Dream Theater's new drummer is MIKE MANGINI

Re: Dream Theater's new drummer

Yeah, I did fine. I wouldn't change anything......but, then again....I didn't feel that gig was right for me anyway....from the very beginning.
I was very busy during that time period....only had a few weeks to learn a 20 minute song, a ballad, and a tech song with 30 part changes within the space of 3 minutes! Haha.
That all went well.....
We jammed a little while....was cool but, the environment (in ears, video, etc...) didn't lend itself to a lot of creative moments...plus the fact that these guys we're trying to "jam" in odd times, etc....
Then they threw some riffs at me to see how quickly I could spit out complex stuff.

Now this...was fun but, at the same time....I could tell that they were looking for a dude that will come in....and record an entire record in the studio...on the spot.

I've never wanted to work that way..... as I believe that if the business (need to put out a record quickly) over trumps the musical vision (taking time and creating the best you can)
then that ultimately directs where the band ends up in the future.

I like to sit on riffs for a few days.... at least and create the best possible part (as opposed to the automatic one)

All good though, like I said...was a load of fun and made some great friends out of it.

D

I gotta say that letting the fans decide, and letting them trump who the band might prefer as their drummer seems a little... idk... weak, I guess. What is this, American Idol?

That sort of dovetails with letting the business end trump the musical vision end. Doesn't quite sit right with me - classic tail wagging the dog.

But then again, I've never been a DT fan.

Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with that.......that's the way most bands work.

I guess once you start touring to that level...that's your only option as people live too far away, etc....

I understand that but, it wouldn't be the way I wanted to work musically.
At least to the level of "changing my life" over it.

D

I just wanted to say congratulations on the invite. That would be amazing. I am still waiting for the call from RUSH. :) Only problem is I would not want Neil to quit.

As far as picking a guy for the fans, most fans apparently want Mike back, an option the band turned down when Mike apparently tried to come back or work out a compromise. Which is whatever, they have their reasons.

As for being honest, they could just say "hey, we can't announce it yet due to legal reasons" but instead they made this big deal about they will reveal the audition process on April 21, and so today they release a video that comes off more like a bad episode of reality TV or a soap opera, all with out actually revealing anything they hadn't previously announced.

The band previously announced auditions were last November, they announced in January they recored the album with the new guy. So what purpose was making a video 3 months laster explaining the previous announced auditions took place?

It cheapens the image of the band. They've gone from top of the prog world to American Idol wanna-bes.

Hey!

First of all I want to make it very clear as Derek wrote too, there were NO hidden deals or whatever leading up to the auditions. I (and I guess all the other drummers) was treated impeccable! I was very aware of what was coming and there were no new details at the audition.

Second, I have to agree with you Derek again that my wife and myself laughed hard too after getting sked to do the audition!!! It was just surreal to me, ha ha ha... :-D

To me, coming from Sweden and working a normal daytime job, seeing the list with the other six drummers made me laugh even harder. I mean all the other guys are my idols! The best thing with the auditions is that I got in contact with all these amazing drummers and they are the coolest guys ever. :)

I've made a long diary in swedish with my thoughts, facts etc. leading up to the auditions that will be published in a swedish drumming magazine soon. I'm working on getting this translated into english asap if anyone are interested.

Cheers and Stay Metal!!!
Peter Wildoer

where is the video they released?

The video is on the official Dream Theater Facebook site. Like them, and you can watch it. I saw it on YouTube but they deleted it.

The video is on the official Dream Theater Facebook site. Like them, and you can watch it. I saw it on YouTube but they deleted it.

ah, crap. I guess won't see this damned video then. I'm not on Facebook, on purpose.

ah, crap. I guess won't see this damned video then. I'm not on Facebook, on purpose.

I hear you, I didn't join either for the longest but a lot of friends (musicians) said it was great for promotion and that's how I use it.

You can also see it on youtube, if it hasn't been pulled yet.

Hey!

First of all I want to make it very clear as Derek wrote too, there were NO hidden deals or whatever leading up to the auditions. I (and I guess all the other drummers) was treated impeccable! I was very aware of what was coming and there were no new details at the audition.

Second, I have to agree with you Derek again that my wife and myself laughed hard too after getting sked to do the audition!!! It was just surreal to me, ha ha ha... :-D

To me, coming from Sweden and working a normal daytime job, seeing the list with the other six drummers made me laugh even harder. I mean all the other guys are my idols! The best thing with the auditions is that I got in contact with all these amazing drummers and they are the coolest guys ever. :)

I've made a long diary in swedish with my thoughts, facts etc. leading up to the auditions that will be published in a swedish drumming magazine soon. I'm working on getting this translated into english asap if anyone are interested.

Cheers and Stay Metal!!!
Peter Wildoer

Hey Peter!

Great job on Static Impulse! I actually thought that album sounded more "Dream Theater" than the last two actual Dream Theater albums.

Now I need to go and check out your other work.

Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with that.......that's the way most bands work.

I guess once you start touring to that level...that's your only option as people live too far away, etc....

I understand that but, it wouldn't be the way I wanted to work musically.
At least to the level of "changing my life" over it.

D

thanks for giving us an the inside look Derek......

are you still with Meinl?

I have been in discussions with Stephan for about a year

Last edited:

Hey Peter!

Great job on Static Impulse! I actually thought that album sounded more "Dream Theater" than the last two actual Dream Theater albums.

Now I need to go and check out your other work.

Hey!

Glad you like Static Impulse! I'm updating the discography section of my website right now so perhaps take a look there within the next few days to check what I recorded? :)

Cheers and happy Easter!
Peter

watched that vid ... did I see aquiles priester in that vid?

i've had enough of this jerking us around thing .. why aren't they telling us whats with the long dumb wait

Hey!

Cheers and Stay Metal!!!
Peter Wildoer

Peter,
Hope all is well with you. I, for one, would be immensely interested in your translated journal (Google Translator only helps so much). Perhaps your notes on preparation, mindset, etc would be an asset to those of us aspiring to "break" into the business. Also, I'd be excited just to get your perspective of the whole ordeal. Congratulations on the invite, I'd say that's a huge nod of approval from the guys in Dream Theater and it will serve you well going forward.

Mr Castiglioni,
Can we please get a "Drummerworld Pro Drummer" tag for Mr. Wildoer?!

AJ

Hey!

Glad you like Static Impulse! I'm updating the discography section of my website right now so perhaps take a look there within the next few days to check what I recorded? :)

Cheers and happy Easter!
Peter

wow! that's great stuff! i wasn't familiar with the static impulse album, but i listened to a song and i like it a lot!

I am not a huge DT fan so I love the drama with all this. I know it must be hard on the people that love the band, and can't wait for them to get going again.

I really liked the video of the guys going to try out. It will be cool to see more of the process. Most of us will never as drummers experience this kind of high level try out. I would be nervous as heck. :) Guess if I was better at my craft I wouldn't be. I really wish DT was looking for a new singer as well. Just don't like that guy. Just my opinion.

Back