Best snare head for high end response?

I've been playing for years and been through a million heads and seem to favor remo coated lines .....curious if you guys have opinions on getting that crisp , "feathering" high end eq out of any particular heads?

Many snare heads seem out of the gate mid rangy and dull to the ear ....looking for high end response coupled with low end that gives that comfortable ghost note we all love. Opinions appreciated ....

Thanks guys

Yamaha Recording Custom Birch 14x8
Yamaha SD-493 14x3.5
Yamaha SD-4340 13x4
Yamaha Musashi 13x6.5
OCDP Bell Brass 14x6.5
Pork Pie Piglite Amber Acrylic 13x7
Pork Pie Maple 13x4
Ludwig Black Beauty 14x5
DW Maple 14x5

Last edited:
My favorite sensitive snare head is the Aquarian Texture Coated. A simple one-ply head always has an open sound, that is responsive under the stick, and can give a full range of frequencies. Tuning may be your problem, if you've tried lots of heads. A single ply can be swampy or desert dry depending on tuning.

My favorite for warm and sensitive is the Evans Strata 1000. Close to calf skin, very sensitive when tuned up. Warmer when low to medium tuning.

I have used the Strata and The Evans line of Genera Dry heads..

My favorite sensitive snare head is the Aquarian Texture Coated. A simple one-ply head always has an open sound, that is responsive under the stick, and can give a full range of frequencies. Tuning may be your problem, if you've tried lots of heads. A single ply can be swampy or desert dry depending on tuning.

I'll second the use of the Aquarian Texture Coated for that sound. I can usually get a good enough high end response from any good quality 1 ply head. My current 2 favorites are the Aquarian texture coated and the Remo G14.

I like Remo Coated Ambassadors and they're very bright and crisp. I've never loved the low end too much though. Maybe just my tuning. :)

I have to third the Evans Genera Dry.............my favorite, but may be too dry for some.

I played an Aquarian "Jack DeJohnette" the other day and was pretty impressed...........going to try one on my next head change

Back