Gavin Harrison here!

Hey, Gavin. I recently bought your new DVD. It is by far the most amazing DVD i've ever experienced. I have been able to master the 5-5-7 pattern, with both quarter notes and three sixteenths over it. I feel so amazing. But it's really because of you, since its your idea. The last thing I posted was about that triplet paradiddle riff that you do a lot in the solo on the DVD and then also at the end of Gravity Eyelids (around like 6:17) and since then, I've got a decent handle on that riff. I sort of extend it to RLRRLR so it's 7/16 sort of, and i have been able to GREATLY utilise (british spelling, for your benefit) that idea in many songs with my prog metal band. So thanks for the inspiration and I'm never taking that DVD out of my player! P.S. Where can I find a copy of Mother and Child divided or whatever that song is? everyone's talking about it but I can't find it.

Thanks,
Foog

Hey Midnite Mike,
you've never heard of ambience mics? Maybe I'm using the wrong term? These are stereo mics that are set up at a fair distance from the drums so they pic up more of the room sound and less of the close sound. (I've already got the close sound with the mics directly by the drum skins). Then I can mix in both sounds - dry close mics - and distant ambient mics.
I'm using the Neumanns about 6 to 8 feet in front of the drums - and then the Schoeps about 40 feet away.

Hi Foog,
wow - glad you like it that much!!!! There's a version of Mother & Child Divided on the new PT Live DVD. Also on the "Rockpalast" show (of which the audio is downloadable from ...

http://www.burningshed.com/index.asp?page=downloaddetails&id=42&returnpage=mp3band&returnid=103

Cheers
Gavin

Hi Gavin!

I just discovered PT about a year ago (thank you Andy VanDette), and I absolutely love the band and, in particular, your playing. I am very interested in your instructional DVDs and was wondering if they are only available from the PT shop or if they are available from any retail in the US?

Secondly, I noticed that you have a co-writing credit on Futile, Mother and Child Divided, The Start of Something Beautiful, So Called Friend, and Halo. These are among some of my favorites. I am curious how involved you are in the writing of the songs and if there are any possible new ones from the forthcoming PT album?

Finally, a technical question regarding Mother and Child Divided - I've seen versions from both the RockPalast show and the new DVD (Do you prefer one performance over the other?) You previously mentioned in this thread that you sometimes perform a triplet bass drum roll and the end of the phrase - are you using some type of high hat clamp to keep it closed while playing kick with both pedals? Also, it appears that this little (broken?) triplet is preceded by a couple ghost notes on the snare - just how many notes are in there on the snare/kick?

That's just a sick groove (as is Muzac, Futile, etc.) Thanks for the inspiration!

Hi cygnify,
at the moment my new DVD Rhythmic Horizons is only available from the PT shop.

http://www.burningshed.com/index.asp?main=pt&page=band&id=80

Halo, So Called Friend and Glass Arm Shattering - all came out of band writing sessions. The other co-writes that I did mainly started with a drum idea that I developed and worked on with Steve Wilson.

I don't really have a preference of performance of M&C Divided on the PT LIve DVD or Rockpalast - because I can't really remember them. Which one do you like?
I do use a Tama Cobra Clutch in that song. I love it - I actually designed something like this many years ago - I'm so glad someone got round to making one because it's so useful if you dabble a bit in double pedal (as I sometimes do).
I think you may be correct about the ghost note thing. I tend to play a 16th note Ghost note after a main backbeat. I guess it's the Jeff Porcaro influence coming through!!!

Cheers
Gavin

Gavin,
Thanks for taking the time to answer everyone's questions. I am truly impressed by the speed at which you repsond sometimes.

I've been playing drums for 14 years and have been in a bit of a slump. I must say that after watching the new PT DVD I was completely blown away and I found the inspiration to keep on playing.

I do have a question/request of my own though. Would it possible for you to post the drums, cymbals, etc... you used during the show on the DVD? I'm sure other folks here would be interested in knowing as well.

Thanks again.

Hi sclemmer

Here's a list of the drums/cymbals that I used on that PT Live DVD.
:
SONOR DeLite in Birdseye Azure
Toms 8x8, 10x8, 12x9, 14x12, 16x14 (all with Remo coated Emperors on top, clear Ambassadors on bottom)
Kick 22x17 (Powerstroke 3 clear)
Snares- varies; usually main is Sonor Black Steel 14x5 (Remo Emperor X head) with an aux 12" (Remo Ambassador head) to the left of the hi-hat

Cymbals:
14" Oriental China Trash
5 custom made bells
13" K Hi-Hats
19" K Crash
6" A Custom Splash
8" EFX
15" A Custom Crash
20" K Ride
18" A Custom Crash
12" Oriental China Trash
18" A Custom China

(Note: All cymbals are Zildjian and are listed in the order they appear from left to right. The five custom bells were made from some old broken Zildjian crash cymbals.)

Cheers
Gavin

Dear Sir,
it was exactly an hour ago when i was informed that a great drumming persona such as yourself has actually bothered to spend some time off and grace this part of cyber space with his presence.....i think itll still take some time to sink in...

so anyway its an honour to be able to communicat with you in such a fashion. id lik u to know that uv been one of my mentors (along with danny carey, josh freese, tim alexander) ever since i heard in absentia for the first time.....which was about 2 years ago

im goin to leave all the praises out (for now) cuz i know im gona fall short of words to describe the beauty of ur playing skills. ill jump straight to the most annoying bit of being such a great drummer .....that is to be able to provide answers to the most naive questions possible so here goes

1) im from india....and sonor was recently launched here.....all this while iv been using a mapex q series kit (wch i love for the price) but now im ready for an upgrade
considerin the prices here in india are high even for the starter level kits....id like to know if it would be worth buying a sonor force drumkit (505, 1005 or 2005)
also kindly suggest wch of the above i should go in for

2) iv been using a mapex janus ergo double bass pedal.....but im really stuck up on the sonor big beat cuz danny careys been usin it for some time now
do u suggest i go in for one of those ?.....if not is ther any other pedal besides the longboard that i could try

3) i have a 32-note xylophone but have absolutely not the slightest idea of how to play it......all i can play are some random notes by ear....but id lik to learn the scales as well....so is ther a book or a dvd that ud recommend

4) http://www.emusicpost.com/techtalk.html
if u ever find the time....pls read my interview wch was taken recently.....hehe it has ur name in it

5) also....is it possible for me to take ur interview and put it up on that site ?
cuz u hav a LOT of fans here in india and im sure theyd love to read one

6) lastly
im sure youv heard of the legendry Zakir Hussain.....well every year he invites great drummers from all over the world to play at a fuction that is held as a tribute to his late father
this year mr terry bozzio was down with his entire kit (phew) and i had the opportunity of meeting him
last year it was mr steve smith. i managed to meet him as well and get him to sign my hi hats...wooo hoooo
so i was wondering if ud come down here next year in feb....if i manage to get to mr zakir hussain and request him to request u to come down :)
its a dream to actually see u play in person

anyway thanks for taking time off to read this and sorry for having bothered you
hamza
(PS i play for a prog rock/metal band....we cover tool, opeth and porcupine tree)

Hello Gavin...I´m a huge fan of your playing. I was just wondering what you are currently practising on and trying to improve in your own playing?

You already kick ass, but it´s interresting to know where you can go from that.

Hi Gavin,

I have been listening to Porcupine Tree for years and I must admit that when I heard In Absentia for the first time I was really fascinated by your drumming. It was something quite diverse from what Chris Maitland was doing at the time. Not only from technical point of view. There are some certain ideas regarding tempo, accuracy and precision. My favourite track in that respect is Gravity Eyelids, which is maybe quite simple rhythmically but very "clear" regarding overall sound. The same space and clearness are also present in Tinto Brass (XM version). I can hear there some Steward Copeland influences (splash work) and even Bill Bruford (snare, tempo - I think both you have very much in common in the way you are "plannig" the beat). There are also mind-blowing changes of tempo in the middle part of that track.

Compering the XM albums and Deadwing the sound of your drum set has changed. The sharp and light tone became more powerfull. It is due to current metal orientation of the band?

Also - I know about Futile and The Start of..., but does Steven give you any rhythmic ideas regarding each particular track sometimes?

And what do you think of using electronics (D-Drums) as a part of the drum set (in the way like for example Pat Mastelotto is using them) ?

Thanks very much,
Best wishes
Piotr

Hi drumbumhamza,
thanks for the message.
1. I'm not very familiar with the Sonor Force series - but I have seen and played them at the factory and at trade shows and I think they are very good indeed. In the tradition of Sonor - they are well designed and constructed. I'm sure you would not be unhappy with them. Maybe you could experiment with different skin choices to find a sound that suits your style?

2. I love the Sonor double pedal, it feels really good - I use it on some of my DVD. My feet just got used to playing at higher volumes on the Axis Longboards.

3. I've no idea how to really study xylophone...but playing another instrument apart from drums is a very helpful thing. I play bass and a bit of guitar and keyboards.

4. Ok I'll have a look

5. What interview of mine is it that you want to put up on that site?

6. Zakir Hussain is an amazing musician - I'd love to meet him.

Many thanks
Gavin

Hi Andrew2,
I'm not practising that much at the moment because I'm busy recording in the studio. But when I do have time, I just explore concepts and improvise ideas. I'm always trying to improve my sense of time - and understanding of rhythm.

Hi piotr,
regarding the difference of drum sound from XM and Deadwing. XM (and XM2) were recorded in 3 hours each, in the studio of XM Radio in Washington DC. The sound of the drums was pretty much the sound the engineer made on the day. Deadwing was recorded in a different way - there was no particular difference in the drums themselves - in fact it was a almost identical kit. Probably the production of Deadwing was a lot more extensive - and also the chance to spend a lot more time on the recording of each track - and on the mixing process.

Sometimes Steven has programmed a drum part on the demo of a song - and sometimes I play almost exactly that. Other times I completely change it. It depends on how well 'designed' the drum part was for the song...and if I think it works.

I have a set of DDrums (and I think they're very good) - but I've gone off playing electronic drums. It really doesn't satisfy me anymore.

Cheers
Gavin

thank you for the reply
i guess ill try those kits out then

about the interview.....the site is a music oriented site that keeps youngs musicians here updated on gigs, workshops, instruments, cds....everything related to music
it has an interview section wch contains interviews of several indian and international musicians.....so i was wonderin wether i cud send u a list of questions (haha not too many....wudn want to bother u much).... the answers to wch wud be put up on the site as an interview

www.emusicpost.com
thats the link

considerin that you are one of the main topics of discussion (amongst drummers) at almost every gig, i thot may be theyd lik to see a few questions answered by the legend himself

awaitin your reply (again :) )

I started thinking about this the other night, and I figured a pro would be the only person able to answer it. How do you keep a relationship (wife, girlfriend) going when youre touring? Thanks.

Hi again...I´ve been practising to your books now for awhile, or trying to it´s pretty hard. But could you give me some song recommendations featuring your types of groove modulations, ideas and A and B modes in musical context. Thanks

Hi Gavin,

I am a few weeks away form purchasing all your books and DVDs, and am really looking forward to giving the brain some high grade chow.
I need to pay off some drum accessories first, and since I will have plenty of time between now and then I know I will need a very good hi-hat foot in order to complete most of the exercises.

Do you have any suggestions or simple patterns that I could work on (that worked for you) just to get this foot more involved so that it is in better shape for taking on your material when it finally arrives? It gets very little to no use whenever I play. I'm referring to the 'chicking' sound created by the foot, no sticks.

Thanks in advance.

Back