Roland RMP-5 Rhythm Coach

I have the older model RMP-3 and quite frankly I find it a bit gimmicky. The RMP-5 is certainly an upgrade due to the availability of 40 sampled sounds and ports for the addition of e-hats, kick, cymbal etc, which the RMP-3 doesn't have. Who knows, if I had all the features of the 5, I may like it more. But in all honesty, I find practising more productive on an 'old fashioned' practice pad and metronome.

It's up to you of course, but I'd be more inclined to advise you to spend your money on something else.

I have the older model RMP-3 and quite frankly I find it a bit gimmicky. The RMP-5 is certainly an upgrade due to the availability of 40 sampled sounds and ports for the addition of e-hats, kick, cymbal etc, which the RMP-3 doesn't have. Who knows, if I had all the features of the 5, I may like it more. But in all honesty, I find practising more productive on an 'old fashioned' practice pad and metronome.

It's up to you of course, but I'd be more inclined to advise you to spend your money on something else.

Ok, Muckster...I've been a little bothered by my initial response to your question as I realise I've effectively offered advice on a product I haven't used....something I seldom do. So, I whipped out to a local music store and spent 20 mins or so tinkering around on one.

Whilst 20 mins doesn't make me an expert, I feel more comfortable commenting on it now i've actually had a play around.

Firstly, the RMP-5 is far, far superior to it's superseeded little brother. The ability to hear something remotely resembling a snare sound as opposed to an amplified stick on mesh head sound, made it a lot more enjoyable to play. Many diff sounds can be acheived, but to my ear they all still have that cheap 'fake drum' sound to them. Needless to say, the sounds fall far short of the samples offered on the higher end e-kits.
I could only detect a few minor additions to the 'rhythm coach' and nothing for it to be a 'must have' for me.

Can't speak for US pricing as i live in Oz, but at $400 Aussie, I really don't think there is enough bang for your buck. But, as you said yourself it is a "neat little toy".

The RMP-5 is a vast improvement over the RMP-3, but I still stand by my initial call that I'd be just as happy with a practice pad and metronome and personally I still think the money could be better spent elsewhere. But if you're still interested, then I'd recommend a try-before-you-buy scenario. It is fun, but IMHO, not a must have.

Good luck and apols for posting in haste first time round!!

Cheers.

Pocket,

Thanks for your time and honesty. Like you, i will taking a trip to the local music store to tinker with one. Something else may grab my attention by then......The search for the perfect ride cymbal always continues.

Ha...I've always been partial to my Avedis Ping Ride. But have just finished reading several threads slamming it as a 'one trick pony'....so I'll definitely leave that one to you!

No probs at all mate. Good luck and happy hunting!!

Back