Picked up some ATLAS mounts and other goodies.

I haven't used mine yet, tomorrow night will be the test. But I had a lot of experience with them at NAMM - I'm the one who tunes all the drums in Ludwig's booth - and they do make the toms sing. I doubt I'll miss the RIMS at all, and certainly won't miss the hassle involved changing heads!

They work well on floor toms, but they really stick out. Not a problem for kits that rarely get transported, but they necessitate larger bags/cases for those who move their gear. But changing from RIMS, the Atlas mount actually sticks out less, so rack toms are the prime candidate for these.

Bermuda

Thanks Jon, that is my impression too. I am not sold on them for floor toms and bass drum spurs. I also can't see my bass drum and floor toms loaded with them for cymbal holder mounts, floor tom legs, and that whacky high tom rail. (Keep in mind that I use Gibraltar bass drum mounted cymbal holders and rail type mounts from both Ludwig and Gibraltar on several of my kits.)

I'll be watching for your comments, Jon. I want this 13" to sing like a canary.

To be devils advocate though - what was so wrong with the old modular mounts? You could stack all kinds of toms on your bass drum and jack your car up with it - remember those days? Who cares about resonance? The drums in the 80s sang....sort of....those were the days, my friends!

To be devils advocate though - what was so wrong with the old modular mounts? You could stack all kinds of toms on your bass drum and jack your car up with it - remember those days? Who cares about resonance? The drums in the 80s sang....sort of....those were the days, my friends!

Sing...

19789999.jpg

Man, everyone gets these things before I do!

Well, I did finally get some mounts, and am changing over my RIMS on all of my rack toms. Here's a before & after:

atlasmount.jpg

Nice & clean look, and they take up a little less space than the RIMS. As with old school shell mounts, I can change heads while the drum is mounted. As predicted, they've included inserts that allow the mount to work with 3/8" and 10.5mm posts (and of course today's common 12.7mm.)

Bermuda

Bermuda, how is the tom sound now, using Atlas, compared to your old RIMS ? Were those the Vibrabands with the Ludwig bracket ? I have a new Vistalite kit with Vibrabands, and the bracket is really wimpy. It doesn't reliably hold my 13" rack tom. I am also wondering if this new Atlas bracket is more heavy-duty and strong than the old wimpy Ludwig bracket.

Bermuda, how is the tom sound now, using Atlas, compared to your old RIMS ? Were those the Vibrabands with the Ludwig bracket ? I have a new Vistalite kit with Vibrabands, and the bracket is really wimpy. It doesn't reliably hold my 13" rack tom. I am also wondering if this new Atlas bracket is more heavy-duty and strong than the old wimpy Ludwig bracket.

It looks like Bermuda's rims style mount has the Ludwig "keystone" bracket. Does yours have the "classic" bracket? I'm not a fan of those.

Yes, you are correct - his RIMS bracket is not the same as what I have. Mine appear to be the classic bracket. Yeah, not too impressed with them : (

How do you know this Karl ?

Because I've had the toms on RIMS, and tried the ATLAS and it sounds better :)

I only use one tom now, and the set up doesn't need for me to mount the tom off a cymbal stand anymore, otherwise I'd be out a few $$ re-fitting about 6 toms....eesh.

I have the tom in a snare basket (with rubber basket clamps), but I use the 'Lil Booty Shakers on it, and the tom sings like it does when you hold a drum with your fingers by the rim. Those things are great!

The ATLAS mount is not wimpy at all. It's pretty dang heavy duty. It will move a little bit because of the suspension design, so it's not just a huge static block holding the tom.

I bought Atlas hardware last year when I bought my ludwig Epic kit last fall. I picked up 2 scissor mounts to mount a couple more cymbals. This stuff is ingenious. Maybe some day I'll be able to stop the RIMS mounts but otherwise these mounts are so convenient to mounting other cymbals. The versatility of them with 3 different pivots on them is amazing.

Back