Todd Sucherman here!

Leadfoot--

Thanks, I will!

AndrewL---

Thanks, man. I appreciate the kind words!

The snare I used on "Blue Collar Man 2120" version was a Pearl Ultra Cast with the snares off. We just went for some ambiance and anything that was done to the sound was from our engineer, Gary Loizzo. There was nothing special as I remember. It was just the sound of the room and the overall vibe. That was recorded at the old Chess Records (now a museum) where lots of Chuck Berry, Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters, Willy Dixon stuff was done.

Styx's keyboardist for the last 9 years is Lawrence Gowan, indeed from Toronto. He had many gold and platinum records in Canada (as "Gowan") in the 80s and had players like Jerry Marotta and Tony Levin play on much of his stuff. He was selling out arenas on his own in Canada back then. (I'm guessing you're a really young dude if you don't remember!)

Cool---

Off to run some errands. Check in with you guys later-

Todd

spleen--

I just had a party at the house during PASIC and was honored to have Skip Hadden as one of my guests--and we got to play together in the drum room. It had been over 20 years! As well, I saw Ian Froman for the first time in 20 years at the MD Fest---about 5 minutes before I began my segment. A cosmic trip indeed--and it was great to catch up with him later in the day. Both were very different players and teachers, and I learned much from them. Sounds like you had positive experiences too.
Thanks again!

Hey Todd,

How cool that you reconnected with Skip and Ian after 20 years! I imagine it must be thrilling for them to see your success and to know some about the journey your playing has taken you on so far.

My best friend and I were huge into Weather Report before we went to Berklee together (years later, my friend actually ended up becoming friends with Joe Zawinul and his family) so I sought out Skip. His "laid back" way of being was a good fit for me and I have fond memories of playing his kit with the two flat rides angled up on boom stands.

Re: Ian, I hadn't heard of him before Berklee but I really dug his playing and his intensity. He turned me on to Elvin (of course ) and Jack in a big way which, along with his playing, opened up new worlds for me in so many ways.

Hey man, take care and thanks for making yourself available to us here on the forum!

spleen

Spleen---

Ah, Skips double flat rides!

It really was a thrill to reconnect with both of them. Warm fuzzies all around....and life can surprise you with "full circle" elements. Ian and Skip were both wonderful and warm---I feel nothing but love for those guys! I'm gonna try to insert a pic of Skip and I, but it might not work as I'm a bit of a computer moron in many respects. Hope it works....
(If the pic works, thats myself, Skip, Johnny Rabb on the other kit. Gavin Harrison was on the 4th--not pictured!)

I'm happy to hear that you have the same regard for those two amazing players and true gentlemen.

Todd

Attachments

• TS-Skip-Rabb.jpg
    TS-Skip-Rabb.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 931
Todd,

Just finished watching your DVD. It was great. You gave me lots of great ideas to work on. I'm 55 and have always had trouble with putting the rudiments into a musical place. I,e, how am I supposed to use a para-diddle other than a warm up. It won't be easy for this old guy with my old habits but you gave me a clear picture, a place to start.

Love the kit and the layout of the location.

Thanks again for the great work and hope to see you in the Boston area soon.

Pete

2bsticks---

Thanks for your feedback. I'm happy to hear that my efforts are proving helpful to you. Take all those rudiments, hybrid rudiments, compound stickings and let your imagination run wild using the templates I played----changing orchestrations and note rates. Keep it up!

Hope to be through Boston sometime in the summer.

Cheers-
Todd

Spleen---

Ah, Skips double flat rides!

It really was a thrill to reconnect with both of them. Warm fuzzies all around....and life can surprise you with "full circle" elements. Ian and Skip were both wonderful and warm---I feel nothing but love for those guys! I'm gonna try to insert a pic of Skip and I, but it might not work as I'm a bit of a computer moron in many respects. Hope it works....
(If the pic works, thats myself, Skip, Johnny Rabb on the other kit. Gavin Harrison was on the 4th--not pictured!)

I'm happy to hear that you have the same regard for those two amazing players and true gentlemen.

Todd

Todd,

Yes, I've had a few of those "full circle" experiences as well and they are usually unlike anything you ever could have expected. And wow, what a great pic--thanks for sharing it!

Very cool, you, Skip, Johnny Rabb, and Gavin--I'm curious to know (if you don't mind sharing), what were you guys playing???

spleen

spleen---

If my memory serves me, we started out playing swing time. Then different people were popping up on the kits including John Favicchia and Derek Roddy, Bobby Jarzonbek.......then we were playing time and trading 8s around the horn. It was a blast indeed! It was a party, and beverages were involved in the proceedings.

If I may do a little holiday plugging here.....from another post and from my latest Myspace blog. I'm humbled and thrilled with the reviews the DVD "Methods and Mechanics has been receiving. Especially the beautiful letter I received from Steve Smith, who has been a hero to me since I was ten years old. Amazing.

"I'm going to tell everyone what an inspiring and helpful DVD "Methods and Mechanics" is. It is one of the best and most helpful drum DVDs ever. There are some great licks in there that I'm going to be shedding when I get a minute!"
--Steve Smith

"Styx drumming great Todd Sucherman earns the rank of master drummer with creative, entertaining, and artistically produced instructional package. Four and a half stars (out of five)."
--Mike Haid Modern Drummer magazine

"A stunning achievement. This DVD sets the bar high for others to follow. One of the best looking and sounding DVDs ever."
--Ken Micaleff Modern Drummer magazine

I'm overwhelmed and humbled by the reviews and the kind words I've received from drummers all over the globe. Thanks to all who've supported the project and I hope "Methods and Mechanics" is adding new dimensions to the playing of those who've picked it up!

Start your holiday shopping early---and give a copy to your favorite drummer. Or if you're a drummer, treat yourself!

Available on line and ships world wide to your door from Altitudedigital.com

http://www.altitudedigital.com/todd-sucherman-methods-and-mechanics.html

Todd,

I'm new to DrummerWorld, and saw you at Skins 'n' Tins in Champaign in October.

Really enjoyed your clinic and have a question that maybe you answered below - but that's not quite what it looked like, so I wanted to check to be sure.

Way back on page 2 of this thread you said:

The trash hats are a combo of a 14" HHX Evolution Mini China with a 12" HHX Evolution Splash on top. It's what I used in the "X-Hat" position on the big kit---but I popped those on the regular hat stand for that.

At the clinic you had a pair of stacked cymbals that *really* cut through the mix - they were just to the left of your big ride, but they appeared larger than a 12" on top of a 14".

What exactly was in that fantastic sounding stack?! *grin*

kestrou

kestrou--

Those were the same cymbals from the DVD----14" mini China and 12" splash (both Sabian Evolutions).

The exact cymbal rig will appear in the upcoming Modern Drummer Festival DVD due out sometime next year.

Thanks for your question--
Cheers!
Todd

Todd--Congratulations on the rave reviews. Well deserved. It must feel great to hear such things from a hero of yours like Steve Smith. I'm sure some 10 year-old kid out there will get the same inspiration from your work!

Hey Todd this is Brandon, I met you at the clinic you had at Weather's Music in Salem, Oregon, I talked to you about the University of Oregon jazz studies program that I am striving to get into. I just wanted to say thank you, it was the first clinic I'd ever attended and it made a huge impact on my playing and right after the clinic I played drums again that day until 9 at night. Thank you!

Hi Todd,

Greetings from England once again.

I've finally been able to order your DVD - via Amazon.

It's due to arrive just before Christmas.

In one of the drum mags over here, you're pictured with Gavin Harrison, Jason Bittner and Billy Stewart.

As yourself and Gavin are the drummers I've "discovered" in the last year, I wondered what you make of Gavin's playing.

His playing with Porcupine Tree and his solo DVD has some inspiring moments.

The pair of you have that rare combination of awesome techique AND feel.

Best wishes...

shoedaddy--

I hope so. It's amazing how what we give to others send ripples over generations. Steve wrote me a 6 page letter when I was 12 years old full of brilliant advice. I find myself passing much of that same information on to others to this day. Steve has been a tremendous influence over the years and to receive the few emails that I've received recently has been mind blowing to me. I sometimes feel like that same 12 year old kid all over again. There are no words, really. Thanks for your kind note!

branflakes992--

Thanks for that feedback and it was great to meet you in Salem. I'm glad you went home and played! That's the whole point when it comes right down to it. I wish you luck with your studies and playing. Work hard and remember to have fun while doing it!

supermac--

Thanks for ordering the DVD and I hope it adds to your holiday festivities. It was always available direct from us at Altitudedigital.com--and ships world wide. But glad you found it and I look forward to your feedback. Thanks.

I think Gavin is a brilliant player. He has his own unique voice and an elegance about his playing that puts a smile on my face. We became fast friends when we did the Montreal Drum Fest together in '06. He's been a good friend and we had more fun together at the Modern Drummer Festival and when he was just here in Austin for PASIC. I have all the PT albums and check out the record he did with 05Ric. He sounds incredible.

Thanks for your note.

Cheers-

Todd

Hey Todd!

In this month's Modern Drummer magazine, I saw your Sabian ad for AAX series! Great job and good press!

I love the AAX and HHX myself.. Just got an 18" HHX Evolution crash - really awesome stuff.. I also have a 19" Vault crash and that thing shatters glass as well as a 16" AAX Dark which blends SO well with many musical styles.

You've probably had the opportunity to experiment with many more Sabian hi-hat choices than I, but I'm looking for another set of hats to use for another group that I recently came into. It's more Modern Pop with some R&B undertones - think Justin Timberlake meets Maroon5. I was *thinking*of something in the AAX, HHX or Signature series... can you recommend something that is capable of fast hits in the music and then at times, grooving along?

I have 14" HHX Groove Hats right now but I was leaning more of a slightly lighter and at times, busier sound.

Thanks Todd!!!

Dominick

Trip--

The Hi Hats that make the rotation in my studio are these, and all have brilliant finish:

14" AA Regular (I use these live with STYX. Think classic "New Beats" in a way.)

14" HHX Evolution (Used on the big kit on the DVD "Methods and Mechanics" except for triple snare solo, which were 13" HH Bright Hats.)

14" AAX X-Celerator (rippled bottom. Bright and tight.)

Maybe you can go to your shop and audition these and see if they are what you're looking for.

Cheers!
Todd

Hey thanks Todd!

I used to have Natural finish AA Regulars (now called Mediums) - I just may have to go snatch up another pair!

Have you ever tried the Fusions (either HH or AA)?

Dominick

Todd, This comes as sort of a rookie question but I was wondering. You mention several times in the DVD about "Stating The 1" or not, as it may be. Are you referring to accentuating the first note of the 1 E and uh? Could you expound on how this changes the orchestration? Sorry for the rookie question but inquiring minds need to know!!!!

Dominick--

I have had no experience with those models at all. Sorry.

Stillgroovin-

I'm guessing you are referring to where I say that in the DVD about playing swing time. The 1 is.....well, 1. As in beat one! It doesn't change orchestration, but the rhythmic shape. The reason inexperienced jazz drummers, or some high school drummers, or rock drummers trying to play jazz sound bad is because they play the "one" ALL the time. Playing the one works is backbeat based music (boom-whack-boom-whack) but swing time should push with a forward motion. Avoiding the "one" (unless the music dictates you play the "one") gives the time more of a float and push. It swings more improvising with the anticapations and using the "one" conversationally within the rhythmic phrase, as opposed to using the "one" to block off bars and phrases. This is hopefully explained and demonstrated in the swing time section on disc 2 of the DVD.

I hope that helps.

Cheers!
Todd

OK, I see, said the blind man. Thanks!
P.S Forgot to mention, Got the Taylor Mills CD and loved it. Nice mix.

Last edited:
Stillgroovin--

Thanks for getting "Lullagoodbye" by Taylor Mills. It's my favorite record I've ever done and it's really special to me. Having Brian Wilson and Tommy Shaw appear on the record was a thrill. It's one of those records that makes you "work for it" a bit....it has depth. I'm normally not a female singer fan--but this is all heart and emotion with no American Idol vocal pyrotechnics or kitsch.

I'm really glad you dig it.

Cheers,
Todd

Back