New Drummer, Single or Double Pedal?

jonhendrix86

I've just purchased a decent Roland e-kit, but I need a bass pedal. So should I start out with a single bass pedal, or just go ahead and buy a double bass pedal? I'm not sure where to begin, I plan on starting lessons soon. Thanks!

If you are certain that you will moving on to the double eventually, buy a double. Put the slave pedal in the case or a closet until time you are proficient with the single then hook the double back up and learn the left side,(righty drummer) You could learn both at once but if you are new to drumming you may want to work on a tight groove before you go for any more speed.

If you are certain that you will moving on to the double eventually, buy a double. Put the slave pedal in the case or a closet until time you are proficient with the single then hook the double back up and learn the left side,(righty drummer) You could learn both at once but if you are new to drumming you may want to work on a tight groove before you go for any more speed.

Good idea. Another thing, since this is an e-drum kick were talking about, how far to I have to stretch my dollars on a good pedal, since really all the pedal is doing is touching a trigger, so its not relying on quality acoustics. I still want a good feeling pedal that I can learn my footwork on.

I would go with single unless you know you will need a double. Look at what style you want to play and if you won't need a double, just go single.

As is always said, your foot determines which pedal to get. They're like shoes, you get the one that you like, just make sure to try them all on. The mechanics of the pedal are the same regardless of what you're using it on, and it's you using it, so it still has to stand up to the general abuse it would normally get anyway. I think if you wanted a good double pedal, then that means you're spending at least $400 for a DW5002 or a Tama Iron Cobra double, or a Yamaha double....you get it.

But if you've never been playing before, I fail to see the logic in getting the double first. You still need to learn how to play, and alot of the basic stuff does not require a double pedal. You may even find that once you start playing with people (after you've been playing for a while) you don't use the double pedal as much as you thought.

I say get a good solid single, learn how to max it out, and then let the music you play determine if you need a double or not. Since you don't know (how could you know?) for now just learn how to play.

You should probably listen to your favorite music that you'd like to play and see if it can't be done with one pedal. Alot of great music was played with a single bass drum pedal. Seek it out.

I would suggest that you get a single only, as you WILL be tempted to play a double if you buy one. Learning to play a double from day one will hold back your ability and progress on a single. Dave Weckle learnt on a single first

Learn to be very good on a single first, you should be able to get up to very quick speeds on a single. If you then want to progress into a music styles that needs a double then buy it then but not before. 90% of music styles do not need a double.

But if you've never been playing before, I fail to see the logic in getting the double first. You still need to learn how to play, and alot of the basic stuff does not require a double pedal. You may even find that once you start playing with people (after you've been playing for a while) you don't use the double pedal as much as you thought.

I say get a good solid single, learn how to max it out, and then let the music you play determine if you need a double or not. Since you don't know (how could you know?) for now just learn how to play.

Bo's advice makes a lot of sense, I would learn the basics using a single pedal, so you're not tempted to overlook the role of the hi-hat pedal, if you feel later on that the music you'll play requires a double pedal you can buy one then.

However, double pedal or double bass drums do not suit every music style, and with a decent mastering of a single pedal, you can achieve a lot of pattern, incidentally, I gave up the double pedal a couple years a go, after using them (or double bass drums) for about 28 years or so, but I found nowadays, that my style and approach do not require a double pedal and I can cover all the music I play with a single pedal.

Listen to a lot of great players who use a single pedal, the pattern they play are amazing, guys like Keith Carlock or Jojo Mayer are laying down some very challenging down beat with their single kick pedal.

One other tip- if your bass drum pad is mesh, make sure the beater on your pedal is plastic/ wood but not felt!

Thanks for the advice, I think I will stick with a single for now. I am really into Jimmy Chamberlin, Daney Carey, Mitch Mitchell, Terry Bozio, and I really liked Antonio Sanchez's work with Pat Metheny Trio. I believe that Chamberlin intentionally stayed away from double bass pedals until later in his career.

Thanks for the advice, I think I will stick with a single for now. I am really into Jimmy Chamberlin, Daney Carey, Mitch Mitchell, Terry Bozio, and I really liked Antonio Sanchez's work with Pat Metheny Trio. I believe that Chamberlin intentionally stayed away from double bass pedals until later in his career.
Fair enough- there are pro's and con's for each.
If you go straight to the double pedal you may become over-reliant on it, on the other hand (if you decide to switch to the double down the track) you may find your left foot is slightly weaker than your right after years of playing a single!

Fair enough- there are pro's and con's for each.
If you go straight to the double pedal you may become over-reliant on it, on the other hand (if you decide to switch to the double down the track) you may find your left foot is slightly weaker than your right after years of playing a single!

That's why you start playing left footed. :D

double pedals are the way to go for me. thats what i learned on, and in my opinion it makes your musical palette a little bigger. the only thing that i can say negatively about them, is that if your in a situation where you only have one pedal, your left leg will feel a little useless. but if your trying to get into metal or hardcore or things like that, doubles are the way to go.

Definitely go single first, that way you build up your strength on the main foot and can do doubles on one foot. Gotta start with the basics, once you get that then you'll be able to hop into double's and play some pretty cool stuff. Just my 2 cents

Personally I wish I started with a double pedal. I have four bass drums now and only use one with a double pedal set-up. What the heck am I supposed to do with these 3 extra bass drums?!?!?!

I used a single pedal for about 47 years. Then I found out that I would have to have surgery on my right foot, so it was time for me to purchase a double pedal. I still have the double pedal but it doesn't get used very much for anything other than exercise.

Dennis

I've just purchased a decent Roland e-kit, but I need a bass pedal. So should I start out with a single bass pedal, or just go ahead and buy a double bass pedal? I'm not sure where to begin, I plan on starting lessons soon. Thanks!

It's a very similar question to, "I'm just getting started and should I get a 10-piece set or a 4 piece set?"

I'd stay away from the double for now. Learn the basics of snare, hats, ride and bass. The left foot should first learn its role in things like timekeeping and working with the hands via the hats, be they open or closed.

Aside from a few genres of music, there is very little use for double pedaling, except to annoy bandmates and drive an audience from a room. Focus on the basics, discover yourself and your styles and then add gegaws as you progress. Double pedaling will take time away from more basic things at this early stage of your playing.

Back