The legendary Steve Gadd

Great to watch but not to hear? What am I doing with all these CDs then?!?

Unemployed though? That's interesting. I can listen to an MP3 of Virgil Donati (or Vinnie or Weckl or any drummer) and be completely blown away by some of the stuff he's doing. I don't need to see anything to realize and understand that's some crazy stuff happening with those hands and feet. Maybe I've been playing drums too long or you aren't listening...

Maybe your right. You have much more experience than me.

I didnt want to insult anyone, sorry(Especially Wekl-his teaching material is very good-the 13,"Applied to snare" accents boost the tehnique heavilly!)

But still-Gadd's sweat playing touches my hearth. Chokes, speed, world records don't impress me.

OK you are right. But Gadd isnt my favorite drummer, it is just that we are talking about him here. There are many good drummers but some just dont know how to use their brain when playing.

Maybe I shoudn't write bad things about any musucian, I respect their hard work-I am still learning by the best drum teacher in Bulgaria-Nikolai Tonchev.

Cobham was here is Bulgaria one month ago and I was happy to see him play live because much of the methods I am learning from are his.

Hey have you seen Dave's 13 accents? And I do not want to boast mysef but at the moment Wekl is practicing from a paradiddle textbook which I am learning from.

Sorry I didn't mean to insult anyone.

Peace!

It's ok, Marin. I don't think we were insulted. Just respectfully disagree. Some of us say that being "subjective"(using the words greatest or best ever) shouldn't happen on this forum. I agree and disagree with this but I don't want to get into a LONG discussion about it. It would serve no purpose. In this thread, anyway. But thanks for sharing your story. Take Care and Play On!

Great to watch but not to hear? What am I doing with all these CDs then?!?

Unemployed though? That's interesting. I can listen to an MP3 of Virgil Donati (or Vinnie or Weckl or any drummer) and be completely blown away by some of the stuff he's doing. I don't need to see anything to realize and understand that's some crazy stuff happening with those hands and feet. Maybe I've been playing drums too long or you aren't listening...

Hey mlehnertz. Guess who? Hee...hee...I agree with you 100%. Those guys are impressive to "hear" as much as see! No doubt. Good to hear from you. Play On!

Gadd´s licks did get a hell of attention from me! :)
Awesome drummer!

Steve Gadd plays at the Blue Note New York.
Who was on his concerts at the Blue Note Jazz Club in New York City?
Please send some pictures.

Gadd was my first drumming idol, and anyone is yet to surpass him. Even though he uses his instantly recognizable signature grooves, fills and licks in almost every song, he always manages to sound fresh and exciting. It's sort of like listening to Grandpa's pleasant voice telling old, tens of times told stories over and over again, and you never get bored of them...

GADD is the only drummer I know who doesnt make gymnastics on the set(Look how fast I can! Watch me, I can do 1200 single strokes in a minute!). Those things arent music-where is the music in 1200 strokes.

Why GADD is so good? OK, hear the solo of him, Vinnie and Dave but close your eyes. Dave and Vinnie are pleasant to watch but not to hear. GADD owns the show!!!

MUSIC is for the ears only!

If all people go blind, drummers like Virgil Donati or Assaf will get unemployed, Gadd will be the only one with a job.

DO YOU ALL NOW UNDERSTAND???!!!

that's funny.....i found vinnie to be a great extension of gadd's drumming. if i could sum his style up in 2 influences i would definitely say gadd and tony williams. vinnie will never be short of work.....

Steve Gadd plays at the Blue Note New York.
Who was on his concerts at the Blue Note Jazz Club in New York City?
Please send some pictures.

Jarek, I'm going tomorrow night (eeeeeeeeek!) and trust me I'll be reporting whatever is worth reporting back here. And I'll take pictures, but I only have a cell phone camera. I'll try and get my buddy to bring his. Actually yeah I'm sure we'll both be taking tons of pictures. By Monday or Tuesday they'll be up!

Chick and Steve here I come YAHH!!

WOW this was a night to remember. I got to shake Steve's hand! But yes, I've washed it since..

So my friend said he's never had any problems getting a reservation on the spot at the Blue Note before, so we didn't, and instead showed up two hours early to the first show (of two), only to find that everything was taken up and we'd be in the non-reservation standing-room-only area in the waay back of the place. So we decided "ok, we'll kill some time and go to the later one instead and make sure we're first in line for the non-res seats at the bar." But as it turned out, there was a party of 3 guys in the reservation line who had two friends back out last minute, and they offered us the spots. But the best part was that they were first in their line, so all of the sudden we go from our chances of a decent view being bleak to getting first pick at ANY table in the place. Needless to say, we got some darn good seats and views, although Gadd had music stands set up that blocked views of his hands and torso.

Taking to the stage

Chick introducing his wife and singer, Gayle Moran
dscf0028sf7.jpg

Steve listening to Chick tell a somewhat funny joke

About the show: Everybody was in top form, and there just isn't much else to say. Pretty much we got what we were expecting. Chick, Steve, Anthony, Frank and Ravi blended together incredibly well, almost to the point that it recreated on the spot the magic of the original recordings. My friend I went with commented midway through the night, "remember how we wanted to see a video of them recording this stuff?" The set list was:

Love Castle
Waltz for Dave
Soft and Gentle
Sicily
Hymn From the 7th Galaxy
--fake ending--
Nite Sprite
Leprechaun's Dream, parts 1 and 2
and Hymn again

Steve was in top form. In recent times he's been playing very very simple beats a lot of the time (granted he's not exactly playing much jazz fusion anymore), and although some of his parts were streamlined from what he did 30 years ago, he was just as much going all out and getting really loud! Man when he plays forte, he plays quadruple-forte! he played some slight variations off of what we've all heard before, which was nice because it shows that he's still finding new tricks within his vocabulary.

But then his solo came along near the end of Sicily, and holy cow.. both my friend (who is a bassist who's heard more Gadd than me!) and I agreed that it was one of his best solos.. EVER. It was very very very very goodness. Assuming that version of sicily makes it to the DVD (blue note's 25th anniversary), I will guarantee that it will become known as one of his best.

After the first playing of Hymn, the band made it seem like that was it, although of course we knew it wasn't. But they were talking amongst themselves as to what to play, to which I screamed "NITE SPRITE," which led to others shouting out in agreement, and sure enough they played it. Gadd got another long solo in that, which although I don't remember as well, I know it was very very good also.

After that Chick let us know that the band had been a bit unrefined in their execution of the next song, Leprechaun's Dream, and who can blame them? They were playing the full thing, fermadas and all (but no strings..that was done on a synth). Steve was late on one hit in the beginning of Pt 1 and Chick gave a big smile his way. Gadd also tuned his snare up in the middle of the song without moving the beat one bit. But then at the beginning of Pt 2, Steve got to go into another solo, which he played in a marching style. That was the longest of the night and was just as impressive as the first two. I don't remember much of what he played, other than he was doing some tom-double-bass fills I'd never seen/heard him do before.

So yeah.. stick a fork in me 'cause I'm done. The best show I've seen in my life.

Wow. Lucky. I would love to see Steve Gadd play live, but i doubt he is comin down to DC any time soon. If he is, i better not miss the oppurtunity. I wouldve loved to be in your shoes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent KzSgDrummer! Thanks SO much for these pics! Wow! And a fantastic review to boot! Man, they did Nite Sprite? What a tune, huh? Well Done, and am glad you got to go to that show at the Blue Note. Musta' been mesmerizing. Yea, I'd have been hesitant to wash my hand after pressin' flesh with Sir Gadd! Thanks again and Play On!

Steve Gadd

I watched a Tribute to James Taylor on public TV last nite. Many big stars doing James Taylor from the past, and Steve Gadd was doing his usual great job on the tubs. The man will never cease to amaze me. Really in the pocket and plays effortlessly but sounds like he has four arms. Good Stuff.

Re: Steve Gadd

Only he could make drums that dead sound musical.

People often whine about "that 70's sound" or single headed drums.

Steves drums are as dead as Joey Jordinsons, yet they serve perfectly without needing 6 seconds of sustain.

That is why Steve is the Master.
What's in style will be out of style
What's out of style will be in style.
Muffled drums, open drums.
4 piece kits, 5 piece plus kits.
You get the picture.
Steve Gadd ALWAYS in style!

I watched a Tribute to James Taylor on public TV last nite. Many big stars doing James Taylor from the past, and Steve Gadd was doing his usual great job on the tubs. The man will never cease to amaze me. Really in the pocket and plays effortlessly but sounds like he has four arms. Good Stuff.

Probably only us drummers knew there was a drummer legend playing in that tribute. I only caught a few tunes. I loved what he did when Keith Urban played. Jammin'!!

Yea, I'm gonna wanna see that JT tribute on PT. Bet it's pretty good. It's gotta be with Gadd on the skins. Thanks for the heads-up Gruntersdad! Play On! ;-)

Hello,

Steve Gadd will be play with Joe Sample at the Blue Note New York in January 9-14.
Do you go on this concert?

Jarek

Back