Suggestions for a Flat Ride?

Baggers

Hey everyone,

On the hunt for a flat ride, I play a lot of jazz, latin even funk and fusion music and just got paid - its finally time to get my hands on a nice flat ride.

After something with a really warm dry stick which has more of a 'tah' sound rather than a 'ping' if that makes sense.

I have my eye on a 22" Bosphorus Master Vintage Flat Ride but just wanted to see what else was out there so any suggestions would be great thanks!

-Baggers

You might want to check out the Zildjian K Light Ride. I use one to the right of my main ride.

It has all the things you are looking for. The only drawback I could think of is it may not be loud enough in some situations. But I mostly play in a jazz trio or quartet so it's usually not a problem.

If you do a search on Youtube for the cymbal you will find some of the MyCymbal.com guys playing a couple of them.

I added a 3 rivet cluster to mine for a little sizzle. It actually crashes really well too.

Hi Baggers!

I tried both the Bosphorus 22" Master Vintage Flat Ride and the Istanbul Mehmet Turk 20" Flat Ride this past weekend. Both provided great stick definition with few overtones and virtually no sustain. This may be the sound you seek. I was looking for a primary ride with a full range of tones so I passed on these. Either would be great as a secondary ride and man oh man do they look wonderful!

Croc

I have two flat rides. A 20" K Custom Flat and and a 20" A Custom Flat.

The K has a warm "woody" sound while the A has a brighter, shimmering sound, more pingy.

Both are wonderful.

If you are after a Flat ride you need to go with the originator Paiste. The reissue 602 20" Medium flat ride is the epitome of the flat ride sound. Crystalline,delicate, beautiful stick sound. Nice crash too.

You might want to check out the Zildjian K Light Ride. I use one to the right of my main ride.

It has all the things you are looking for. The only drawback I could think of is it may not be loud enough in some situations. But I mostly play in a jazz trio or quartet so it's usually not a problem.

If you do a search on Youtube for the cymbal you will find some of the MyCymbal.com guys playing a couple of them.

I added a 3 rivet cluster to mine for a little sizzle. It actually crashes really well too.

+1 on this. I have a 20" K Light Flat Ride and it's beautiful, mesmerising...

Dutch

I would encourage you to try the K Light Flat. It does the "tah" thing and has a nice, warm hum of a wash that sits there beneath the action. Easily controlled, but not a loud cymbal.

I got mine used for $200. I think I'm keeping it for the long haul.

Sabian make an 18" Crystal Flat Ride. I almost bought one - they sound amazing, and they're fairly close to affordable.

Back