katcaldera

Check out this bad ass chick drummer who entered a video into the new female drumming video contest. There are a lot of videos to sift through on their site with a rare few having any real skill or talent or good grooves. This chick writes her own shit, and hits hard.

http://www.hitlikeagirl2012.com/videos/lindsey-elias

Post comments here about this video and how you think it compares to the other videos!
Personally, this chick Lindsey and this one other chick Sarah Luffred are the only two that I have found that seem to have any truly awesome skill and attractive, charismatic, hard hitting drumming. I wanna know what other drummers think!

I think this is a "pretty bold post" ... for your #1. Don't know anything about you ... if you're a drummer .... if you own a drum set ..... nada. For all I know, you could be this girls boyfriend, girlfriend, blood relative ......​

the sound blows....can hardly hear the drums.

F

Yeah, the sound blows, but i can still tell what she's doin visually and in combo with what sound i can hear.
And yeah, I know the drummer, and also I am being genuine in my post. I actually get the feeling that the contest is being driven purely by who has the most facebook friends or whatever that they can advertise their video to, or it's being affected by who does popular covers and therefore turns up in more youtube searches. . .I posted this to see what real drummers who are objectively "judging" the videos would think. That would be much more interesting of a contest if it were simply judged by strangers who know their drumming.

So ignore me if you are bothered by my bias, or believe my genuine desire to discuss this. And just b/c I'm new to this forum doesn't mean I won't start being a regular contributor. :)

Thanks for reading! And watch Sarah Luffred's vid too! And watch some random girls and talk about it here!

Sorry...unless you can post a vid with MUCH better sound quality...there just isn't anything to talk about.I'd be more than willing to discuss a valid presentation.This just isn't it.

Steve B

Yeah...the sound is terrible. I don't think I would post this video if it were me...just my opinion. Surely you have something with better sound quality?

Having a daughter I think the whole Hit Like a Girl thing is a somewhat sexist load of b.s. A drummer is a drummer. "Attractiveness" would not being an issue if it was a male-only competiton. Just my opinion.

I don't disagree with any of the posts so far. The sound is a joke, & I have no idea why a player who's been at it for 15 years wouldn't have access to a better example of her work. I think she's selling herself short = big time.

But then there's the other side of me. The side that's picking out good skills and a strong vibe. I think her dynamics are a bit one dimensional, & that's a shame, because some light & shade would feature her energy filled performance better. There's some really good stuff in there, but y'all know me, I'm about the vibe every time.

I am so not getting this 'hit like a girl' thing. I work with women drummers (three of them, in fact) and they can really play. This competition is just sexist bulls**t to me. If you play, you play. How do you stack up against the masters? Does something like this mean there's a different standard for the girls? There are so many good drummers, period. Women and men. If I'm hiring, I don't care if you're male or female, I want you to play up to what I want. I'm not sure I agree with competitions like this. What if somebody did a "Play like a man" drum competition?

I agree with the sound, man it's awful ... but Lindsey doesn't do it for me, it's not just a question of sound, the whole approach is a bit too much in your face for my liking :)

I checked Sarah too, since you asked, a bit better (the sound certainely is) but she still doesn't get my vote, some timing issue in the fills, and to be honest, not my style :)

I also checked a few contestants vids as you suggested, I thought I might as well play the game, and upon watching several videos, this drummer, Lady Dee, gets my vote, for me, compared to the two drummers you mentioned, there's no contest, she's the best overall drummer by a large margin, but it's subjective to what you're judging upon during their performances, I'm no judge, just my little opinion :)

Check her out, be a bit patient, it doesn't happen straight away :))

http://www.hitlikeagirl2012.com/videos/lady-dee

I am so not getting this 'hit like a girl' thing. I work with women drummers (three of them, in fact) and they can really play. This competition is just sexist bulls**t to me. If you play, you play. How do you stack up against the masters? Does something like this mean there's a different standard for the girls? There are so many good drummers, period. Women and men. If I'm hiring, I don't care if you're male or female, I want you to play up to what I want. I'm not sure I agree with competitions like this. What if somebody did a "Play like a man" drum competition?

I know what you're saying and women's only spaces aren't my thing (obviously) but look at this forum ... what's the woman/man ratio? Incredibly low.

Why? Because men are better suited to drums? We all know that's not true.

No, it's because people still see drums as something that males do, based on history. So, even in today's so-called enlightened times, we still very much carry - and are subject to - the weight of history.

In that light, anything that reinforces the fact that women can not only play drums, but play them with skill and to pleasing effect is a good thing.

Unfortunately, the distortion means this video doesn't show a woman playing drums to "pleasing effect".

I also dislike vids that should be in Your Playing in the General section. I see it as cheating.

What if somebody did a "Play like a man" drum competition?

Why not? a contest is a contest, whatever the subject, the topic, the instrument or the gender of the contestants, it's happening all over the world, it's a contest about female drummers, it's not a bad thing, when I watched these vids, I was looking at some drummers, the fact that they're all female don't bother me that much, I'm only watching some drumming happening in a contest context, no more no less, when you watch gymnastics championship on TV the men and women are not in the same categories, that doesn't mean that women are not as good as men, I'm a man and I can't do what they do :)

In that light, anything that reinforces the fact that women can not only play drums, but play them with skill and to pleasing effect is a good thing.

I totally agree :)

I'll never get the time back that I wasted listening to that.

Dennis

Bo,

I totally agree with you. In your work at Disney you'd see a lot of great female percussionists/drummers.
There are just as many talented females out there as there are males. The drumset world seems to have less visible I think due to the nature of the majority of the gigs. Most of the girls I went to college with had absolutely no interest in playing in a band in bars. They would much rather get a gig at Disney, teaching, teaching drum corps, playing in orchestra's or theater pits. There are great female drumset/percussion players out there that just aren't interested in trying to "make it" in the bar gig world. This contest seems to be aimed toward them.

Most of the girls I went to college with had absolutely no interest in playing in a band in bars. They would much rather get a gig at Disney, teaching, teaching drum corps, playing in orchestra's or theater pits.

They're the smart ones. If I had my time again I'd have taken the formal education route, though it took me a couple of years of garage playing to even know that option existed. By then I'd deluded myself to think I might be able to "make it".

Maybe next incarnation ...

If I could vent a little..I don't care what sex you are, how old, any of that...but the stuff that passes for "good" drumming to me is appalling. After watching that vid with that god awful sound.... I'm sorry but crashing quarters as a ride pattern on the crash cymbal makes me want to take their sticks away. Anybody can do that, there's zero technique, finesse, but really, in the end, it just sounds bad. Just my opinion. To me it's the same as saying spam is some top of the line meat, and everybody saying Oooo yea, spam!

Puh-lease lol.

I hope she better than what I think she is!

I have watched many of the videos for this "contest" and too many of them look like band auditions. Bad sound, bad video, and just all around bad drumming. I am by no means judging women drummers as a whole but right now the one with the most votes must have a lot of friends voting because she is just not the good. Sorry

Back