, direct, these things add/subtract weight to a a certain part of the pedal, this weight distribution is a big factor, same with foot board, beater and cam weight, they all play a major role in the feel of the pedal.

Attachments

• Picture 8.png
    Picture 8.png
    201.3 KB · Views: 831
  • Picture 9.png
    Picture 9.png
    165.1 KB · Views: 824
I really just want the heaviest, most powerful beater I can possibly get--even to the point of being ridiculously large.

AXIS SONIC HAMMER is the heaviest beater I've encountered,and I have weighed them. Im not going to search, tho there was a thread years back about beaters and their weights. I have the SONIC HAMMERS weight listed there along w/some others- SLUG I think(?)

You can always use beater weights and there's beaters available with removable weights in the head.

Below is a pic of a ROOLO beater weight, pretty sure the first beater weight accessory... came out in the mid 80's.

The weight distribution is what makes a pedals feel. Is it top heavy, is the weight greater on the cam, or foot board?

The optimal balance exists, it just needs to be identified. Its loosely being considered in pedal design. Like a mid-engine auto handles/feels differently from a front/rear engine auto.

Chain, strap, direct, these things add/subtract weight to a a certain part of the pedal, this weight distribution is a big factor, same with foot board, beater and cam weight, they all play a major role in the feel of the pedal.

Ah, thanks for the valuable info. I ordered two large felt DW beaters a few days ago after a friend told me they were the heaviest beaters they've ever used.

It's a good thing beaters are fairly inexpensive--because I'll have to give those sonic hammers a try sometime.

If you want the beaters you ordered to feel a little heavier still, try a Tama beater weight.

They don't weigh much, but they make a real nice difference in the sound. Inexpensive too.
I use the (old) DW plastic/felt beater with a weight right under the beater head.

Nice action on the pedal, and a fat sound.

Pedal.jpg

I also hate a clicky bass drum sound, so I use a cut piece of (3x4) Coated Ambassador as my patch. Great punch, without a slap.

Bassheadmuffle.jpg

Also, DW offers a Heavy Duty spring. They should have those locally at GC at least.

Good luck!

I had the same problem with those little axis beaters. I glued some heavy rubber around them, then taped them up, and had beater weights on them.

then they were TOO heavy, so I got a pair of those red wooden ones, and I think they're perfect.

Back