classic tall hoops?

Funky Crêpe

Silver Member
I was looking at a 1968 rogers drum kit a few minutes ago. and the description said that there were classic tall hoops on the snare, are these just a type of hoop, or are they actuallya greater distance from the head??

and while i am uploading the pictures, can bass drum mounts like that be easily adjusted? because it seems as though they can only go outwards, in other words rotate, not drop down?

Attachments

• rogersn6.jpg
    rogersn6.jpg
    575.4 KB · Views: 158
  • rogersn20.jpg
    rogersn20.jpg
    423.1 KB · Views: 159
I'm not too sure about the bass drum thing, but the snare thing I've noticed as well. I play with a main and a side snare. The snare that came with the kit and all of the other drums have pretty "level" hoops in relations to the bearing edge. But my main snare is a cheap Tama I picked up and I noticed right away that the hoops were about 3-5mm higher than the bearing edge. Not a big fan of the rim shot I get off of that drum.

I was also able to find this. It's on Pg 148.
http://books.google.com/books?id=Sn...v=onepage&q=tall triple flanged hoops&f=false

I'm not too sure about the bass drum thing, but the snare thing I've noticed as well. I play with a main and a side snare. The snare that came with the kit and all of the other drums have pretty "level" hoops in relations to the bearing edge. But my main snare is a cheap Tama I picked up and I noticed right away that the hoops were about 3-5mm higher than the bearing edge. Not a big fan of the rim shot I get off of that drum.

I was also able to find this. It's on Pg 148.
http://books.google.com/books?id=Sn...v=onepage&q=tall triple flanged hoops&f=false

thanks for the link man! Damn, and i really liked the look of it, this is a real newbie question from a not so newbie drummer ( because i have only had one kit)....i can easily change the hoop right? There does'nt have to be any special model or anything, does there?

I'm guessing it wouldn't be a problem. I'm quite the newb myself, so I just sat their and complained about my hoops not being level to myself. Hell, I didn't even know there were such a thing as "tall" hoops.

I'm guessing it wouldn't be a problem. I'm quite the newb myself, so I just sat their and complained about my hoops not being level to myself. Hell, I didn't even know there were such a thing as "tall" hoops.

i have been playing for 11 years....i had only ever heard the umbrella term hoops!

I was looking at a 1968 rogers drum kit a few minutes ago. and the description said that there were classic tall hoops on the snare, are these just a type of hoop, or are they actuallya greater distance from the head??

and while i am uploading the pictures, can bass drum mounts like that be easily adjusted? because it seems as though they can only go outwards, in other words rotate, not drop down?

Hi Bos,

Are you sure of the vintage of that kit? The tall hoops were replace in the early '60's. Also, the lugs on the kit are called "bread & butter" and were also replaced in the early 60's with "beaver tail" lugs. The B&B lugs cracked under high tensioning.

The hoops can be replaced.

I not sure if I understand you question about the tom mount. But, it is very adjustable. Also, the mounting post, can retract into the bass drum, so the tom can be lowered more than what you see.

On the mount....... it is amazingly adjustable. I have three kits with that hardware.

On the drums themselves....... dont buy that kit (if you are looking to buy).
The drums were made between 1960 and 1963. Those are bread and butter lugs, prone to breaking under tension.
Tall hoops were in use during the calf days and the early days of mylar drumheads. Rogers discontinued their use around 1964.

The kit pictured is a tower configuration. The Rogers Tower series used the same shells as the famed Rogers Holiday series, the difference were those double ended lugs center mounted on the shell.

On the mount....... it is amazingly adjustable. I have three kits with that hardware.

The drums were made between 1960 and 1963. Those are bread and butter lugs, prone to breaking under tension.
Tall hoops were in use during the calf days and the early days of mylar drumheads. Rogers discontinued their use around 1964.

The kit pictured is a tower configuration. The Rogers Tower series used the same shells as the famed Rogers Holiday series, the difference were those double ended lugs center mounted on the shell.

Mr. Ploughman,

I knew you would show up sooner or later. Your desciption was better than mine. I'll study some more.

-R

a no no on the kit so buddy? i suppose iw as just attracted to the finish, i found it hard to find any sound clips of this series....well replacing the hoops and lugs would'nt be too bad, any recomendations on the shells themselves? You seem to know a bit about vintage kits!

Back