DIY Pedal Practice pads

Here's mine:

kickpad.jpg

kickpad2.jpg

It turned out too bouncy for my liking, like most other kick pads I ever tried, so I don't really use it. A few days ago i tried using the padded back of my laptop backpack as a makeshift kick pad and it worked pretty well in fact, no excessive rebound and a pretty natural feel.

It turned out too bouncy for my liking, like most other kick pads I ever tried, so I don't really use it. A few days ago i tried using the padded back of my laptop backpack as a makeshift kick pad and it worked pretty well in fact, no excessive rebound and a pretty natural feel.

That's really cool mate. I find it a shame it doesn't quite work for you. If you reduced the level of padding (maybe one ply of foam instead of two), would that help to acheive a more realistic feel?

In that picture the pedal is clamped to the pad...

...how did you clamp the pedal to the laptop bag?
I didn't, I just propped the bag against a coffee table. The pedal doesn't move because of its floor spikes and the bag doesn't move because of the table. It was mostly for experiment, but I might use the setup from time to time in the future.

That's really cool mate. I find it a shame it doesn't quite work for you. If you reduced the level of padding (maybe one ply of foam instead of two), would that help to acheive a more realistic feel?
I've tried out a lot of different combinations with various combinations of layers of different foam rubber materials, silicone, faux leather and other materials, but I never found anything remotely close to the (lack of) rebound of a very loosely tuned kick drum head. This is hardly surprising though, since there is no kick practice pad that I know of on the market which actually feels close to such a loose kick head.

Back