Pearl Masters Maple Complete vs. Gretsch Catalina Club Maple

martybeats

OK,
So ive been bangin around on an little Ludwig Breakbeats (long story, but I was a drummer 2o yrs ago, recently started playing again and was given the breakbeats for a slab (a case of beer in australia!)! Mind you, I was very suprised at the volume of this little kit, seriously packs a punch. We've been getting a few gigs and more to come so I am looking at an upgrade relatively soon.

Around my price point it seems Im looking at :

Gretsch Catalina Club Maple (5 piece inc snare)

Pearl Masters Maple Complete (3 piece not inc snare)

Possibly: new Ludwig Nuesonic (a bit above my price range!)

Id be happy with the no snare option, as I am running a Pearl Sensitone Elite Brass and I am super happy with it. So basically it comes down to:
- im happy with a three piece (bass, rack tom, floor tom)
- prefer all maple (could handle the maple/cherry of nuesonic)

Would love to get some of your thoughts!

The Catalina Club Maple is the best 'value', 5 drums for a similar price of the Pearl with only 3 drums. Im not one for 'more bang for ya buck' I do prefer quality, so would be interested on thoughts on whether the Pearl option is better than the Gretsch option, despite the 'better value' component!!

I would consider the Ludwig if it was suggested as a 'way way way' better option.

Great to get you guys throughts!!

Cheers
Marty

I don't have an opinion on the Gretsch because I've never played them, but I play the Pearl Masters Complete when I visit my friend.
The Pearls sound very nice. I own a Pearl Reference Pure set.
The Masters Complete are a nice set of drums.

Back