Using another drummers gear

Maverick10

Good afternoon,

I have a question. My band is playing a gig on thurs on a 4 band bill at a small venue. We did not set up the gig, we simply replied to an ad on Craigslist looking for bands to play this gig. My band plays first. 8:30-9pm, the next band is 9:15-10, the third band is 10:15-11 and the headliner is 11:15-12 maybe 12:30.

I've been communicating with the band leader of the headliner and the one who set up the gig and he want's all bands to use their backline. I asked multiple times if that included drums, cymbals, etc etc. he double checked with his drummer and said yes just use his gear it's fine, he has a nice kit.

While I understand the proper thing is to use my snare, pedal, cymbals, and maybe throne, but with the size of the venue the number of bands, and small window to get things off the stage such as people, guitars, bass, and get the next band up there plugged in and sound checked.

Should I take this as a don't bring anything except sticks, play, and get off the stage?

I've been reading other posts about this, and for many of you the idea of using your own items was more for personal touch and feel. I have don't have a problem with using completely different kits. In fact I do it right now on a weekly/monthly basis. From a small jazz kit, to my bigger rock kit, to the church kit. The jazz kit has three rides no crashes, my set is 1 rack 2 floor toms and a couple of crashes, the church kit has 2 racks 1 floor, like 6 crashes. I feel I can be me on all those.

my only thought is with adjustment of the kit, and how hard I hit. I'm not a basher, but I can play forcefully with proper technique. I pull the sound out of the toms, swipe across the cymbals not straight down on them. But I can be animated during the show because I get into it. Think Ray Luzier, Lars, standing up, a stick flip here or there. Nothing over the top or so crazy the song suffers or the band looks bad. Always have to make sure the band sounds good. I can play with dynamics and with the venue being smaller I may not need to be overly animated to get the effect.

my second question is it ok with permission from the drummer to adjust things WITHIN reason? I'm not going to make a big to-do about a 30minute set with 3 other bands if the setup isn't exactly how I would want it. At the most I'd adjust snare, hihat and throne heights. Passed that everything else could stay put.

Thank You

Bring sticks, cymbal bag, snare, BD Pedal, and a sharpe.

Only swap the gear if you find you need to. Only make adjustments if you need to. Generally, you can adjust the throne/hat/snare (use the sharpe on the stands to mark the original positions).

Thank You Kamak,

I was already thinking the sharpie to help mark where the owner has it set up. I'll do my best to get it back to the original setup with the marks, but the two drummers after me will move things as well so this might be futile. But like I said i'll do the best I can to have to the owners liking.

Yeah, have my stuff with me in case I need it. Better to have and not need it than to need it and not have it.

J

I've done a few gigs like this and I normally only bring sticks. I've learned that adjusting to another's set up is a great way to learn what might work for your own set up as well as helping you grow as a player by not limiting yourself to one locked in set up.

Play the songs like you normally would, but no more than that. As you're using the gear of others, you have to keep that in mind so as not to be "that guy" who abuses equipment.

Other than thins, have fun and play well!

Bring everything but the drums and cymbal stands---snare and stand, bass pedal, cymbals, and throne---be prepared and professional---it's faster to swap out a few pieces than to adjust snare height/angle, throne height, bass pedal, etc. Talk to the other drummers (especially the one who is supplying the kit), and act accordingly. As you said it's better to have it and not need it. Could be the difference in whether you are invited back!

CommanderRoss thank you for the reply.

I agree!! I feel like this is what I've been training for. To use any gear, any setup, at any time and make it work and sound good. Heck I could use his sticks if I had too because I use so many different brans, models, sizes anyways. like my OP said I use many different setups and it's a good thing to get our of your zone and see what else is out there.

I will play the songs as needed, I will hold off any extra antics that could do any potential damage to his gear. While I could replace most items on his rig, that doesn't help the other drummers for the rest of the night if something is broke. I don't want to hinder the other drummers. That's also why I kind don't want to bring any of my gear and leave myself the option of changing out things and then taking too much time to get off stage and screw the other bands.

I will only move something if absolutely needed and with the owners permission.

J

Hippy Chip,

Thank you!!

the only thing that I can think of that would make switching out gear is if everything is already Mic'd up and the headliner has sound checked for their set. If getting gear on and off the stage would require moving mic stands then that's not a good thing.

I should also point out that by stage I think we might just be in a corner of larger open area and not a real stage so to speak. I'm not envisioning a lot of movement room. I plan on reconing the venue today.

There are many things to consider in a situation like this---but you don't want to be "that guy" who shows up with nothing but sticks, and pisses everyone else off---be prepared!

I don't think it's considered unreasonable to want to switch out the snare and cymbals while also adjusting stand positions. I think that's to be expected when providing a kit. As long as you're quick and professional about it - i.e., don't be chatting up a chick while the rest of your band is getting their gear in place - you should be fine with the 15-minute changeover.

Having said that, if using somebody else's entire kit doesn't phase you - and they're welcoming you to use whatever you like - I don't see any problem with just showing up with sticks. Easiest load-in ever.

Don't make any assumptions until you talk to the drummer (owner of the kit in question) Band leaders tend to be generous with other peoples' gear!

Not unreasonable at all, more like the normal thing drummers do in those situations. Bring breakables, and adjust to your liking, within reason. It's always good to thank the guy for using his kit, and you can ask permission to move a cymbal stand a few inches if you feel the need to, but bear in mind he might not even be there for your early set, and also there will be 2 other drummers after you.

Remember to thank the headline drummer for using their drums. (It's surprising how many support band drummers don't do this....hmmm)

Pair of sticks, buy them a beer/coffee...

Mick

Just check the drummer is cool with what the bandleader has said.

Like others have said, cymbals, snare (w/stand), pedal, sticks. If you wanna save the hassle of adjusting stands bring your own and swap them out providing there isn't a rack or stand mounted toms. Same applies to the throne.

For a 30min opening set I wouldn't want any unnecessary ballache so arrive prepared.

Don't show up without anything or just a pair of sticks, you may get two words said to you that involve sex and travelling.

Hey everyone thank you so much for the replies. All the advice was helpful. I've never been in a situation like this so it was good to get outside opinions.

I'm planning on bringing cymbals, snare(w/stand), throne, pedal and sticks. I of course was planning on meeting the Headline drummer to thank him, to confirm with him what the bandleader said was good to go, and to offer to buy him a beer. If he's cool all around with no gear switch out then cool, but at least i'll be prepared in the event he wants us to use our own "breakables"

Thank you.

J

Back